Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-24-2022, 10:25 AM   #1
at0m
at0m began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Use Dark Mode with default reader and launcher?

Hello everyone,

I jailbreaked my Kindle PW2 a few days ago, installed Kual and KOReader to use Dark Mode.

I don't know exactly how I managed to do that but I was able to use the original Kindle Launcher and Reader for reading and still the colors of the whole system were inverted (black background, white text). I then reopened Kual and started KOReader again. After I exited that, the colors were as before (white background, black text).

Does anyone know what steps are necessary to invert the colors globally throughout the Kindle, or does anyone know another way to use Dark Mode on the PW2 and still use the built-in reader (I don't like the KOReader)?
at0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 03:19 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
If you have USBNetwork and/or FBInk installed, you can run fbdepth -H on

There's no proper software tracking outside of KOReader, though, so it won't be using the slightly-less-terrible nightmode waveforms introduced in FW 5.6.5.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2022, 04:25 PM   #3
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
There is also this extension created by cronot; can be toggled on and off from within KUAL.

Works well on my voyage, with the caveat that the screen refreshes to full white for a split second at every page turn, which might be disturbing to some people when reading in a dark room.
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:07 AM   #4
Gaudi
Gaudi began at the beginning.

Device: Voyage+Oasis 2nd
Quote:
Originally Posted by at0m View Post
Hello everyone,

I jailbreaked my Kindle PW2 a few days ago, installed Kual and KOReader to use Dark Mode.

I don't know exactly how I managed to do that but I was able to use the original Kindle Launcher and Reader for reading and still the colors of the whole system were inverted (black background, white text). I then reopened Kual and started KOReader again. After I exited that, the colors were as before (white background, black text).

Does anyone know what steps are necessary to invert the colors globally throughout the Kindle, or does anyone know another way to use Dark Mode on the PW2 and still use the built-in reader (I don't like the KOReader)?
It happened the same to me, I managed to invert the colors, but have no clue how I did that.
I was unable to replicate it. Tested the Fake Night Mode, but it did not work.

Have you found out how to go again into Dark Mode?

Thank you
Gaudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:18 AM   #5
Gaudi
Gaudi began at the beginning.

Device: Voyage+Oasis 2nd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudi View Post
It happened the same to me, I managed to invert the colors, but have no clue how I did that.
I was unable to replicate it. Tested the Fake Night Mode, but it did not work.

Have you found out how to go again into Dark Mode?

Thank you
I correct myself, I was using the wrong version of USBNet.
downloaded USBNetwork Hack | kindle-usbnet-0.22.N-r18897.tar.xz from Snapshots of NiLuJe's hacks and now it works as expected.

Hope this help other users
Gaudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
dark mode, jailbreak, paperwhite 3