Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 06-02-2007, 11:45 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The future of the Foleo - SOLVED!

Here's what I think the Foleo line of business really is in Palm's mind...

In essence, this thing is (or at least will be in the future) an Internet tablet in the form factor of a highly portable laptop, and tightly coupled with the smart phone.

If this is true, you can characterize these devices with three basic points:
1) Web applications and browsing
2) Data connectivity through the smart phone
3) Integration of data and applications with the smart phone

With those guiding points, and a lot more technology and price improvements over the future, I think it makes sense as a significant line of business that has unlimited potential.

The entire future of web applications will be available on the Foleo. There is no limit to the creative ways that the smartphone applications can integrate the two and make life simpler for the user. And additional features like 3rd party applications, OneNote lookalikes, multimedia, e-books, etc are a natural addition. Even the hardware can have all kinds of form factors and capabilities (like touchscreens). It could be anything from dumb terminal to super computer in your pocket (Clarification: Well, technically, this probably wouldn't make any sense if it actually fit in your pocket, because that's where your smart phone would be. But it certainly could be a high powered device and it could couple with anything from a simple feature phone to a top of the line high powered smart phone of the future.) Maybe even some UMPC models running Windows, but the key for Palm is that it has Palm's special flavor of usability and integration. That's one reason why Treo works - Palm has insisted on implementing its own special usability characteristics that you don't find elsewhere.

When you look at it this way, it's clear that the first device is just the tip of the iceberg. And the future is wide open. It looks bright for Palm if they can execute. And Jeff Hawkins can still be our hero. And once again the world makes sense!
Old 06-02-2007, 12:50 PM   #2
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Hawkins recent CNET interview has given me hope. This looks like the first step in a major redesign for the Treo and if there is good software for the Foleo I will definitely want one.
Advert
Old 06-02-2007, 02:08 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I should also point out one obvious way that the devices can be integrated is by making the Foleo a true terminal for the smart phone. At least that would give you an instant boost in functionality, even if the apps need touch screen or d-pad and don't support the full screen size yet. Doesn't sound like Palm is planning this, however.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:55 PM   #4
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

If the web browser included on the Foleo supports Javascript...and if it supports Flash...and if it supports Silverlight...and if it supports Flex...

...then that may work. Web applications are moving toward more and more processing being done on the client, though, so for the Foleo to act as an internet-connected dumb terminal will not be as useful as it might sound. Not to throw rain on the parade, but these details will make or break the implementation.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:39 PM   #5
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Can you say Folly'o!

Seriously if you need what it does, go for it!

What bothers me the most about it is its lack of horsepower, it is just a tad short of what would make it a bearable media tool. I base this on Engadget's interview with Hawkings where they say that its nternet video rendition is kind of choppy.

But I will try it. Somethig similar to this device is what I'm looking for. The dominance of MS bugs me and Apple is stuck in classical kind of hardware phase. Companies like Palm and Irex that think outside of the box are much more atune to my likings.
Advert
Old 06-02-2007, 04:52 PM   #6
nathanwms
nathanwms began at the beginning.

Device: Sharp Zaurus SL-C760
But isn't the market already moving toward? 1) Web applications and browsing?
2) Data connectivity through the smart phone? 3) Integration of data and applications with the smart phone? How does the Foleo significantly distinguish Palm from those producing UMPCs & the upcoming MIDs. Especially the MIDs which are designed to be very portable companions to your PC and phone, some with cellular connectivity and others relying on BT through the phone. Couple that with Google and others developing web-based office suites and I fail to see how the Foleo makes Palm a frontrunner in this race.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:50 PM   #7
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
MIDs and ECDs

It puzzled me about what "MIDs" might be. Google tells me it could be the "Madras Institute of Development Studies". Hmm. Doesn't fit. The urban dictionary suggests "mid-grade marijuana". Again, a bad fit. Ah! Finally, "Mobile Internet Devices".

Yes, nathanwms, I think you are right about the trend toward a very portable browsing device. Devices like the Pepper Pad and the new Samsung are very cool. As soon as I can use Skype or a similarly capable VoIP client on one of them, I will probably buy it. I really like the idea of toting my MID around the house as needed rather than being shackled to the computer desk. Yes, I have heard of the portable laptop, but it is not quite so convenient as a MID. It also tends to become cluttered with cables and add-ons that have a certain fragility about them.

Will I want to carry two devices to accomplish this? I think not. My sense of urgency for portable VoIP is increasing monthly. It will eventually motivate a purchase. A MID would be quite satisfactory for this purpose, as I carry a bag habitually, and it would be convenient to have a Pepper Pad sized device with me at all times.

Oh! I forgot! I carry a cell phone too! But it is not a smartphone. I carry a Palm too for the PIM functionality. What I would really like is the phone functionality, VoIP functionality, PIM functionality, and browsing all in one device. Some day I will have one embedded under my skin. I will talk to it softly and it will whisper in my ear. I will see brightly colored images out in front of me, and I will manipulate them using eye and hand movements. My Embedded Computing Device (ECD) will have a lifetime of storage plus immensely fast connectivity. My ECD will probably have a feminine personality and a pleasing voice. My wife will be jealous of her.

Last edited by mogui; 06-02-2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:01 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Does she have a name, mogui?
Old 06-03-2007, 01:55 AM   #9
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Does she have a name, mogui?
Her name is on the project plan toward the end, but it is not a critical path item.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:19 PM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
It must be tough for a guy at the top to be stuck with a MID!
Old 06-05-2007, 05:23 PM   #11
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
Bob, I want to compliment you on your redesign of the Foleo: what you are describing is not what's there. It's what you see possibly developing, which is a very different thing. As others here have pointed out, we do not need a new hardware device like this to make use of web-based applications a la Google. I can already use those on my smartphone. And, as for the larger screen and the keyboard, my reaction is, "so what". There are promised pullout screens (of course, who knows when we will see those), so why is Hawkins now offering us just that, along with the need to carry a second device? That is something I simply don't understand: why not integrate the wireless into the device to begin with?

Last edited by radleyp; 06-05-2007 at 06:06 PM.