Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-18-2015, 03:17 PM   #1
Zdzislav
Nameless Being

Start Reading / InDesign

Hello, I'm a new on the forum so welcome!

My problem is as old as the world: how to define "start reading" page in KF8 file?

Stages of my problem looks like this:

1. I export epub 3.0 file from InDesign CC 2015
2. I unzip (eCanCrusher) this epub and add in .opf file, in section <guide> as follows:

<guide>
<reference type="text" title="start" href="DZIEDZICTWO-1.xhtml" />
<reference type="toc" title="Table of Contents" href="toc.xhtml" />
</guide>

3. I convert this epub to KF8 using Kindle Previewer
4. After conversion, Kindle Previewer shows "Start reading - not specified" in "Book information".

This problem appears only when I convert epub 3.0 to KF8. When I convert epub 2.0.1 to KF8 everything is ok. Is it a bug of InDesign?
Help me please, how can I define "start reading" in epub 3.0 converted to KF8 (using InDesign and Kindle Previewer).

Below is a link to my epub:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lx8y9hc96s...rowe.epub?dl=0

and KF8 file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i6oe2yhtr1...rowe.mobi?dl=0

Thank you for your help
Old 11-19-2015, 01:55 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
When you compile epub3 books with kindlegen it uses the start reading location definition in the landmarks section of the nav document (toc.xhtml) for KF8 books.

You'll need to add the following line there:

Code:
<li><a epub:type="bodymatter" href="DZIEDZICTWO-1.xhtml">Start reading</a></li>
BTW, I'd recommend setting it to DZIEDZICTWO-3.xhtml instead.

Last edited by Doitsu; 11-19-2015 at 02:04 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2015, 04:17 PM   #3
Zdzislav
Nameless Being

Thanks for your advice!
Old 11-23-2015, 06:30 AM   #4
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
When you compile epub3 books with kindlegen it uses the start reading location definition in the landmarks section of the nav document (toc.xhtml) for KF8 books.
Only epub3? Won't work for a book built in Sigil?
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:56 AM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Only epub3? Won't work for a book built in Sigil?
Quote:
Nav documents are an ePub3-only feature. (You can export ePub2 books as ePub3 books with the Sigil epub3 output plugin.)

If an ePub2 compatible ePub3 book contains both an opf guide section and a nav document landmarks nav element, KindleGen will ignore the opf guide section.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2015, 06:30 AM   #6
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
(You can export ePub2 books as ePub3 books with the Sigil epub3 output plugin.)
Got it -- thank you!
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, kf8, start reading