Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 05-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #76
fglaysher
Connoisseur
fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader & Aluratek Libre Touch
Incidentally, why is the discussion for Aluratek in the Ectaco jetBook forum?

I've posted too to the Android forum but no one there has responded.

Should there be a new location for the Aluratek Libre Touch?
fglaysher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #77
fglaysher
Connoisseur
fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fglaysher View Post

I've posted too to the Android forum but no one there has responded.

Should there be a new location for the Aluratek Libre Touch?
Android forum:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=133015
Advert
Old 05-15-2011, 07:18 PM   #78
icedtea
elibrary love
icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, RIP Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by fglaysher View Post
The Jetbook and Aluratek Libre Pro are essentially the same device with different firmware.

Now that this subforum got demoted to 'more devices' instead of its own section on the main forum page, where it used to be, it may be harder to find for newbies.
icedtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:03 PM   #79
binky
Book Monkey
binky doesn't litterbinky doesn't litter

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
Quote:
I have the Aldiko Pro on my Nexus S and would love to be able to use that too on Libre. Something to think about.
Try searching for the apk installation file for the app. If you're not having any luck let me know and I'll see if I can dig one up. I believe I have the Moon+ Reader v1.4 and v2.21 apk files somewhere.
binky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:12 PM   #80
fglaysher
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by binky View Post
Try searching for the apk installation file for the app. If you're not having any luck let me know and I'll see if I can dig one up. I believe I have the Moon+ Reader v1.4 and v2.21 apk files somewhere.
I googled it but the sites I found said it needs Android 2.+ The Aluratek Libre has only Android 1.5 - I probably shouldn't take a chance on it.

Do you really think I could just install Moon+ or Aldiko on it and it would run all right?
Advert
Old 05-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #81
binky
Book Monkey

fgalysher, just Google Aldiko for Android 1.5, I got a whole whack of search results. I don't have an Android 1.5 device so I can't say for sure, but I'm willing to bet that if you get the right version it'll work, and there are about 50 sites with links to apks that say it will.

Edit: Yup, found a bunch of Youtube videos of guys with cheap Android eReaders on 1.5 using Aldiko, and I found the older versions of Moon+ Reader for 1.5 as well. You should be fine once you get the right version.

That's no guarantee that it'll install properly on the Libre Touch though, devices can be flakey, but even if the installation fails or it doesn't launch properly you can just uninstall it.

For Aldiko try v1.2.6 and work your way backwards till something sticks, for Moon+ I'd say give v1.2.23 a shot.

Let me know if you have any more questions, or shoot me a PM.

Last edited by binky; 05-19-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:20 PM   #82
fglaysher
Connoisseur

Quote:
Aldiko v1.2.6 .
I found and have installed Aldiko. It's importing some books. I'll have to tinker with it, but am encouraged. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:32 AM   #83
rscudder
gadget freak
rscudder began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre touch, Augen 'The Book'
My Libre Pro was assassinated over the weekend, and while I was checking prices I saw the Libre touch - and this thread, so I ordered it. It came yesterday.

There are a number of features in the Libre Pro that would be nice to be on this - so I am getting an introduction to Android Apps

I found the version of Aldiko (1.2.6) on the freewarelovers.com site mentioned above for the file explorer app - it is here - Download Aldiko Book Reader for Android

I also found a widget manager - installing the file explorer and Aldiko is going to fill the homescreen widget space - and I have not figured out how to move things off of there. yet. I'll post on how the widget manager works.

Before I found an Aldiko version I found the FBreader - and when I tried to install that it told me it would replace the current reader, so I backed off quickly.

I also found an early version of the Kindle for Mobile and tried installing that, but no go.

I moved my SD card contents to a microcard, and it found them. I also found the manual - it is hiding in the free ebooks, if anyone is looking. It is about 40 pages, so much more helpful that the quick start guide. Aluratek does not have the manual for this in their downloads for manuals yet.

Can you tell I am excited?
rscudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #84
fglaysher
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscudder View Post
...Aldiko (1.2.6) on the freewarelovers.com site mentioned above for the file explorer app http://www.freewarelovers.com/androi...ko-book-reader

I also found a widget manager - installing the file explorer and Aldiko is going to fill the homescreen widget space - and I have not figured out how to move things off of there. yet. I'll post on how the widget manager works....

