Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-01-2009, 09:23 AM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Kindle 1 Click versus Password payment

I notice the Amazon Kindle requires payment using the 1 Click method to pay for books. Can that be changed to require a password to purchase books?
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:27 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
is that new? I always thought that was an option
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Password option

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
is that new? I always thought that was an option
Where is that option?
Old 12-01-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I notice the Amazon Kindle requires payment using the 1 Click method to pay for books. Can that be changed to require a password to purchase books?
Not that I know of. Why would you want or need that? You might want to check this Wiki entry:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...es_from_Amazon

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
I don't know when it changed, but it used to be a 1 click option vs. put into your cart for later option. is the problem several different charges going through at different times?
Advert
Old 12-01-2009, 02:25 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I don't know when it changed, but it used to be a 1 click option vs. put into your cart for later option. is the problem several different charges going through at different times?
Specifically the kindle store, there has never been a shopping cart option.

BOb
Old 12-01-2009, 03:30 PM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

I guess I never really noticed, because with tangible items you could always change things at checkout so I early on started doing the 1click orders
Old 12-01-2009, 03:36 PM   #8
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
I would really appreciate this as an option.

AND

Password protect the Kindle (optional) or at least the network access.

AND

A way to permanently delete books out of the archive, I've got a few stinkers I'd like to never see again.

For such a leading edge outfit Amazon sure seems to be lacking in some features.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:37 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
The "password" issue has been here since the K first came out. I emailed Amazon on this, and here is their reply.

Hello,

Thanks for writing to us with concern regarding unauthorized Kindle purchases.

Whenever you identified your Kindle as lost or stolen, I request you to de-register your Kindle from your account immediately.

Deregistering also ensures your Archived Items are no longer available from that Kindle and additional purchases from that Kindle won't be charged to your Amazon.com account.

If unauthorized purchases happened before you de-registering the Kindle, I request you to contact us, so that we can refund for those purchases.

I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again.

Please let us know if this e-mail resolved your quest

So......as you can see, there is no need for a password. Any unauthorized use by a stolen Kindle will be refunded. That is the only thing they can buy from your Kindle........books.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #10
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I wish they would provide a lock and locate service so any stolen kindle is useless to the thief and any connection to Amazon shows it's location. I suppose it's kind of big brother for Amazon to provide such data though!

Also I suppose it's Amazon's best interests to not locate stolen Kindles, they would prefer people simply buy a replacement.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #11
sirmaru
Wizard

Sony has a different approach

Sony requests password entry to confirm every book purchase, by the way.

Thus, it is possible for Amazon to change their present 1 click requirement.

Actually, I only use the recent "Kindle for PC" program to read Amazon books on my PC. The mandatory 1 Click method applies there as well.

Now, when I want to buy a book, I check the Sony versus Amazon price and buy from whomever has the lower price. I read both sources of books on my PC. I do own a Sony PRS 505 for very occasional use when away from home. If most of my books end up as Amazon purchases, I'll buy a Kindle 2 as well for those occasional uses.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:32 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Thus, it is possible for Amazon to change their present 1 click requirement.
No one said it wasn't possible. I think most of us feel that it is unnecessary.

I hope if Amazon does add this they make it optional, because I for one would opt out.

BOb