Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-27-2019, 11:24 AM   #1
marjoja
marjoja began at the beginning.

Device: none
Buying first e-reader, help appreciated

I have read e-books for about 15 years, first from a Palm PDA, then from smartphones. Now might be time to move to a dedicated e-reader.

I have all my ebooks as epubs, I use Calibre to convert them if needed. I don't want a big device, and I need a device suitable for reading at nighttime, my partner sleeps next to me and I don't want to disturb him if I wake up at night and decide to read for a while.

I have narrowed my current options down to Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Clara HD and Kobo Aura H2O edition 2.

PW was my first choice, but I think it's going to be ruled out because the frontlight color is better in Kobos. I had almost decided to order Clara HD, but then the lightbleed problems made me reconsider, I've seen the video for fixing it with tape, but I'd rather get a device that works properly without fixing the hardware. So now I'm thinking about the H2O2. I haven't found that much information about it yet, it's a bit difficult to search with the name written in different ways...

Are there similar common problems with H2O2 as there are with Clara (and maybe in PW, there was quite much conversation about its charging issues)?

The only things I want from a reader is the ability to read books. I don't want anything extra, the main reason for getting a dedicated ereader is getting rid of the notifications coming to the phone, and having a better screen for reading. I don't really think a bigger reader is an option, I'd like to be able to carry the reader with me in a handbag (it doesn't have to fit in a pocket).

I live in Finland, and so far the most probable shopping place for the ereader is Amazon.de, they sell both Kobos too. Any suggestions for shopping places are welcome too, but Amazon.de has worked fine earlier, so no problem with that. But location is one of the reasons, why I hesitate with Clara, if it was sold in a store somewhere near, I would probably go there and try to find one without the light bleed problem.

So any opinions, reviews and advice would be very welcome. I don't really know much about other models or makers, so I'm open to other suggestions too, if anything comes to mind. But I should be able to order the reader online from some EU country, and English is my preferred language (Finnish and Swedish are ok too, but that doesn't help a lot...).
marjoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:45 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoja View Post
...I need a device suitable for reading at nighttime, my partner sleeps next to me and I don't want to disturb him if I wake up at night and decide to read for a while.

I have narrowed my current options down to Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Clara HD and Kobo Aura H2O edition 2.
I regularly read at night in a darkened room, and the difference between my older Kobo Aura and Glowlight Plus (white screen) and the Glowlight 3 (adjustable color) is very noticeable. The amber glow of the Glowlight 3 is less glaring. I'd definitely recommend one of the Kobos with adjustable lighting over the Paperwhite.

Quote:
I had almost decided to order Clara HD, but then the lightbleed problems made me reconsider, I've seen the video for fixing it with tape, but I'd rather get a device that works properly without fixing the hardware. So now I'm thinking about the H2O2. I haven't found that much information about it yet, it's a bit difficult to search with the name written in different ways...
I think the Clara's lightbleed is real, but overstated. I've heard that Kobo's fixed it in newer models. But having said all that, I don't blame you for being reticent.

Kobo in general seems prone to technical difficulties on their readers. The Clara, Forma and Aura One all seem to have different complaints.

But I have never heard of any of those issues regarding the H2O (1 or 2). It seems to be a good and stable reader. You get the waterproofing of the Paperwhite and the color changing light of the Clara.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:37 PM   #3
Cedros
Enthusiast
Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara; Kobo H20v2; Kobo Glo HD;
Marjoja,

I bought a Clara HD four months ago, in November. I ordered it from Rakuten. Excellent screen, no light-bleeding issues, and the battery is good. The screen is small, which does mean a lot of page turns. I also have a Kobo Aura H20 v 2, and really appreciate the larger screen. In many ways, I find the H20 the perfect e-reader. So far, no technical problems with either. The night-light on both models is a real asset.

Hope this helps!
Cedros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:33 AM   #4
marjoja

Thank you for your answers.

I hadn't even thought about the page turns, so now when Cedros mentioned it, it helped me to make the decision, so I'll order the H2O.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:58 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedros View Post
I bought a Clara HD four months ago, in November. I ordered it from Rakuten. Excellent screen, no light-bleeding issues...
It's good to hear the light bleed issue appears to be fixed. It kept me from buying a Clara when they were first released. And now I'm hoping they're going to announce a follow-up that adds waterproofing!

Quote:
The screen is small, which does mean a lot of page turns. I also have a Kobo Aura H20 v 2, and really appreciate the larger screen. In many ways, I find the H20 the perfect e-reader.
The H2O is everything I want in a reader, but I prefer the smaller 6" screens. They more closely match the old mass market paperbacks I preferred reading.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:54 PM   #6
marjoja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The H2O is everything I want in a reader, but I prefer the smaller 6" screens. They more closely match the old mass market paperbacks I preferred reading.
I originally thought that I would want the 6" screen, but when I drew the measurements of both Clara and H2O2 to the same page of my notebook, the size difference was ok to me. Although I am currently reading a hardcover book with about 400 pages, so both are quite a lot smaller than that...
Old 03-28-2019, 03:02 PM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I never seen Light Bleeds I had 3 Clara HDs
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote