Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #1
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Auto Transfers to Whisper

Can someone tell me does the content of your Kindle automatically get uploaded to your Whisper account as a backup or only what you pick and choose..?? (assuming the wifi-3G is available)..Thanks !!
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No; the only thing that get uploaded are your annotation, and even then only for the content that you've bought from Amazon. Files that you've loaded on to the Kindle yourself are not backed up - it's up to you to keep backups. Content that you've bought from Amazon isn't uploaded either, but can, of course, be re-downloaded from Amazon's servers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
I believe Whispernet is a service, not an account; perhaps you meant your Amazon account? If you go to the "manage your Kindle" section on Amazon, you will see what eBooks you have purchased from Amazon. Only ebooks/newspapers/magazines purchased from/downloaded from Amazon will show on your Amazon account. Amazon, theoretically anyway , has no knowledge of content you download to your Kindle from other sites.

Holly

Edit - Harry beat me to it!
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Punishment View Post
...Whisper account ...
Amazon calls the method of connecting to their servers via both 3G and Wi-Fi "WhisperNet". It usually refers to the delivery of content purchased from Amazon.

From Amazon: "Whispernet utilizes Amazon's optimized technology plus a high-speed data network to enable you to wirelessly search, discover, and download content on the go. Your books and periodicals are delivered via Whispernet in less than 60 seconds."

There is no "Whisper" account, just your regular Amazon account through which you're also able to manage your Kindle.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
When you buy a book or a subscription you choose which device it goes to. I have four accounts, a K1, my DXG, my Mom's DXG, and Kindle4PC. The items you select for a specific account will go to that device when you turn on whispernet.

If you do not want to use Whispernet, you can choose to sideload content. You go to your "Manage my Kindle" and choose to download a book to your computer. Then you drag the book from your computer to your Kindle.

While you are in your Kindle Account, you can choose to send a book to any device by selecting the book in your archive and choosing the device you want it to go to using a drop down menu.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2010, 05:10 PM   #6
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks all....

Im still on the fence between the Kindle and the Sony650..I thought I could use Amazon as a backup for other than Amazon purchases..But can always backup to my Mac...I do like the SD on the Sony and that uses epub...But Kindle is half the price and has all the other features I have been looking for....

May I ask one more...??

If purchasing or downloading an epub format, then use Calibre to change the format and "upload" to the kindle, does the file loose anything in translation..?? I mean like in margins of fonts ect. ect from one file version to another...??

Thanks Again...
Old 10-20-2010, 09:55 PM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From what I have read the format transformation works really well the vast majority of the time. I have not done it myself but when I have seen this question asked other times the response has almost always been that the documents look the same.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:09 PM   #8
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Punishment View Post
I thought I could use Amazon as a backup for other than Amazon purchases.
Opening a massive can of worms by doing that. Privacy and confidentiality issues along with the fact that uploading up to ~3GB of data (first time anyway) to their servers is going to be horrible over 3G. What happens if you delete a personal document off the Kindle anyway? Should they delete it from their archive or should it be there until you delete it? If it stays there forever then people would start using their Kindle as a backup device and not a eBook reader.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:40 AM   #9
cuteseal
Enthusiast
cuteseal doesn't littercuteseal doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
The "backup" feature is really nice - especially if you want access to your books on another device or if you get a replacement kindle.

For my non-Kindle books and documents, I just put them in Calibre and I can send them to the Kindle from there.
cuteseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:47 AM   #10
Cpl Punishment
Guru

Thanks Prof..inching closer to a kindle !! ...Tiersten, I didnt think of that, I was thinking more or less a few books, but I can see it quickly getting out of hand...Thanks..
Cuteseal, are you happy with your Kindle decision...??

Again, Thanks...Im soo glad I found this site !!
Old 10-21-2010, 09:10 AM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

I am sure that there are folks who use the Kindle as a back up device already. I have no idea why you would do so, a portable hard drive is less expensive and holds a ton more information then a Kindle does.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #12
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
@Cpl Punishment - love your puppy avatar. What a cutie!

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #13
Cpl Punishment
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
@Cpl Punishment - love your puppy avatar. What a cutie!

Holly

Gets the chicks !!!!