Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-10-2009, 10:01 PM   #1
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
help: Reading order of Halo series

Well, as a bit of detour - I'm a 40 something mom of a bunch - found out from a 20 something that Halo, Fall of Reach that he saw me reading is actually a video game series - felt weird to have a connection since we could both talk about the characters :-)

well, anyway, it was a fun read - but I can't figure out what is next in the series. So, what order do you read them in? And, are the others worth it? Didn't expect the cliff hanger ending.
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Here is a site that lists Nylund's contributions.......fall of reach is included.

If you know the author or name of book you want, its a great resource.

Hope it helps.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 10:44 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I found this on the net re: the reading order of the Halo books.

The order of the current novels is

1. Contact Harvest
2. The Cole Protocol
3. The Fall of Reach
4. The Flood
5. First Strike
6. Ghosts of Onyx

I'm guessing that there will be another novel to bring them up to 7!!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:45 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrunk View Post
Well, as a bit of detour - I'm a 40 something mom of a bunch - found out from a 20 something that Halo, Fall of Reach that he saw me reading is actually a video game series - felt weird to have a connection since we could both talk about the characters :-)

well, anyway, it was a fun read - but I can't figure out what is next in the series. So, what order do you read them in? And, are the others worth it? Didn't expect the cliff hanger ending.

Hi msgrunk, great avatar,

I haven't read them yet but I bought the series since they've gotten great reviews.

You read the prequel to the series and from the reviews it's one of the better stories. The rest of the sequal goes as follows

Halo, Books 1-3 (The Flood; First Strike; The Fall of Reach)
Here is the Amazon link http://www.amazon.com/Books-Flood-Fi...4323553&sr=8-1

Also there is a free Halo book written by Tom Maddox it's under the CC licience.
You can find it at Feedbook (link)

I've actually prepared the book to upload here on MR but the author never responded to my email.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:45 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
wow jswolf you're quick
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 05:14 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Funny, I'm a big fan of the games but I haven't read these books yet. Sigh, add them to the ever-growing pile of to-reads.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

1. Contact Harvest
2. The Cole Protocol
3. The Fall of Reach
4. The Flood
5. First Strike
6. Ghosts of Onyx

Wolfy, I found this on another site:

The Halo universe has five times been adapted into novel form, with two more in the works.
1. Halo: The Fall of Reach—a prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, written by Eric Nylund and published during October 2001.
2. Halo: The Flood, served as an adaptation of Halo: Combat Evolved written by William C. Dietz.
3. Halo: First Strike, a sequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, or, more accurately, a prequel to Halo 2 by Eric Nylund.
4. Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, written again by Eric Nylund was published on October 31, 2006.
5. Halo: Contact Harvest by Joseph Staten (revolves around the events during 2525, the initial contact with the Covenant, is told from the perspective of young Sergeant Avery Johnson, and is expected to be available in the fall of 2007).

Another book to be published by TOR, may be about "Grey Team," who were sent on a mission far outside the confines of UNSC space, and have been missing for over a year as of 2552, which was told in Ghost Of Onyx. Eric Nylund has admitted he is interested in telling their story.

Where did you get that list?
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:22 PM   #8
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Well, now I'm totally confused - and - now I just finished Hammered - and it's a cliffhanger /trilogy too - drats. In regards to the first book I read, Fall of Reach, I think I may have liked it more simply for the character development - there were all the details of how he was picked and developed into a Spartan. I don't know how much the rest of the books end up being just battle focused. So, I think I'll try the free one from Feedbook - thanks for link =X=

Last edited by mgrunk; 02-12-2009 at 09:35 PM.
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:39 PM   #9
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Halo series

This is the sequence that I get:

1. The Fall of Reach
2. The Flood
3. First Strike
4. Ghosts of Onyx
5. Contract Harvest
6. The Cole Protocol

Found at --> this location.

Great site for finding all books in a series, or all books in a series by an author.

Hope this helps. WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:17 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I got my Halo list from http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums...ic_id=25370339. Scroll to the bottom of the page.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:23 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Another answer is ....

Quote:
Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
Here's the Book order:
Halo: Contact Harvest
Halo: The fall of Reach
Halo: The Flood
Halo: First Strike
Halo: Ghosts of Onyx

Game Order:
Halo 1 - 3

Chronological Order:

Halo: Contact Harvest
Halo: The fall of Reach
Halo 1/Halo: The Flood (the book takes place during the first game)
Halo: First Strike
Halo 2
Halo 3/Halo: Ghosts of Onyx (some parts of the book take place during halo 3)
This fits in with the list I posted other then it does not have The Cole Protocol listed.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:00 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

1. Contact Harvest
2. The Cole Protocol
3. The Fall of Reach
4. The Flood
5. First Strike
6. Ghosts of Onyx

What would be the significance of there being seven?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:38 PM   #13
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
here is what library thing has to say about it

http://www.librarything.com/series/Halo

Halo: The Fall of Reach by Eric Nylund Book 1
The Flood (Halo) by William C. Dietz Book 2
Halo: First Strike by Eric S. Nylund Book 3
Halo: Ghosts of Onyx by Eric Nylund Book 4
Halo: Contact Harvest by Joseph Staten Book 5
Halo: The Cole Protocol by Tobias S. Buckell Book 6
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:47 PM   #14
gaudentius
gaudentius began at the beginning.

Bungie (game creator) has a fascination with the number 7. I think it all started with the prequels to Halo, the Marathon series.

There is a BUNCH of other trivia related to Halo that the series pretty much has it's own encyclopedia of what's what on the internet. Days of info . . .

GD
gaudentius is offline   Reply With Quote