I also found an early version of the Kindle for Mobile and tried installing that, but no go.

... I also found the manual - it is hiding in the free ebooks, if anyone is looking. It is about 40 pages, so much more helpful that the quick start guide. Aluratek does not have the manual for this in their downloads for manuals yet.

Can you tell I am excited?
It's an exciting reader! I'm enjoying it. I've found it handles PDFs really well, so far, too. I have Aldiko but haven't yet configured it much, but will. I tried Kindle but couldn't get it to download. It requires Android 2.0 so I don't know if there's a way around it. The Libre Touch is supposed to handle PRC files direct, so there might be a way.

Let us know about the widget manager. I don't really understand what it is or does. If would replace the firmware page with something like a desktop or a choice of programs, I'd love it!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:55 AM   #85
binky
Book Monkey

You can usually find earlier versions of apps for 1.5 computability. I'm very much biased towards Moon+ Reader at the moment though, somewhat better than Aldiko I think. Hopefully someone will root the libre touch soon as well, then you can see if 2.3 will run on it ha ha.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #86
fglaysher
Connoisseur

Quote:
You can usually find earlier versions of apps for 1.5 computability. I'm very much biased towards Moon+ Reader at the moment though, somewhat better than Aldiko I think. Hopefully someone will root the libre touch soon as well, then you can see if 2.3 will run on it ha ha.
Actually, I spent a couple of hours trying unsuccessfully to find Moon+ for 1.5... Googling would include the version number but then only have the current on every site, including the company. So if you stumble on to it, please post a link here. I've given up.

Aldiko, unfortunately, wants to import all of my 4,000 plus books and then chokes on the processing. I think too that wastes twice the space on the SD card.... Anyone know of a 3rd reader that might work?

I've been talking with people about the Libre Touch on the Android forum. Anyone else interested in moving discussion there? Two threads for the same device is time consuming. Under the OS makes more sense to me...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...54#post1557554
Old 05-28-2011, 01:34 PM   #87
lvd4
Enthusiast
lvd4 began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise 1150
Aluratek Libre 7" Color

Just received from Dell. I can't get more than 3.5 hours life on the battery! I charged it for 12 hours - still says 3.5 hours. I ONLY use it for reading. Have the brightness down to 10%. This is not what I have been reading that others get. I have a Ticket in with Aluratek Support. Anyone, in the meantime, experienced this?
I have not upgraded the firmware - not sure that would make any difference for this problem.

lvd4
lvd4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:17 PM   #88
readmorebooks
readmorebooks began at the beginning.

Device: Libre Touch
Would you mind sharing how I would import Aldiko onto the Libre Touch? I have downloaded the program on to my laptop and I'm not sure where to go from there.
I see that this program will allow me to change the background to black and the font white. Would you confirm that this is true. Thanks very much!

[QUOTE=fglaysher;1557557]Actually, I spent a couple of hours trying unsuccessfully to find Moon+ for 1.5... Googling would include the version number but then only have the current on every site, including the company. So if you stumble on to it, please post a link here. I've given up.

Aldiko, unfortunately, wants to import all of my 4,000 plus books and then chokes on the processing. I think too that wastes twice the space on the SD card.... Anyone know of a 3rd reader that might work?
readmorebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:55 AM   #89
binky
Book Monkey

readmorebooks, you should be able to copy the apk file to storage accessible on the libre touch (the internal memory or the SD card) then browse to it through the file manager and run it, there should be an app launcher or something that will pop up automatically and prompt you to install.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #90
readmorebooks
readmorebooks began at the beginning.

Device: Libre Touch
adding titles to Aldiko app

Quote:
readmorebooks, you should be able to copy the apk file to storage accessible on the libre touch (the internal memory or the SD card) then browse to it through the file manager and run it, there should be an app launcher or something that will pop up automatically and prompt you to install.
Thanks. I now have it loaded on the Libre Touch. I have tried to put epub books from the library into the Aldiko reader. They are sitting on the shelf in the app but when I try to open them the message says "failed to open book possible reasons file is DRM-protected, file is invalid or corrupt (although it is working in the regular Libre reader) and phone is running low on memory (not the case)". I should be able to read books from overdrive on this app shouldn't I? The Aldiko site has been down for the last day so I can't access the online support. Thanks for any help you can offer.
readmorebooks is offline   Reply With Quote