Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-28-2018, 10:01 AM   #46
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
The above mention of John Wayne reminded me of one of my favorite Wayne movies, Hondo. Evidently it was from an early story by Louis L'Amour. He helped with the screenplay and then went on to write the book, Hondo, which fellows the movie almost exactly and contains all that great Wayne dialogue.

“You baked this morning.” His voice was matter of fact. “I can smell fresh bread on you. Sometime today you cooked salt pork. I can smell that on you. And I can smell soap all over you. You took a bath. On top of that, you smell all over like a woman. A woman’s got a different smell from a man. Not salty and sharp, but kinda soft and rich and warm. I could find you in the dark, Mrs. Lowe, and I’m only part Indian.”
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 12:39 PM   #47
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
The above mention of John Wayne reminded me of one of my favorite Wayne movies, Hondo. Evidently it was from an early story by Louis L'Amour. He helped with the screenplay and then went on to write the book, Hondo, which fellows the movie almost exactly and contains all that great Wayne dialogue.

“You baked this morning.” His voice was matter of fact. “I can smell fresh bread on you. Sometime today you cooked salt pork. I can smell that on you. And I can smell soap all over you. You took a bath. On top of that, you smell all over like a woman. A woman’s got a different smell from a man. Not salty and sharp, but kinda soft and rich and warm. I could find you in the dark, Mrs. Lowe, and I’m only part Indian.”
There was a poll taken some 20 yrs after John Wayne died to see who the most popular movie star was. Mr. Wayne won hands down.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2018, 04:43 AM   #48
wildhoney66
Zealot
wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Amazon Fire HD 10
i was thinking of the 2005 version actually. odd Thomas never came out around here so maybe that's why they haven't done a sequel? it only ran in i think select theatere's
wildhoney66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:35 PM   #49
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhoney66 View Post
i was thinking of the 2005 version actually. odd Thomas never came out around here so maybe that's why they haven't done a sequel? it only ran in i think select theatere's
Well...the actor who played Odd, Anton Yelchin, died, as someone else posted. He was pretty damn perfect, for the movie role, and the studio(s) probably rightly think that it would be difficult to cast a replacement. It's a shame, I really liked that movie (for a change).

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:26 AM   #50
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Has anyone seen The Sisters Brothers (an adaptation of the book of the same name)? I'm wondering if it's worth renting from Amazon Video. I was a big fan of the book and had no idea whatsoever they'd made it into a movie.

I'm not really interested in whether or not they were "true to the book" (other than it being a quirky western). So regardless of whether you've read it or not, your opinions on the film would be welcomed.

The rating on Amazon Video is fairly "meh," but that's pretty meaningless when it comes to things I tend to like.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-21-2019 at 11:29 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2019, 01:48 PM   #51
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
It's interesting reading the stories of how various films were restored. For example the John Wayne film, the High and the Mighty was not available for a long while. In the end, they had to piece it together from multiple prints. The original archive print was ruined when the vault it was in flooded, if I remember correctly.

I can remember watching one restored movie a number of years ago (can't remember the name of the movie at the moment) where they had the audio track, but not the film for several sections, so they just played the audio track with various stills from the movie during those sections. It was kind of an interesting effect as I remember it.
They had a similar but different problem with Disney's "Pollyanna" I understand. They were supposed to be using the 3 strip technicolor process to create the colors but when they went back to the original strips (when they wanted to release the movie for home use) they found someone instead of using red, green and blue strips had accidentally done red, blue and blue strips so that they had to figure out a way to convert one of the blue strips to a green tinted strip so that the colors would register properly. Without that things like yellow boxes (that a character carries in one scene) looked pink among other color problems. Modern film stock has problems with fading as well. When they went back to make the VHS version of "The Godfather" they found that the print was fading after only about 20 yrs as a result of the film stock not keeping its colors like older 3 strip technicolor film did. So it's not just real old films that have had problems alas.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:50 PM   #52
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Well...the actor who played Odd, Anton Yelchin, died, as someone else posted. He was pretty damn perfect, for the movie role, and the studio(s) probably rightly think that it would be difficult to cast a replacement. It's a shame, I really liked that movie (for a change).

Hitch
I know him primarily from his role in the new Star Trek movies as Chekov.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:52 PM   #53
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
Great Thread! As a long time movie goer I wonder how many I have see in my 86 years?

Just re-watched The Time Machine (1960) on FilmStruck and so re-read the Wells short story. Overall, the film is better. Many extra little touches such as the candle burning down, the manikin's style changes, the 1966 3rd World War and, of course, the love story. Wells took the bleak outlook for human-kind a bit further and Weena was more like a child than woman. But the film's final "Which three books would you take?" is classic.
Alas it seems Filmstruck has closed as of November 29, 2018.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:40 PM   #54
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Has anyone seen The Sisters Brothers (an adaptation of the book of the same name)? I'm wondering if it's worth renting from Amazon Video. I was a big fan of the book and had no idea whatsoever they'd made it into a movie.

I'm not really interested in whether or not they were "true to the book" (other than it being a quirky western). So regardless of whether you've read it or not, your opinions on the film would be welcomed.

The rating on Amazon Video is fairly "meh," but that's pretty meaningless when it comes to things I tend to like.
Can't help, but since you've revived the thread I'll piggyback my own question.

Has anyone seen They Shall Not Grow Old, the Great War documentary released last year? It was only shown on a few dates in December and January and I could never make it; now that it's in wider release it's no place especially close, although I can make the effort if I must.

I'm something of a Great War buff and I want to see it no matter what, but I wondered if anyone here had seen it?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:50 PM   #55
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Alas it seems Filmstruck has closed as of November 29, 2018.

Yes, I was pretty unhappy about THAT, too.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:36 PM   #56
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post

Has anyone seen They Shall Not Grow Old, the Great War documentary released last year? It was only shown on a few dates in December and January and I could never make it; now that it's in wider release it's no place especially close, although I can make the effort if I must.

I'm something of a Great War buff and I want to see it no matter what, but I wondered if anyone here had seen it?
I haven't seen it , but it looks great
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:58 AM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post

Yes, it was shown on the BBC and it's superb. I really enjoyed watching it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:13 AM   #58
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, it was shown on the BBC and it's superb. I really enjoyed watching it.
You have to wonder if it may be released to DVD perhaps. I know some shows from the BBC have been or have been up at places like Youtube.com as well.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:25 AM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
You have to wonder if it may be released to DVD perhaps.
It is available on DVD. Did you look?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/They-Shall-.../dp/B07KK42BTV
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:32 AM   #60
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It is available on DVD. Did you look?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/They-Shall-.../dp/B07KK42BTV
Since he’s in the US I’m guessing he’d be looking for a region 1 release? AFAIK we’re still waiting for that to be announced.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote