Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 12-29-2020, 12:31 PM   #826
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Woops. Was sorting before setting the column for the sort. And the default column was the worst column to sort on.

YES!!!! Though I am horrified at the size of that log file.

The attached beta should be it:
  • Fixes the sorting problem
  • Has the matching correct for Kindle devices.
  • Includes a change the "confidence" level for matching the book. More should be green in the fetched annotations list and not prompt to check the book when doing the actual import.
  • Removed the bulk of the logging.

Again, please tell me how it goes. If there are no issues, I will try and release it at the end of the week.
Thanks, David. The error is gone. Also, the change on the confidence level is really welcomed. Now, most of my notes are green (they were all yellow or red before).

Last edited by thiago.eec; 12-30-2020 at 06:00 AM.
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:51 AM   #827
Noirtier
Noirtier began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Hi David,

Thank you for all your hard work in keeping this going!

I am using a Kobo Forma with epub files and encountered an issue some months ago whereby the annotation imports stopped working. I can't recall the details now but I think it was failing halfway through import and had the impression that it might be due to an issue with a certain book which was breaking the import process (since there hadn't been any software changes from when it had been working). In any case, I came back to this again a few days ago after updating to the latest Calibre version and from v13 to v14 of the plugin. I could not get that to work at all as it just gave the following message when trying to import and then didn't do anything at all after clicking OK:
Code:
Select a book to receive annotation when annotation metadata cannot be matched with library metadata
So I then tried with your latest v14.3 beta version from this thread. That is now detecting and displaying the annotations on my device again properly, but I have noticed that they are not all being imported into Calibre successfully. If I use the "Preview" function in the import window I believe everything is displayed there correctly, but on importing into Calibre there are a few differences I have found:
  • Some sections of text are missing entirely and only the chapter heading is imported
  • When there are two sections highlighted on the device that are connected together (probably due to being on either side of a display page break on the device), both show in preview, but only the first section gets imported (the Kobo highlight software always seems a bit buggy with highlights that span across more than one page, or with any highlights that connect or overlap).
  • The order of sections might be switched around after import compared to what's in the preview (maybe due to highlight time vs. ordered position in book?)
  • Sometimes there are extra line breaks on the imported text that aren't in the preview.

Let me know if there is anything I can do that might help diagnose this. I noticed that there is a debug logging option in the plugin, but couldn't figure out where to find the log file from that?

Also, as a very minor issue – the "Import Annotations" window seems to be "always on top" / steals focus in Windows which makes it difficult to use the preview option as a workaround for getting the complete set of annotations.

I don't update my annotations very often, and can work around it with the preview display, so please don't worry about this unless you are particularly inclined

Best wishes and Happy New Year!

Last edited by Noirtier; 01-03-2021 at 05:53 AM.
Noirtier is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2021, 07:35 PM   #828
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@Noirtier: Could you install the second-last beta and run calibre in debug mode and do the fetch? I removed a lot of debug logging in the last beta. The second-last will show a lot of detail about how the annotations are merged and put into calibre.

I also need to know which books have problems and some detail about the problem. Hopefully, I can see what it going wrong from the log.

When you have the log, either attach it here, or upload somewhere and PM me the link. It would also be good to have the database from the device. From that I can tell exactly what the annotation look like. If you can supply that, that would be good..
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:26 AM   #829
omin
omin began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Poke 3, prev Kindle Paperwhite 4
Now that Calibre supports highlights with notes [0], can we make the plugin sync annotations directly to the files? I haven't looked to much into to this. Just thought this would be the perfect solution we've been waiting for.

[0]: https://calibre-ebook.com/new-in/fourteen
omin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:21 AM   #830
jxall
Enthusiast
jxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beautyjxall does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Clara HD (patched, 100% kepubs); Calibre 5 (Win10)
I just wanted to point out that lately Calibre's UI had become very slow and unresponsive when scrolling the library or searching things in the upper box.

Today I have found that hiding the 'Annotations' column (right click on the column title and then hide) is the solution to these lags and freezes.

Calibre is now responsive as it used to be, and this trick doesn't prevent me from using the Annotations plugin, which is one of my favourite.

Last edited by jxall; 01-06-2021 at 10:29 AM.
jxall is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2021, 11:41 AM   #831
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by omin View Post
Now that Calibre supports highlights with notes [0], can we make the plugin sync annotations directly to the files? I haven't looked to much into to this. Just thought this would be the perfect solution we've been waiting for.

[0]: https://calibre-ebook.com/new-in/fourteen
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor
As to importing to the calibre annotations system, that's a completely separate thing and I haven't started looking at it.
(Source: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=762)
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:43 AM   #832
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxall View Post
I just wanted to point out that lately Calibre's UI had become very slow and unresponsive when scrolling the library or searching things in the upper box.
I'm experiencing nothing like that on Linux with Calibre 5.8.1 and the latest plugin version.
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:23 PM   #833
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxall View Post

Today I have found that hiding the 'Annotations' column (right click on the column title and then hide) is the solution to these lags and freezes.

Calibre is now responsive as it used to be, and this trick doesn't prevent me from using the Annotations plugin, which is one of my favourite.
That isn't that surprising. It would never be recommended to display a long text column in the list. Each one needs to be parsed and formatted before display. The more text in these columns, and the more books with values, the longer it will take.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:57 PM   #834
misaifan
misaifan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Highlights not the same as annotations?

Hi there,

I am using a paperwhite, imported my highlights from my books to Notes in Calibre. I can see them also when opening Book Info [i]. So far so good.

1. But I've read that there are supposed to be links to directly to the locations in the book. But where?

2. In the viewer, there is nothing in the highlights. But marked text in kindle are not highlights?

I am confused. Am I doing something wrong or isn't it possible with paperwhites?

Thanks already for your help!!
misaifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 06:22 PM   #835
kch
kch began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Hello,

I'm using this plug-in with my Kobo and it's brilliant to be able to extract highlights and notes.
I wonder if there is there a way to style the extracted annotations in markdown instead of HTML. It would be very convenient then to just copy the output and paste that in other editors I am using for personal note management.
Ideally I would love to have them fetched as:

Code:
[My own note written on Kobo while reading]
    > [Associated highlighted sentences]
[Another note]
    > [Maybe even highlight that spreads]
    > [across a few paragraphs]
> [Or simply a highlight word/phrase]
Thanks in advance.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 07:11 PM   #836
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by misaifan View Post
Highlights not the same as annotations?

Hi there,

I am using a paperwhite, imported my highlights from my books to Notes in Calibre. I can see them also when opening Book Info [i]. So far so good.

1. But I've read that there are supposed to be links to directly to the locations in the book. But where?

2. In the viewer, there is nothing in the highlights. But marked text in kindle are not highlights?

I am confused. Am I doing something wrong or isn't it possible with paperwhites?

Thanks already for your help!!
The Highlights feature on calibre is not the same as this plugin. The highlights created on calibre Viewer works only there (and on the server). The annotations fetched from device using this plugin is only saved to a column.
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 07:58 PM   #837
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch View Post
Hello,

I'm using this plug-in with my Kobo and it's brilliant to be able to extract highlights and notes.
I wonder if there is there a way to style the extracted annotations in markdown instead of HTML. It would be very convenient then to just copy the output and paste that in other editors I am using for personal note management.
Ideally I would love to have them fetched as:

Code:
[My own note written on Kobo while reading]
    > [Associated highlighted sentences]
[Another note]
    > [Maybe even highlight that spreads]
    > [across a few paragraphs]
> [Or simply a highlight word/phrase]
Thanks in advance.
Sorry, I am not going to do Markdown. The annotations are fetched and stored in custom columns in your calibre library. These are formatted with HTML. You can probably generate Markdown from that.
Old 01-09-2021, 04:37 AM   #838
misaifan
misaifan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago.eec View Post
The Highlights feature on calibre is not the same as this plugin. The highlights created on calibre Viewer works only there (and on the server). The annotations fetched from device using this plugin is only saved to a column.
I see! Thanks for clarifying.

Does anybody know the roadmap, is there a chance that annotations fetched from the device will be usable with links to the location in the book (or maybe that they integrate fetched ones with the calibre-own highlights)?
misaifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 05:04 AM   #839
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by misaifan View Post
I see! Thanks for clarifying.

Does anybody know the roadmap, is there a chance that annotations fetched from the device will be usable with links to the location in the book (or maybe that they integrate fetched ones with the calibre-own highlights)?
As mentioned a few times, and copied in a post above, I intend to do this. I don't know when I will do it. And, it will only be useful for devices where we can get the actual location of the annotations. That doesn't include Kindle devices.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:34 AM   #840
Noirtier
Noirtier began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
@Noirtier: Could you install the second-last beta and run calibre in debug mode and do the fetch? I removed a lot of debug logging in the last beta. The second-last will show a lot of detail about how the annotations are merged and put into calibre.

I also need to know which books have problems and some detail about the problem. Hopefully, I can see what it going wrong from the log.

When you have the log, either attach it here, or upload somewhere and PM me the link. It would also be good to have the database from the device. From that I can tell exactly what the annotation look like. If you can supply that, that would be good..
Hi David,

Thanks for the prompt response and apologies for the delayed reply. Despite being subscribed to this thread it does not appear in my User CP and I do not seem to receive notifications of any kind for it.

I will PM you a link now for the requested files which will include:
- Debug log file after a fetch with v1.14.2
- Kobo database file
- A few example epub files where the annotations are not importing properly
- AnnotationsPreview.txt showing the annotations as appear correctly in the preview window
- AnnotationsCalibre.txt showing the annotations as imported into Calibre with some sections missing as detailed in my previous post (apart from in the final example where nothing is missing for comparison).

Let me know if anything is unclear or if I can do anything more to help.

Thanks!
Noirtier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sampleexportingapp