Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 11:48 PM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
What the heck did you read in 2010?

As far as I can tell, no one has started a "What did you read last year" thread, and all searches I made for one failed. If such a thread already exists, I'll close this one and redirect all traffic to it, but in the meantime:

What the heck did you read in 2010?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:54 PM   #2
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Some Stephen King, Anne Rice (seem to hit those two every year at least once), a lot of short fiction on various websites, a few romances (okay, maybe more than a few), and some non-fiction (mostly cop-related or science).

And some marketing stuff, but that was for work and turned out to be worthless.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 11:58 PM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Some Stephen King, Anne Rice (seem to hit those two every year at least once), a lot of short fiction on various websites, a few romances (okay, maybe more than a few), and some non-fiction (mostly cop-related or science).

And some marketing stuff, but that was for work and turned out to be worthless.
What do you mean by "cop-related"? Are you in law enforcement? What are some of the science titles, and are any related to law enforcement?
Old 01-04-2011, 12:00 AM   #4
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I don't quite understand the question?

I read almost 200 books. I don't think putting the list as a post would be helpful - or fit!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
In a word, Chesterton.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 12:13 AM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
In a word, Chesterton.
He's always entertaining.

Here's the list of books (not including short stories, magazines, etc.) I read in 2010:

Books I Read in 2010:
1. The Large, the Small and the Human Mind by Roger Penrose, Malcolm Longair, Abner Shimony, Nancy Cartwright, Stephen Hawking
2. The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett
3. The Machine Stops (Novella) by (E)dward (M)organ Forster
4. DEAD(ish) by Naomi Kramer (nomesque)
5. Boomerang by Alan Hutchenson (Plumboz)
6. The Varieties of Scientific Experience by Carl Sagan, ed. by Ann Druyan
7. Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
8. Was Superman a Spy? by Brian Cronin
9. Maurice by E.M. Forster
10. Dragged into Darkness by Simon Wood
11. Mere Anarchy by Woody Allen
12. The Essays or Councils, Civil and Moral by Francis Bacon
13. Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll
14. American on Purpose by Craig Ferguson
15. The Days of Babylon by Timothy L. Nix (husband of Dixiegal/Bambi)
16. The Egg and I by Betty MacDonald
17. Quirkology by Richard Wiseman
18. Love Among the Chickens by P.G. Wodehouse
19. Ringworld by Larry Niven (Audiobook)
20. Mr. Grieves, Vol. 1 by Cooper Johnson, Ill. by Jhomar Soriano (Graphic Novel)
21. Cockroach Suckers by David Niall Wilson
22. A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (Audiobook)
23. MetaGame by Sam Landstrom
24. Ghostly Tales, Vol. 1 by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu
25. And Another Thing... by Eoin Colfer
26. Crude Behavior: A fundamentalist tale told by kidd millennium by Ron Callari, Ill. by Jon A. Donohoe (Graphic Novel)
27. The Mysterious island by Jules Verne
28. The Origin of Species, 6th Ed. by Charles Darwin
29. Life...with no breaks by Nick Spalding
30. Lamb by Christopher Moore
31. Steve Allen’s Private Joke File by Steve Allen
32. Native Guard: Poems by Natasha Trethewey by Natasha Trethewey
33. On Benefits by Lucius Annaeus Seneca
34. Groucho and Me by Julius Henry "Groucho" Marx
35. Was it Heaven or Hell by Mark Twain
36. Over the Cliff: How Obama's Election Drove the American Right Insane by John Amato and David Neiwert
37. The Sheepfarmer's Daughter: Book I of The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon
38. The Portable Nietzsche translated and edited by Walter Kaufmann (a re-read)
39. Bartlett's Familiar Quotations by John Bartlett, unknown early edition falsely advertised as the 17th Edition on the Amazon Kindle page (see Product Details).
40. Asrar-I-Khudi (The Secrets of Self) by Dr. Muhammad Iqbal
41. White Seed: The Untold Story of the Lost Colony of Roanoke by Paul Clayton
42. Risen: The Short Stories by Jan Strnad
43. High Noon by poohbear_nc
44. 59 Seconds: Think a Little, Change a Lot by Richard Wiseman
45. Frenzy: 60 Stories of Sudden Sex by Alison Tyler
46. Boston Blackie by Jack Boyle
47. It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis
48. Killing Floor (Jack Reacher #1) by Lee Child
49. Palimpsest (novella) by Charles Stross
50. The Transcendental Temptation: A Critique of Religion and the Paranormal by Paul Kurtz
51. The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri, trans. by The Rev. H.F. Cary, M.A. (The Harvard Classics edition)
52. Third World America: How Our Politicians are Abandoning the Middle Class and Betraying the American Dream by Arianna Huffington
53. Risen by Jan Strnad
54. Fanny Hill by John Cleland (in honor of Banned Books Week)
55. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie
56. Beyond Belief: The Secret Gospel of Thomas by Elaine Pagels
57. The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri, trans. by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
58. The Son of Man by C.W. Johnson (audiobook)
59. 33 A.D. by David McAfee

