Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-20-2016, 12:20 PM   #1546
marp68
Addict
marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
LOVE that I can adjust brightness by sliding my finger up or down the left side of the screen right beside the bezel.
Hmm, how do you do that? By installing a patch? On mine, I have to first press the little light icon at the top menu, then the horizontal light sliding bar shows up in the middle and I can then slide it from left to right to increae/decrease light.

M
marp68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:46 PM   #1547
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
It's by default and I wish I could turn it off. Just swipe by the left edge up or down. Really annoying.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:28 PM   #1548
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I agree with Blossom. When the area to swipe was literally next to the bezel, where you had to basically be touching the bezel and the screen, it was never a problem. Now that they widened the area, I find I accidentally adjust the light when I don't want to. I'd be happiest if they just put it back how it was to the narrower area to trigger it. Or a setting to entirely disable it for those who don't use it would be nice as well.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:36 PM   #1549
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by marp68 View Post
Hmm, how do you do that? By installing a patch? On mine, I have to first press the little light icon at the top menu, then the horizontal light sliding bar shows up in the middle and I can then slide it from left to right to increae/decrease light.
It's default function in the firmware. It only works when a book is open.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:57 AM   #1550
marp68
Addict
marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.marp68 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Now I see how it works. Didn't see the change in the daylight. I think it's great. Don't have to tap the little light icon first. Thanks for telling, didn't know about this feature.

And even the installed nightmode patch works with it. I have the nightmode configured to toggle at 100 %, so I just slide it all up and hold it for a few sec and it changes to nightmode.
marp68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:33 AM   #1551
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by marp68 View Post
Now I see how it works. Didn't see the change in the daylight. I think it's great. Don't have to tap the little light icon first. Thanks for telling, didn't know about this feature.
I also really like the feature. At first, it was only on the Aura. Later it was an added feature to newer firmware for other models.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:50 AM   #1552
cakepuller
cakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of lightcakepuller is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo glo
Just got my Kobo Glo HD and loving it. Had a Glo and Aura for 2+ years now. What a huge improvement in contrast and sharpness.

My only gripe is the disappearance of the light button. I don't like having to swipe up and down the left margin to essentially turn the light on and off. Plus the swiping up and down doesn't seem to work in any other screen other than a page in a book. Swiping up and down the left margin when the book cover is showing doesn't seem to work the light. Similarly for the HOME page. Or am I missing something? Anyone else manage to control the light brightness on all the screens?

I think having the button is useful especially in the case when one wakes up in the dark and wants to read with the Comfort Light on, but cannot turn it on because the swiping doesn't work for certain screens. And being in the dark makes it difficult to turn on the Comfort Light via the menu. With the button, as with the Glo and Aura, I could just reach to where the button is and turn the Comfort Light on.
cakepuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:24 PM   #1553
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The light swipe only works while reading books. Otherwise you have to go through the light icon in the top right or the menu...

For finding your way in the dark I guess the only option is to never turn off the light completely... if you set it to 1% it's still visibile in darkness but not noticable during the day.

Or you'll just have to learn the motions...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:55 PM   #1554
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
The light swipe only works while reading books. Otherwise you have to go through the light icon in the top right or the menu...

For finding your way in the dark I guess the only option is to never turn off the light completely... if you set it to 1% it's still visibile in darkness but not noticable during the day.

Or you'll just have to learn the motions...
I was thinking adjust the light right before bed.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:46 PM   #1555
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakepuller View Post
Just got my Kobo Glo HD and loving it. Had a Glo and Aura for 2+ years now. What a huge improvement in contrast and sharpness.

My only gripe is the disappearance of the light button. I don't like having to swipe up and down the left margin to essentially turn the light on and off. Plus the swiping up and down doesn't seem to work in any other screen other than a page in a book. Swiping up and down the left margin when the book cover is showing doesn't seem to work the light. Similarly for the HOME page. Or am I missing something? Anyone else manage to control the light brightness on all the screens?

I think having the button is useful especially in the case when one wakes up in the dark and wants to read with the Comfort Light on, but cannot turn it on because the swiping doesn't work for certain screens. And being in the dark makes it difficult to turn on the Comfort Light via the menu. With the button, as with the Glo and Aura, I could just reach to where the button is and turn the Comfort Light on.

i very much doubt if Kobo will bring out a new Ereader that does have a physical light switch button, it seems to have gone the same way as the micro SD card slot, abit like the Dodo gone forever, more than likely due to making the devices more cheaply.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote