Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-19-2023, 04:05 PM   #1
nightmodeguy
Enthusiast
nightmodeguy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Auro One
Aura one not detected

My aura one is not detected in windows 10, not detected by adobe digital editions, and not detected by calibre

Weirdly, it does sync with the kobo desktop application, and updates, but otherwise is invisible!

Any ideas?

Thanks.
nightmodeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 03:47 AM   #2
Rid
Groupie
Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura HD (R.I.P.) :(
Very strange, it may be using wifi while it is plugged into the PC?

Always double check with another PC (or 2) that was made in the last few years that came preinstalled with W10. A lot of older PC 5yr+ were not actually compatible with W10 even though Microsoft said it was. Main problem was the USB and a few other things like the fingerprint biometrics etc.

Last edited by Rid; 05-20-2023 at 05:41 AM.
Rid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2023, 10:36 PM   #3
nightmodeguy
Enthusiast

Well, the problem is solved, and it was merely that I was pushing the cancel button rather than the connect button. In addition, I’ve solved a lot of problems with my aura one which has made a marginally useful device into a wonderful device.

Using developer’s options to invert the screen (so much easier on the eyes), brighten the white LED, and adjus scaling to create larger display lettering has made it a delight to use.

But I need help with another problem. I wrote a screenplay and saved it as a password-protected PDF. So I used Adobe digital editions, and saved the script to my kobo. While I was saving, I was asked to enter the Adobe created password, and it opened the script

When I went to my kobo, I see the PDF, but when I try to open it, it says I don’t have authorization to open it because of the DRM. It says that it is protected by adobe digital rights management. It says I need to re-authorize my E reader with my Adobe ID using adobe digital editions.

What the heck is my Adobe ID

Anyway my aura one is now a very cool device indeed, even if it is four or five years old.

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2023, 11:12 PM   #4
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Adobe Digital Editions is normally used to load books with DRM from libraries and bookstores, and your Adobe ID is used to tie the book to your account. Since the Kobo sees that the PDF is encrypted, it's assuming that you bought the PDF from a store and need to authenticate with the Adobe server in order to decrypt it. It will not ask you for a password, because the Kobo only expects encrypted files if you bought them somewhere else, not because you decided to encrypt your own document.

If you want to read the PDF on your Kobo, you need to decrypt it on your PC and copy the unprotected PDF to your Kobo.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 01:44 AM   #5
nightmodeguy
Enthusiast

Many thanks.

I was beginning to think along those lines
Advert
Old 05-24-2023, 02:22 AM   #6
nightmodeguy
Enthusiast

So thanks again. I now have my screen play on the Kobo, completely readable. Is there any way to engage margin, spacing, and font options that are typical in Kobo epub on the PDF, or is PDF restricted in this regard? Can I convert the PDF to EPUB using calibre, and engage those features?
Old 05-24-2023, 03:15 AM   #7
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
PDF is generally pretty bad for e-readers, since it simulates physical pages, and e-readers are designed to reflow the text based on your font settings to create arbitrary page boundaries.

You could copy/paste the text from your PDF into a text file, or if you have the original document where you originally typed out the text (DOC? DOCX?), you could convert that into HTML or plain text and read it that way for a better experience.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 11:49 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmodeguy View Post
Well, the problem is solved, and it was merely that I was pushing the cancel button rather than the connect button. In addition, I’ve solved a lot of problems with my aura one which has made a marginally useful device into a wonderful device.

Using developer’s options to invert the screen (so much easier on the eyes), brighten the white LED, and adjus scaling to create larger display lettering has made it a delight to use.

But I need help with another problem. I wrote a screenplay and saved it as a password-protected PDF. So I used Adobe digital editions, and saved the script to my kobo. While I was saving, I was asked to enter the Adobe created password, and it opened the script

When I went to my kobo, I see the PDF, but when I try to open it, it says I don’t have authorization to open it because of the DRM. It says that it is protected by adobe digital rights management. It says I need to re-authorize my E reader with my Adobe ID using adobe digital editions.

What the heck is my Adobe ID

Anyway my aura one is now a very cool device indeed, even if it is four or five years old.

Thanks!
I suggest you turn off developer options and install NickelMenu. Read the entire thread first. That way you can see command snippets and other useful information.

NickelMenu is a lot more useful then just allowing night/dark mode.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=329525
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 10:12 PM   #9
nightmodeguy
Enthusiast

I’m not sure wher a couples of my posts disappeared to, but I managed to convert the PDF to EPUB, and was able, as I hoped, to gain all of the wonderful font, margin, spacing, etc. options that are native to EPUB. Amazing!
Ken calibre convert the newest Kindle format to EPUB?

?.
Old 05-24-2023, 10:14 PM   #10
nightmodeguy
Enthusiast

Developers mode and beta futures, allow much more adjustment than merely invert screen. Most importantly, I can get better brightness in night mode by adjusting the white LED.
Old 05-25-2023, 04:38 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Developers mode and beta futures, allow much more adjustment than merely invert screen. Most importantly, I can get better brightness in night mode by adjusting the white LED.
You can still adjust the non-warm LED outside of developer mode.
Old 05-25-2023, 04:39 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I’m not sure wher a couples of my posts disappeared to, but I managed to convert the PDF to EPUB, and was able, as I hoped, to gain all of the wonderful font, margin, spacing, etc. options that are native to EPUB. Amazing!
Ken calibre convert the newest Kindle format to EPUB?

?.
Calibre might be able to convert the newest version of KFX to ePub with the plugins. But the problem is, you can't remove the DRM. So that's out.

You need to download KF8 or Mobi and convert that to ePub.