And last, but not least:

60. Winnie-the-Pooh by A. A. Milne

(The Divine Comedy is listed twice because I read two translations of it in 2010, and have yet a third translation on my 2011 reading list.)
Old 01-04-2011, 12:15 AM   #7
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
What do you mean by "cop-related"? Are you in law enforcement? What are some of the science titles, and are any related to law enforcement?
Actually, one science title was about forensic techniques. It was borrowed and I don't remember the title. The cop-related titles were mostly books written or edited by Sgt. Randy Sutton containing stories about life as a police officer. There was another one by a female officer but I can't recall her name or the title.

I'm not in law enforcement. Closest I've ever been to that was coordinating event security, so I have gotten the opportunity to tell cops what to do once or twice. In this case, though, I was doing research for a screenplay that I was called on to help with, but the research was no hardship because I loved reading those books. It's a field I'm very interested in. I miss doing the security stuff. Had my life gone differently, I might have become a police officer, but it didn't work out that way.

The other science titles were primarily about evolutionary science. I was going to finally read all the way through Origins this year but I decided to put it off till 2012. It's not that I don't want to, it's more about the fact that my Kindle is so new and I want explore that new world of books.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:16 AM   #8
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Um....wow, that's quite a list....I don't really remember what I read this year completely anyway.

On my Nook I've got about 39 book/short stories that I've read, but I know I've read more than that.

The one that impacted me the most was "Remember Why You Play: Faith, Football, and a Season to Remember" I'm as far from religious as you can get, but this book was deeper than that for sure.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:18 AM   #9
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post

I read almost 200 books. I don't think putting the list as a post would be helpful - or fit!
Could you break it up by quarter? We don't mind. We're nosy. I would have posted a list but I didn't keep a list. I suck at remembering titles and all the books are in the living room whereas I'm warm in bed. So I'm both nosy and lazy.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:19 AM   #10
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post

I was wondering if there were any cross-overs between the non-fiction "cop-related" material and the science books you read. For instance, a book on forensics or DNA evidence could fit both categories.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:21 AM   #11
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
I'm as far from religious as you can get, but this book was deeper than that for sure.
I had a similar book last year - I did not know the author was a (self-identified) evangelist, but I highly recommend it anyway: Life Without Limits: Inspiration for a Ridiculously Good Life.

I listened to the audio, which was probably the way to go.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:25 AM   #12
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Part 1

The list is alphabetical by author, here's A - J:

The Secret Miracle Alarcon, Daniel (ed.)
I See Rude People Alkon, Amy
The Promise Alter, Jonathan
Writing Jane Austen Aston, Elizabeth
The Trail to Titicaca Atlee, Rupert
Emma Austen, Jane
Lady Susan Austen, Jane
American Fuji Backer, Sara
Injury Time Bainbridge, Beryl
Something Happened Yesterday Bainbridge, Beryl
The Battle for America: 2008 Balz, Dan
Rascal Rain Baranay, Inez
Not Quite Paradise Barker, Adele
Murder is Binding Barrett, Lorna
Murder on the Mind Bartlett, L. L.
Dead in Red Bartlett, L. L.
Where Underpants Come From Bennett, Joe
Queen Lucia Benson, E. F.
Lucia in London Benson, E. F.
Herding Donkeys Berman, Ari
With the Kama Sutra Under My Arm Bernard, Trisha
Aloha, Candy Hearts Bidulka, Anthony
Who the Hell is Pansy O'Hara? Bond, Jenny
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie Bradley, Alan
Love in a Time of Homeschooling Brodie, Laura
Strangers Brookner, Anita
Conversations with American Writers Brown, Dale
Tone Deaf in Bangkok Brown, Janet
Page Fright Bruce, Harry
Down Under Bryson, Bill
Neither Here nor There Bryson, Bill
Give It Up! Carlomagno, Mary
40 More Years Carville, James
Raining Cat Sitters and Dogs Clement, Blaize
I Told You So Clinton, Kate
Attention All Shipping Connelly, Charlie
Double Take Connolly, Kevin
The Loop Coomer, Joe
A Thousand Miles from Nowhere Coster, Graham
Touch the Happy Isles Crewe, Quentin
How Did You Get This Number Crosley, Sloane
Loco Motive Daheim, Mary
When Things Get Dark Davis, Matthew
Ant Egg Soup de Bie, Natacha
The Great Typo Hunt Deck, Jeff
Nothing to Envy Demick, Barbara
Through the Language Glass Deutscher, Guy
Saddled at Sea Dew, Josie
Último Bus a Woodstock Dexter, Colin
My Friend the Fanatic Dhume, Sadanand
Four Seasons in Rome Doerr, Anthony
Cafe Europa Drakulić, Slavenka
Bayshore Summer Dunne, Pete
The English Is Coming! Dunton-Downer, Leslie
Murder in a Cathedral Edwards, Ruth Dudley
Dawdling by the Danube Enfield, Edward
A Cape Cod Journal Fisk, Erma
Beyond the Blue Horizon Frater, Alexander
How to Cook a Dragon Furiya, Linda
The People on Privilege Hill Gardam, Jane
The Gospel of Food Glassner, Barry
Time's Magpie Goldberg, Myla
The Moon, Come to Earth Graham, Philip
Last Exit in New Jersey Grundler, C. E.
From the Mull to the Cape Guise, Richard
If the Church Were Christian Gulley, Phillip
Grave Surprise Harris, Charlaine
Game Change Heilemann, John
Turn Left at the Trojan Horse Herzog, Brad
A Bend in the Yellow River Hill, Justin
Off the Road Hitt, Jack
Exit into History Hoffman, Eva
A Voyage Long and Strange Horwitz, Tony
Blue Latitudes Horwitz, Tony
Moods of Future Joys Humphreys, Alastair
The Black Heart Hyland, Paul
Files from the Edge Imbrogno, Philip
A Single Man Isherwood, Christopher
Pop Goes the Weasel Jack, Albert
Shaking the Family Tree Jackson, Buzzy
The Spoils of Poynton James, Henry
The Private Patient James, P. D.
Holy Ghosts Jansen, Gary
Dismantling the Empire Johnson, Chalmers
Enchanted Evening Barbie … Johnson, Rheta
Old 01-04-2011, 12:29 AM   #13
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
... I'm not in law enforcement. Closest I've ever been to that was coordinating event security, so I have gotten the opportunity to tell cops what to do once or twice. In this case, though, I was doing research for a screenplay that I was called on to help with, but the research was no hardship because I loved reading those books. ...
There have been a couple of times when I've told cops what to do, but it never turned out well.

Quote:
The other science titles were primarily about evolutionary science. I was going to finally read all the way through Origins this year but I decided to put it off till 2012. It's not that I don't want to, it's more about the fact that my Kindle is so new and I want explore that new world of books.
Darwin's Origin of Species or another Origins? I found Darwin's book to be dry-going, but some passages absolutely sparkled.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:32 AM   #14
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Part 3

Part 2 (not 3)

Here's K - R (apologies about the formatting):

The Disappearing Spoon Kean, Sam
Subwayland Kennedy, Randy
From Paella to Porridge Kerr, Peter
The Ghost and the Haunted Mansion Kimberly, Alice
The Cutting Room Klavan, Laurence
Journey to the End of Islam Knight, Michael Muhammad
Blue-Eyed Devil Knight, Michael Muhammad
Life in Year One Korb, Scott
At Sea in the City Kornblum, William
Never a City So Real Kotlowitz, Alex
The Romance of Elsewhere Krafchick, Marcelline
My Fair Lazy Lancaster, Jen
The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks Lanyon, Josh
Somebody Killed His Editor Lanyon, Josh
It Could Be Worse … Leve, Ariel
Dirt Lewis, Mindy (ed.)
Mrs. Woolf and the Servants Light, Alison
A Yank Back to England Lipman, Denis
Mr. Dalloway Lippincott, Robin
Permanently Blue Loewe, Dylan
Curse of the Spellmans Lutz, Lisa
Christianity Maccullough, Diarmaid
Eat My Globe Majumdar, Simon
The Bridge Mak, Geert
Dead Men Do Tell Tales Maples, William
Sand Sharks Maron, Margaret
The Book of Murder Martinez, Guillermo
Islands Apart McAlpine, Ken
Insignificant Others McCauley, Stephen
Waiting on a Train McCommons, James
Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue McWhorter, John
Dorothy Parker Meade, Marion
The Tudors Meyer, G. K.
Heaven Miller, Lisa
The Pursuit of Love Mitford, Nancy
Love in a Cold Climate Mitford, Nancy
A Talent to Annoy Mitford, Nancy
How Not to Write a Novel Mittlemark, Howard
Vroom by the Sea Moore, Peter
French Revolutions Moore, Tim
Polite Lies Mori, Kyoko
Yarn Mori, Kyoko
Thanks, but This Isn't for Us Morrell, Jessica
Wide Awake Morrisroe, Patricia
The Time Traveler's Guide … Mortimer, Ian
Thoughts Are Things Mulford, Prentice
After Dark Murakami, Haruki
A Year at the Movies Murphy, Kevin
Che Guevara … Mustoe, Anne
Adrift in China Myers, Simon
Dewey Myron, Vicki
Coming Home to Eat Nabhan, Gary Paul
On the Shores of the Mediterranean Newby, Eric
An Idiot Girl's Christmas Notaro, Laurie
Living Oprah Okrant, Robyn
The Wishing Year Oxenhandler, Noelle
The Year of Eating Dangerously Parker Bowles, Tom
The Masked Rider Peart, Neil
Sprout Peck, Dale
101 Places Not to See Before You Die Price, Catherine
Other People's Dirt Rafkin, Louise
Half Empty Rakoff, David
Zen and Now Richardson, Mark
The Inland Sea Richie, Donald
Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict Rigler, Laurie
The Last Pink Bits Ritchie, Harry
Belle Weather Rivenbark, Celia
You Can't Drink All Day … Rivenbark, Celia
Remains of the Dead Roberts, Wendy
Devil May Ride Roberts, Wendy
French Toast Rochefort, Harriet
The Israelis Rosenthal, Donna
Miss Julia Delivers the Goods Ross, Ann B.
Mishima's Sword Ross, Christopher
I Shudder Rudnick, Paul
Old 01-04-2011, 12:34 AM   #15
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Part 3

And finally , S - Z ...

Espana en los diarios de mi vejez Sabato, Ernesto
The Mind's Eye Sacks, Oliver
Chowringhee Sankar
Tea Time for the Traditionally Built Smith, Alexander McCall
The Double Comfort Safari Club Smith, Alexander McCall
The Sunday Philosophy Club Smith, Alexander McCall
Changing My Mind Smith, Zadie
Writing Away Spalding, Lavinia
Aiding and Abetting Spark, Muriel