Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-13-2018, 05:52 AM   #16
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Now if the iBooks revamp had also brought changes to the reading engine.
Still no customization
And I‘d still like to see a dedicated reading device.

Also beware: the library of the new app is incompatible with the old version, so if any of your devices cannot upgrade (e.g. every Mac in the first week), you best hold off for a while.
Running the beta briefly I also noticed that it breaks annotation sync between old and new versions. So, yah, iCloud quality I guess...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:57 PM   #17
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Now if the iBooks revamp had also brought changes to the reading engine.
Still no customization
And I‘d still like to see a dedicated reading device.

Also beware: the library of the new app is incompatible with the old version, so if any of your devices cannot upgrade (e.g. every Mac in the first week), you best hold off for a while.
Running the beta briefly I also noticed that it breaks annotation sync between old and new versions. So, yah, iCloud quality I guess...
Hum, I ran the beta as well and had no issues with reading books and syncing on both the beta and the regular versions.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:48 AM   #18
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Hum, I ran the beta as well and had no issues with reading books and syncing on both the beta and the regular versions.
Syncing books or annotations?
Old 09-14-2018, 05:33 AM   #19
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Syncing books or annotations?
books, I don't do annotations.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:01 AM   #20
johnnyb
Cloud Reader

Quote:
books, I don't do annotations.
Great!
(but why did you comment in reply to my post when you clearly had no idea because you “don’t do annotations”?)
Old 09-14-2018, 09:16 AM   #21
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Because you said "Also beware: the library of the new app is incompatible with the old version, so if any of your devices cannot upgrade (e.g. every Mac in the first week), you best hold off for a while." which wasn't what I experienced. It would be more accurate to say that annotations are incompatible with the old version rather than say that the library is incompatible.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:37 AM   #22
johnnyb
Cloud Reader

Quote:
Because you said "Also beware: the library of the new app is incompatible with the old version, so if any of your devices cannot upgrade (e.g. every Mac in the first week), you best hold off for a while." which wasn't what I experienced. It would be more accurate to say that annotations are incompatible with the old version rather than say that the library is incompatible.
The “library is incompatible” warning is not mine but Apple’s when you start the new app for the first time. It applies to changes to collections.

The “annotation do not sync” warning was my personal observation and immediately remedied after reverting back to iOS 11 (on an iPad Pro).
Old 09-14-2018, 12:53 PM   #23
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The “library is incompatible” warning is not mine but Apple’s when you start the new app for the first time. It applies to changes to collections.

The “annotation do not sync” warning was my personal observation and immediately remedied after reverting back to iOS 11 (on an iPad Pro).
All I can say is that I've been running the beta on my iPad mini for the last two months with no issues, while using the non beta version on my iPad pro, iPhone and Mac. All point to the same library, I use collections extensively and have had no issues. Your mileage may vary.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:06 PM   #24
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

After updating my iPhone and iPad Pro to iOS 12, I have an answer of sorts. When I first opened Books after updating, I got the notice that collections would only sync with devices running iOS 12 or MacOs 14, which implies that when I update my iMac next Monday (i.e. when the MacOS update is released), I should be able to organize my collections on my mac and have that show up on my various iDevices. Since audible books don't get copied to iCloud, I will still need to sync those to my device via iTunes, but it's a big step forward if everything works. We will see on Monday.