Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-31-2022, 07:53 PM   #61
roland1
Connoisseur
roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Anyone have a problem with this—using a utf8 character in a list?

I guess I'll have to declare a utf8 standard in my html headers, no doubt. I want to replace the image-based checkmark icons I am using in my ul lists and these 2714s will do fine.

ul li::before {
content: "\2714";
display: inline-block;
margin-right:0.5em;
}

----below for ref only-----

ul {
font-family:sans serif;
padding-left:0;
margin-left:0;
list-style-type: none;
}

ul li {
padding-left: 2.0em;
font-size:0.9em;
margin:0.5em

Last edited by roland1; 03-31-2022 at 07:58 PM.
roland1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 09:13 PM   #62
roland1
Connoisseur
roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roland1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Or do I really have to suffer those squares and disks in html ul list code?
Advert
Old 03-31-2022, 09:23 PM   #63
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipgessert View Post
It’s also good to pick a measure of a unit and select some sane multiple of it for all similar measures. I do practically everything in different multiples of 1.2em, and I imagine many do the same. .6, 1.2, 1.8, 2.4.

If you like this sort of thing, the combo of Bringhurst’s book on typography + Duckett’s on HTML/CSS, plus lots of time on these forums, will get you far.
Oh, Phillip, Bringhurst? You're an evil bastard. LOLOL. It sits next to my desk, 24/7 and I refer to it often, but...dang, brother.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 09:43 PM   #64
phillipgessert
Addict
phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by roland1 View Post
I am pretty sure that the only way to keep proper left-side alignment on lists is to roll with defaults. Trying to swap em out with :before / list-style-type:none replacements pretty much always throws that off. Probably because you’re relying on the metrics for one font to get it right, but the user will probably be using another.
phillipgessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 10:01 PM   #65
roland1
Connoisseur

I was trying momentarily to live in denial. But yeah, it looks like the only place I can really stretch out stylistically is in my print books. And for my ebooks, I can just take up alcoholism. Perfect balance.

Quote:
I am pretty sure that the only way to keep proper left-side alignment on lists is to roll with defaults. Trying to swap em out with :before / list-style-type:none replacements pretty much always throws that off. Probably because you’re relying on the metrics for one font to get it right, but the user will probably be using another.
Advert
Old 04-01-2022, 11:04 AM   #66
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
I was trying momentarily to live in denial. But yeah, it looks like the only place I can really stretch out stylistically is in my print books. And for my ebooks, I can just take up alcoholism. Perfect balance.
You can try to replace the default HTML bulls, etc., all you want--but at least, for the Kindleverse, if you do, you have to manually code the layout of the lists (the hanging indent) and it doesn't work like the ol and ul coding. Not nearly as well. Ditto changing the indents. In fact, just don't eff with it at all, right?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 12:23 PM   #67
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Hey guys and gals: as worthy as this conversation is... it's just not Sigil-centric enough to keep having it here. I'm going to move it out of Sigil and into the Workshop forum.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 02:37 PM   #68
roland1
Connoisseur

The more the merrier.
Old 04-01-2022, 07:48 PM   #69
roland1
Connoisseur

I'm just looking at the SIGIL wiki html lesson page to further educate myself as to what is possible/impossible with ebooks.

Does anyone have a comment about using <div> tags? I never used them in my ebook because I didn't think nesting was necessary for what I do. But I see the selector being used with image/caption combos. Any thoughts — pros or cons about their usage?
Old 04-01-2022, 08:08 PM   #70
roland1
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
You can try...[snip]...just don't eff with it at all, right?

Hitch
I'm getting the impression that ebooks are to print book design what the desert is to the jungle. I miss all those little monkeys.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:11 PM   #71
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
I'm just looking at the SIGIL wiki html lesson page to further educate myself as to what is possible/impossible with ebooks.

Does anyone have a comment about using <div> tags? I never used them in my ebook because I didn't think nesting was necessary for what I do. But I see the selector being used with image/caption combos. Any thoughts — pros or cons about their usage?
Reverting back to the semantics reasoning... If it has a specific tag: paragraph, heading, blockquote, list, etc. then you should be using those. The <div> is used pretty much for everything else... images, poetry, or, I like to use them when there is a group of items, usually paragraphs, that I like to style separately without having to define a class on every paragraph.

For example, instead of this:
Code:
p           {normal paragraph styling}
p.different {different paragraph styling}

<p>This is a normal paragraph.</p>
<p class="different">This is a different style of paragraph.</p>
You could use:
Code:
p               {normal paragraph styling}
div.different p {different paragraph styling}

<div class="different">
  <p>This is a different style of paragraph.</p>
</div>

It makes the code much cleaner and IMO easier to keep track of what you are trying to accomplish.

I'm sure there are other uses/techniques people have around here.

One thing that really drives me nuts is when I see people use the <div> to replace an item that has it's own, semantically correct, tag. For example:

Code:
<div class="para">This is a normal paragraph.</div>
forever...

Last edited by Turtle91; 04-01-2022 at 10:14 PM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 11:32 PM   #72
roland1
Connoisseur

Yeah, that makes pretty good sense.
Old 04-01-2022, 11:44 PM   #73
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Anyone have a problem with this—using a utf8 character in a list?

I guess I'll have to declare a utf8 standard in my html headers, no doubt. I want to replace the image-based checkmark icons I am using in my ul lists and these 2714s will do fine.
While the epub standard does specify UTF-8 (or UTF-16) encoding, the issue I've seen is where the font being used does not support a glyph and the renderer does not substitute the glyph from another font. A tofu character instead of a checkmark might irritate some users.

The standard first line in an epub text file is:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
I'm assuming that you are using either & # 10004; or & # x2714; for the character (MobileRead has issues with displaying special characters so I placed a couple of spaces inside the entities). Sigil will change those numeric entities to the character entity since epub3 by default only allows 5 numeric entities.

Last edited by DNSB; 04-01-2022 at 11:48 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 05:56 AM   #74
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
it's best to use a list style in the Wordproccessor with NO bullets, symbols or numbers or letter prefixes and explicitly type them in at the start of each list item. Works 100% on every kind of Kindle, Kobo, Nook, Sony and App. Using a list style with bullets or symbols, or auto incrementing numbers or letter prefixes can fail or render incorrectly.

Avoid using any special font for bullets as by default that won't work on a Kindle. Only works if the font is embedded AND the user selects Publisher on the reader GUI.
Some apps don't even use embedded fonts in an ebook!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 01:53 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It’s also good to pick a measure of a unit and select some sane multiple of it for all similar measures. I do practically everything in different multiples of 1.2em, and I imagine many do the same. .6, 1.2, 1.8, 2.4.

If you like this sort of thing, the combo of Bringhurst’s book on typography + Duckett’s on HTML/CSS, plus lots of time on these forums, will get you far.
1.2em for the indent. 1em for a line space. 1.5em for left/right in a blockquote for the offset text. I don't do anything in multiples of 0.6/1.2em. It just does not work (IMHO). It uses extra space.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote