Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-13-2010, 12:35 AM   #1
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
Sigil loses all text after an html error

On several occasions I have found myself in the situation, where I am editing the code directly, usually formatting or add 'proper' quotes, where I have an error, usually a misspelled entity. What happens is that if I change from the code view to the book view, I get an error message and the file will appear to be truncated in the section before the error.

At this point, if I save the file, the file will really be truncated at this point. If I quit without saving (or I save the file before going from code to book view) and the look at the xhtml in the epub, the entire is still there but there is no way that I can edit or repair the file with Sigil. All I can do is go into the epub file and fix the file with a text editor and reassemble the epub and the go back and continue with Sigil (or just copy and paste back into code view.) In any case there is noway that I can repair the file within Sigil!

I think this qualifies as a bug and I haven't found anything prior reference to this bug.

The following illustrates the problem:

<p>Providence, however, took an earlier hand in the matter, without summoning the soul of Brother Jeris to its Maker. During the summer which followed his appointment as master, a prothonotary apostolic and his retinue of clerks came by way of a donkey train to the abbey from New Rome; he introduced himself as Monsignor Malfreddo Aguerra, the postulator for the Beatus Leibowitz in the canonization procedure. With him were several Dominicans. He had come to observe the reopening of the shelter and the exploration of “Sealed Environment.” Also, to investigate such evidence as the abbey could produce that might have a bearing on the case, including-to the abbot's dismay-reports of an alleged apparition of the Beatus which had, so travelers said, come to one Francis Gerard of Utah, AOL.</p>

<p>The Saint's advocate was warmly greeted by the monks, was quartered in the rooms reserved for visiting prelates, was lavishly served by six young novices instructed to be responsive to his every whim, although, as it turned out., Monsignor Aguerra was a man of few whims, to the disappointment of would-be caterers. The finest wines were opened; Aguerra sipped them politely but preferred milk. Brother Huntsman snared plump quail and chaparral cocks for the guest's table; but after inquiring about the feeding habits of the chaparral cocks (&ldquo;Corn fed, Brother?&rdquo;&mdsash;&ldquo;No, snake-fed, Messér&rdquo, Monsignor Aguerra seemed to prefer monks-gruel in the refectory. If only he had inquired about the anonymous bits of meat in the stews, he might have preferred the truly succulent chaparral cocks. Malfreddo Aguerra insisted that life go on as usual at the abbey. But, nevertheless, the advocate was entertained each evening at recreation by fiddlers and a troupe of clowns until he began to believe that “life as usual” at the abbey must be extraordinarily lively, as lives of monastic communities go.</p>

In the second paragraph I have misspelled &mdash as &mdsash;. Sigil then truncates the file at the end first paragraph and will not allow me to fix the problem.

I will fix this instance by copying from the file in the epub and pasting into code view, but I shouldn't have to go to this much trouble to fix a typo;

I will also make a bug report but I'm curious if anyone else has run into this.

For those who might be curious, I'm making an ebook version of "A Canticle for Leibowitz" I have had at least four copies of the book and I want one that will not get lost. No its not available as an ebook from anyone.

Cheers
Grumbles

PS that smily is not supposed to be there, how do you disable the wretched thing?
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:44 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbles View Post
I will also make a bug report but I'm curious if anyone else has run into this.
hm, i cannot remember whether i have ever encountered this in sigil however i have definitely seen this behaviour when previewing an html page in chrome ; maybe it's linked to the webkit rendering ? in any case, i agree, it's problematic, especially for those of us who are doing advancing editing by typing the code and entities in ourselves in code view...

Quote:
PS that smily is not supposed to be there, how do you disable the wretched thing?
when making a new post, scroll down to the box marked "Additional Options" (you'll have to click "go advanced" if you started typing in the "quick reply" box). you'll see an option "disable smilies in text", the guy writing the text decided not to mention their wretchedness but it will still do what it says. <-- intentionally not-disabled smiley)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Hm, create an issue report on the tracker. I'll see what I can do about this.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Oh!
It may have been Sigil's fault after all
I had something like that happen during an early Beta, but did not know what I did to cause it.
Frequent saves, meant I lost little work , so I just started up again and tried not to do whatever I did, again.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote