Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-11-2018, 01:37 AM   #16
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Assume I am on the jailbroken device with 5.9.4 firmware and got uImage and rootfs.img from, say, 5.8.7.0.1 update bin. Will this script downgrade the firmware?
Code:
#!/bin/sh

dd if=/mnt/us/uImage of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=4096 seek=65 
dd if=/mnt/us/rootfs.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4096
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:06 AM   #17
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Almost.

*) Take a look at my Backup script to confirm that offset (seek) of 65*4096 for the uImage
(the backup script tests the recovered uImage to be certain of both its start and its length)

*) The runme script is a function of the 'main' operating system and here you are replacing the system that is running.

A *nix system allows open files that are in-use to be replaced (hot replacement), but I don't think replacing the entire system while it is running is a "good idea".
That is something which has always been avoided in the series 5.x de-bricking and I feel best sticking with what geekmaster found should be avoided.

Now a runme script that reboots the system into "diags", so that you can replace the "main" system when it is shut down (cold replacement), that is what geekmaster always posted in the past.

(Note: He is in gamma knife surgery this morning, so it is not a good idea to be PM'ing him on this subject now.)

Sorry, I don't have a link to the backup script, but it is in a thread started by myself, that should make it easier to find.

Last edited by knc1; 04-11-2018 at 09:09 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2018, 10:38 AM   #18
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Thank you, I have your backup script, I'll look at it. I see it is not a good idea to overwrite running system.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:26 AM   #19
AnimalOfArt
Groupie
AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: changing frequently
Has anyone tried to shutdown the device completely by using

Code:
#!/bin/sh
halt
?
AnimalOfArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:57 AM   #20
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalOfArt View Post
Has anyone tried to shutdown the device completely by using

Code:
#!/bin/sh
halt
?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=211677
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2018, 02:45 PM   #21
AnimalOfArt
Groupie
AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Thank you for your quick answer. Yes, that's where I got the little piece of code from. I just wanted to know if somebody already tried it and can confirm that it works on a jailbroken KOA2. I have the possibility to get a device with factory fw, and the fact that I could turn it off completely once it's jailbroken, would make the decision easier for me.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:31 PM   #22
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Thank you for your quick answer. Yes, that's where I got the little piece of code from. I just wanted to know if somebody already tried it and can confirm that it works on a jailbroken KOA2. I have the possibility to get a device with factory fw, and the fact that I could turn it off completely once it's jailbroken, would make the decision easier for me.
You didn't specify the device.

It works fine on the Voyage, but it turns out I've never tried it on the KOA2.

I just did. It halts fine, but it shows the boy sitting under a tree and says something like:
"Please wait while your Kindle starts" even though it is off. When the power button is pressed, it boots as normal.

ETA: It's been so long since I used it on the Voyage that I forgot the Voyage also shows the boy under the tree screen even though it is off.

Last edited by j.p.s; 08-10-2018 at 04:53 PM.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:52 AM   #23
AnimalOfArt
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
You didn't specify the device.

It works fine on the Voyage, but it turns out I've never tried it on the KOA2.

I just did. It halts fine, but it shows the boy sitting under a tree and says something like:
"Please wait while your Kindle starts" even though it is off. When the power button is pressed, it boots as normal.

ETA: It's been so long since I used it on the Voyage that I forgot the Voyage also shows the boy under the tree screen even though it is off.
Sorry for not specifying the device. Because KOA2 is the only device yet, which has to take the uncomfortable way to start extensions through runme scripts (all others can use KUAL), I thought this thread is all about KOA2.

Thank you very much for testing and yes this is the same behavior as on the Voyage. I had one last year but it got broken, so I will try to get the new Oasis with factory fw.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:48 AM   #24
Antinoos
Groupie
Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: PW3, KT3 (fw 5.8.11 with jb)
Quote:
I thought this thread is all about KOA2.
Not at all! The fake registration script in #3 did help me a very lot to make my PW3 and KT3 much better usable... (both are used offline - permanent airplane mode - and without Amazon account only)
Antinoos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fake registration, runme