Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
RoverGal
RoverGal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Nook books on a Kindle?

I got a B&N gift card as a Christmas gift - so my question is to whether or not I can "fiddle" with a purchased nook book and read it on my Kindle?

I know you can't tell me the specifics, but if someone could at least let me know if it's possible, I'd appreciate it. I don't know anything about Nook formats vs. others. But, I do know how to use an epub from my library on my K3 today.
TIA!
RoverGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Yes. Google is your friend. I think I have read something about apprentice alf.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
RoverGal
RoverGal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thought of another question - how are Nook books delivered if one does not have a Nook?
RoverGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverGal View Post
Thought of another question - how are Nook books delivered if one does not have a Nook?
You go to B&N website, register yourself, buy the ebook and then you will have a link/option to download the epub file locally.

You can also install the Nook for PC software and read your book directly from your PC is that what you want.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #5
sbtx99
Zealot
sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi; Red PRS-650; iPod Touch; Android phone
Quote:
You can use the Nook for PC app... I don't own a Nook but have downloaded a couple free books into their PC app.
sbtx99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
sbtx99
Zealot
sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi; Red PRS-650; iPod Touch; Android phone
Quote:
I don't know anything about Nook formats vs. others. But, I do know how to use an epub from my library on my K3 today.
TIA!
The Nook format is epub, B&N just uses a different DRM scheme than the library epubs.
sbtx99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #7
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I used to have the nook for PC app installed on my computer but I don't even do that anymore. As somebody up there said, you just buy the book and put it in your library, then when you click on download it just saves a file to your hard drive.

The Calibre plug-in for Barnes and Noble will remove the DRM. If you Google "Apprentice Alf Blog" and look at the entry for tools v2.3 you will find it. Then it is just a simple matter of converting from ePub to Mobi.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #8
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I have tried using the calibre plugin for B&N but I still get the error - cannot convert, etc....

I am not sure if it's my NAME (one character) or CC info. But clearly something does not compute.

Also, I've got the nook pc reader - so I seem to have two copies - one I directly downloaded and one from the nook-app storage in MyDocs (or wherever it stored it) - neither copy will decrypt.

B&N would allow me to change my name but that might affect books I've download???
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #9
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I have tried using the calibre plugin for B&N but I still get the error - cannot convert, etc....

I am not sure if it's my NAME (one character) or CC info. But clearly something does not compute.

Also, I've got the nook pc reader - so I seem to have two copies - one I directly downloaded and one from the nook-app storage in MyDocs (or wherever it stored it) - neither copy will decrypt.

B&N would allow me to change my name but that might affect books I've download???
Removing DRM protection from ebooks is illegal in USA (yes, I don't like that silly law but it is what it is).

I'm afraid we cannot give you specific details about that process or mobileread forums and/or the user who will can get legal problems. But Google it, there is lot of information and people online that can help you.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:34 PM   #10
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I just read up on one of the other forums that somebody else is having problems today getting Barnes and Noble DRM to authorize correctly? Maybe something is screwy today.

I don't think it would affect anything you previously downloaded because the DRM has already been set on those files. It should only affect the books that you currently download.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:07 PM   #11
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I think we, B&N and I, had a discrepency in my name associated with the account. I changed things and things changed - for the better.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote