Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-03-2024, 11:19 AM   #1
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Version 5.16.8 – April 2024

Version 5.16.8 – April 2024

Here's what's new:

Sleep Timer: Set how long your Kindle waits before going to the lock screen from Settings > Device Options.

Library Search Filter: Search results can now be filtered by subscription type and reading format.

Performance improvements, bug fixes, and other general enhancements.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 01:35 PM   #2
.tycho
.tycho began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (10th gen.)
The Sleep Timer setting is much appreciated.
.tycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2024, 04:28 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Yes that one surprised me. Scribe owners have been asking for this forever (e.g. to keep it from turning off when taking live notes, or for sheet music/song chord charts etc.). Thought it would never happen!

Once again I would advise doing Restart before copying the update file over. For some reason it tends to fail otherwise (as it just did for me, having forgotten my own advice!)

It's not clear what Library Search Filter feature is supposed to be, much less what might have changed. The Library Filters options look exactly the same as before.

'subscription type' presumably is 'Your programs' section of Filters?

'reading format' presumably is 'Type' section of Filters?

But again, nothing has changed with Library Filters, or Library Search function.

Last edited by tomsem; 04-03-2024 at 04:59 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 09:39 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Unfortunately unlike a Kobo where the sleep options include Never, the Kindle version does not include 45 minutes or Never. I did appreciate being able to set 5 minutes as the sleep timer.

Once again I would love to know why my flipping Paperwhite 10th gen. loves updating as soon as the new firmware is released.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 02:07 AM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Unfortunately unlike a Kobo where the sleep options include Never, the Kindle version does not include 45 minutes or Never. I did appreciate being able to set 5 minutes as the sleep timer.

Once again I would love to know why my flipping Paperwhite 10th gen. loves updating as soon as the new firmware is released.
With Never, is it smart enough to shut down before the battery drains to zero?

I have yet to have update without me initiating it, except with a new Kindle.

But I don't really have enough patience. If I don't get it after a week or two, I do manual update.
Advert
Old 04-04-2024, 03:54 AM   #6
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
This is the first updated that I have chosen not to immediately download and install because I got burned by the last one (5.16.7) starting to remove features that I use:
Quote:
Pinyin deprecation, affects reader and Aa menu.
Waiting for jhowell's always-useful code analysis before deciding what to do this time.
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 04:00 AM   #7
escaner
escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.escaner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

My PW 11th loves updating when the battery is approaching 20% or below. I think it is so when the battery starts going bad it will just run out during the update and brick the device. They really should not perform updates with battery below 40 - 50%.

We will see if the sleep function works better than the GUI manual update, which systematically says that my Kindle is on the latest software
escaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 04:21 AM   #8
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
This is a nitpick, but wouldn't it be more intuitive to put the new sleep timer under Display and Brightness? Most, if not all, devices these days put the screen time out option there.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 07:52 AM   #9
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinsky View Post
Waiting for jhowell's always-useful code analysis before deciding what to do this time.
I don't see anything else obvious in this update.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 09:54 AM   #10
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It's not clear what Library Search Filter feature is supposed to be, much less what might have changed. The Library Filters options look exactly the same as before.
Exactly! The library function has always bugged me... I was hoping for an improvement.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 11:56 AM   #11
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
With Never, is it smart enough to shut down before the battery drains to zero?
I wonder why there isn't a setting (user adjustable or not) for turning off the light.

If the light turned off after 30 minutes of inactivity, the screen could then sit that way for days (or more) until the battery ran down. It would be very similar to what "sleep" does now.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 12:19 PM   #12
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Light off and sleep are not the same, and an idle kindle with sleep disabled will deplete the battery significantly sooner than if sleep is enabled.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=138778

Battery usage by the light varies from a small fraction of idle power to more than everything else combined, depending on brightness setting.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=293683
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 03:20 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by escaner View Post
My PW 11th loves updating when the battery is approaching 20% or below. I think it is so when the battery starts going bad it will just run out during the update and brick the device. They really should not perform updates with battery below 40 - 50%.

We will see if the sleep function works better than the GUI manual update, which systematically says that my Kindle is on the latest software
Odd. I think I've sometimes had to charge a Kindle before it would update manually.
Old 04-05-2024, 12:28 PM   #14
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Yes that one surprised me. Scribe owners have been asking for this forever (e.g. to keep it from turning off when taking live notes, or for sheet music/song chord charts etc.). Thought it would never happen!
Kindle users have wanted to modify time until sleep for years and years before the Scribe existed. (And kobo seems to have managed to do it long ago.)
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 12:44 PM   #15
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
For me I haven't cared about sleep time, I just close the cover on my kindle and it goes to sleep. And I wouldn't dream of have a kindle, tablet or phone without a protective case.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote