Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2017, 09:27 AM   #1
JS_F
JS_F can illuminate an eclipseJS_F can illuminate an eclipseJS_F can illuminate an eclipseJS_F can illuminate an eclipseJS_F can illuminate an eclipseJS_F can illuminate an eclipseJS_F can illuminate an eclipseJS_F can illuminate an eclipseJS_F can illuminate an eclipseJS_F can illuminate an eclipseJS_F can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
A Javascript to transfer files without using Digital Paper App for Sony DPT-RP1

Here is the link: http://github.com/janten/dpt-rp1-py

Here is the original post link (in German): https://forum.golem.de/kommentare/so...ml#msg-4905878

Unfortunately, I don't know how to run the Javascript file. Anyone has tried it yet? I would be very happy if someone could kindly offer an instruction.
JS_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2017, 03:02 PM   #2
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
Why does this thread not receive the crazy amount of feedback it should? This is awesome news. A REST API over a emulated network device via USB.

Everyone can use the RP1 now!

People, give this guy some karma for finding this!
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:09 AM   #3
Philippe D.
Connoisseur
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o
Well, I'm still waiting on some more reports on this, before I get all excited - though, indeed, it is very good news if it works well.

Besides, Sony doesn't seem to show much interest in selling lots of RP1's to people in my part of the world; I just looked at their French website, and searches for things like "digital paper" or "RP1" turned up exactly... nothing.

But, yes - as someone who would be a potential user of the RP1 if it were more friendly to my use - I'm still following this part of the forum.
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:48 PM   #4
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well those reports wont just write themselves. Someone ought to try it! If I had an RP1, which I don't, I'd given it a run. Everyone just a bit too convenient to try it after they got that fantastic app of Sony's running?

Philippe, you want the RP1? They ship from Amazone and B&H, see here on Sony's intl. page. I had very good experience with B&H for deliveries to Germany, so I take it the same would apply to France.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:33 AM   #5
M4H35H
M4H35H began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Hanvon E920, Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS_F View Post
I would be very happy if someone could kindly offer an instruction.
I imagine you need to install Python on your PC to run the script.
M4H35H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:24 AM   #6
janten
janten began at the beginning.

Device: DPT-RP1
Hi everyone,

someone just tipped me that you guys discovered my Python (not JavaScript) script which I use do upload documents to my DPT-RP1. I realize that it is not very user friendly, it's just something I hacked together over the course of some days. The important findings are:
  • All interactions between the DPT-RP1 and the Digital Paper App use a REST interface that runs on the reader. When connected via WiFi, Bluetooth, or USB, the reader is available as digitalpaper.local.
  • The initial certificate generation and registration uses an unsecured interface at http://digitalpaper.local:8080, documents are transferred over a secured interface at https://digitalpaper.local:8443. You can either extract the certificates for the secure connection from the Digital Paper application or simply ignore the certificate validation.
  • When connected via USB, the reader presents itself as a network adapter. This is only required for the initial configuration. Once the reader has been set up, everything works via WiFi.
  • You can do the initial pairing using the Digital Paper application in a virtual machine running Windows on a Linux host. Simply pass the USB network device to the VM.
janten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:20 PM   #7
JS_F
JS_F can illuminate an eclipseJS_F can illuminate an eclipseJS_F can illuminate an eclipseJS_F can illuminate an eclipseJS_F can illuminate an eclipseJS_F can illuminate an eclipseJS_F can illuminate an eclipseJS_F can illuminate an eclipseJS_F can illuminate an eclipseJS_F can illuminate an eclipseJS_F can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Could anyone kindly write an instruction for end-users? The process seems really complicated and confusing for me at least.
JS_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:59 PM   #8
Philippe D.
Connoisseur
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManDay View Post
Philippe, you want the RP1? They ship from Amazone and B&H, see here on Sony's intl. page. I had very good experience with B&H for deliveries to Germany, so I take it the same would apply to France.
Actually, I decided to order the Remarkable - the smaller display should be fine for my use cases, it's more easily portable, and I'm curious about the writing experience. I'll only go back to the Sony if the Remarkable turns out to be difficult to use (which I hope it won't - the end cost of buying both would be pretty steep).

But, I'm still following this, just in case
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:14 AM   #9
ManDay
E-Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
Actually, I decided to order the Remarkable - the smaller display should be fine for my use cases, it's more easily portable, and I'm curious about the writing experience. I'll only go back to the Sony if the Remarkable turns out to be difficult to use (which I hope it won't - the end cost of buying both would be pretty steep).

But, I'm still following this, just in case
Wrong thread to make this into a discussion, but I sure will be interested to read your opinion about the re-markable. The review I've seen so far has been rather off-putting concerning the feature (or lack thereof) and bug richness of the software. But I'm also wondering whether my next purchase should be the Sony or the re-markable.