Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
Angry Long load time

I have a 1000 page book that I purchased from KOBO books. When I turn on my KOBO I get to the I'M READING screen in 30 seconds, I then click on my book and it takes 2 1/2 MINUTES to load!! Has anyone else experienced this? Up until now all the books I have read have been under 400 pages, so I'm assuming it is the length of the book that is causing this long load time.

Sarah
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
Generally, chapters are divided into individual html files in the ePub package. The reader loads in one file at at time, which is why it sometimes takes a few seconds to load in a new chapter. If they've set it up as one, giant, 1000 page html file, then in could take a couple of minutes to load in when you open the book.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I had the same problem reading Darwin's "On the Origin of Species" - it was one long long chapter of over 1000 pages.
Took forever to load.
Shorter more managable chapters make life a lot easier.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:24 PM   #4
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

According to the TOC, there are 105 "chapters" (some being the title page, dedication etc) so on average that would make each chapter about 10 pages, which shouldn't take too long to load. I have emailed KOBO support about this as well, so we will see what they say. Given that it is DRM'd I can't really get into the file itself to see what is going on ;(
Old 09-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
Rothbardian
Rothbardian began at the beginning.

Presumably the ToC is generated from the NCX file; it has nothing to do with whether all the chapters are in one big file or there's a file per chapter inside the container.
Rothbardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
Mostly Math
Groupie

This is what I got back from KOBO (which I guess is saying I am SOL):

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for contacting Kobo with your question. Unfortunately, you are correct that the size of the book is the reason it takes so long for it to load on your Kobo. We do realize it can be tedious to wait that long, however, we are providing the file the way it was sent to us by the publisher. The only fixes to this issue would be for the publisher to provide us the book in sections. The other solutions would be hardware wise and that would increase the cost.

Hope this answers your question and we are happy to hear you love your Kobo.

Sincerely,
The Kobo Team
Old 09-06-2010, 07:36 PM   #7
sophiek
sophiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sophiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sophiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sophiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I had this problem with 'The Forgotten Garden'- not sure if it was a chapter length issue but it took up to 5 minuted to load. As a result, I really hated to put it down because I didn't want the Kobo to go to 'sleep'. That is the only title that has caused me any problems so far.
sophiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:08 PM   #8
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothbardian View Post
Presumably the ToC is generated from the NCX file; it has nothing to do with whether all the chapters are in one big file or there's a file per chapter inside the container.
Exactly. The standard practice is to divide the book into files by chapter, but there's no requirement in the ePub format to do that.

I can see how, coupled with the automatic shutdown in V1.4, that is a real problem. You could crack the DRM and then split the book into files using Sigil.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #9
Mostly Math
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post
... You could crack the DRM and then split the book into files using Sigil.
I could if I could figure out how to crack the DRM, but I am somewhat computer illiterate.

I asked the KOBO rep if they will pass this information onto the publisher, my guess is their response will be no. One day, maybe just maybe, publishers will decide that properly formatted ebooks are worth their time, but I'm not holding my breath.

S