Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
eReaders become tablets; tablets become eReaders!

Kind of exciting, as the two worlds converge.

Tablet-News:

"Archos and TigerDirect Create Cheap Tablet for Publishers
Written by James A.
01 Oct 2011
View Comments

Archos and TigerDirect are working on an initiative that involves a customized and cheap Android tablet for publishers. These will subsidize the cost of the slate and it will result into a cheap and efficient e-reading device, that can also do more stuff--"

http://tablet-news.com/2011/10/01/ar...or-publishers/
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Whenever I see "TigerDirect" mentioned, my first (unfair) thought is "Clearance item".
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post

Kind of exciting, as the two worlds converge.
No... I read for relaxation using an e-ink reader that I can easily hold in my hand... I use my tablet for tech pdfs, magazines but only comics for relaxation as, although less comfortable to relax with, comics work better that way but the eReader is a 6" device and the tablet is a 10" device... if they converge then I end up with a device that is sized wrongly for one of the things I want and probably too big to slip in a pocket for portable reading...

I'm not alone in not wanting one device to do multiple jobs as other threads have commented many times... some of us prefer dedicated devices that do one job well rather than many poorly or just OK...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
One of the reasons I got my iPad was because I wanted an ereader, but I wanted something more versatile. And it's great as an ereader in a lot of ways, but wasn't perfect for a few. The backlighting is fine for most reading, like for websites and that kind of thing, but for more sustained reading that requires more concentration, it gives me eye strain. And it doesn't fit in my purse, and that's a big deal for me. I don't want to have to carry around a huge, heavy purse. So yeah, tablets work as ereaders, but they aren't great ereaders, and it's worth having something small and really easy on the eyes, at least for me and my aging eyes and my fairly small purse.

To be fair, there are reasons why it's the perfect ereader too, and the biggest one is versatility. You can read any book from any source on it. At least I never found a book that wouldn't come up on my iPad. I wasn't locked into any store, or any specific app or anything like that. Maybe someone who doesn't mind the size and has younger eyes would prefer a tablet.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:41 PM   #5
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Whenever I see "TigerDirect" mentioned, my first (unfair) thought is "Clearance item".
That brought about some reminiscing.
A few years ago, I bought things from TigerDirect, and yes they would have some discounted things along with the latest but I liked their layout and presentation.
I also bought from Comp USA (retail store and online) (lost $60 to $70 of rebates when they went bankrupt), computers4U or something like that which doesn't seem to exist anymore, Circuit City (from way back, but we know what happened to them), but then I discovered Amazon. My friend!
Advert
Old 10-01-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
No... I read for relaxation using an e-ink reader that I can easily hold in my hand... I use my tablet for tech pdfs, magazines but only comics for relaxation as, although less comfortable to relax with, comics work better that way but the eReader is a 6" device and the tablet is a 10" device... if they converge then I end up with a device that is sized wrongly for one of the things I want and probably too big to slip in a pocket for portable reading...

I'm not alone in not wanting one device to do multiple jobs as other threads have commented many times... some of us prefer dedicated devices that do one job well rather than many poorly or just OK...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
One of the reasons I got my iPad was because I wanted an ereader, but I wanted something more versatile. And it's great as an ereader in a lot of ways, but wasn't perfect for a few. The backlighting is fine for most reading, like for websites and that kind of thing, but for more sustained reading that requires more concentration, it gives me eye strain. And it doesn't fit in my purse, and that's a big deal for me. I don't want to have to carry around a huge, heavy purse. So yeah, tablets work as ereaders, but they aren't great ereaders, and it's worth having something small and really easy on the eyes, at least for me and my aging eyes and my fairly small purse.

To be fair, there are reasons why it's the perfect ereader too, and the biggest one is versatility. You can read any book from any source on it. At least I never found a book that wouldn't come up on my iPad. I wasn't locked into any store, or any specific app or anything like that. Maybe someone who doesn't mind the size and has younger eyes would prefer a tablet.
It is nice for many people to only have to purchase one device because of keeping costs low, not having to keep track of them, and no worrying about replacing several when they fail or become outdated.

For a lot of us on this blog, we probably have a closet, (or like me a big bookcase) full of old stuff unless we like to sell stuff on ebay.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:44 AM   #7
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Whenever I see "TigerDirect" mentioned, my first (based on experience of having ordered from them) is "relentless spammers."
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:47 AM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Whenever I see "TigerDirect" mentioned, my first (based on experience of having ordered from them) is "relentless spammers."
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #9
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
I consider my electronic toys the same as audio/video equipment. I buy individual components for several reasons. If one "part" of an integrated system dies, you can still use the remaining system until the offending item is repaired or replaced without shutting everything off. If I want to upgrade my DVD player to BlueRay, I don't have to trash everything else to do it. If my LCD computer monitor goes bad, I replace only the monitor and use the old CRT that is still working. If my eReader dies, I can still read on my laptop or computer in a pinch. In addition, with the incredibly short lifespans of these expensive toys, I can't justify putting all my internet/reading/surfing capability into one device. I have a neighbor who is always chasing the edge of the envelope who bemoans the fact that the new Droid Bionic is out and one version 'better' than the one he had, so he 'had' to replace the old one. Tablets are a fad and provide me with nothing new. They are too big to stuff in a pocket, uncomfortable to hold in one hand, too short between charges, all but unreadable in normal sunlight, too small to adequately display magazine pages with color images, and they will be obsolete and replaced by yet another idea in 12 months.

But that's just my view. I haven't found anyone yet to whom I have recommended buying a tablet once they list their needs and think about it. That doesn't mean they don't have some value to some people.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:48 AM   #10
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
It is nice for many people to only have to purchase one device because of keeping costs low, not having to keep track of them, and no worrying about replacing several when they fail or become outdated.

For a lot of us on this blog, we probably have a closet, (or like me a big bookcase) full of old stuff unless we like to sell stuff on ebay.
Keeping costs low by buying one item... not necessarily, my ereader and tablet combined cost less than an iPad or any of the other big names tablets except the Fire... and that's no good for me because it's 7" Where's the worry about replacement... one "all purpose" item fails and you can't do a thing until replaced, one dedicated device fails and you can still use others to do other things until specific device replaced... and I have never had all dedicated devices fail simultaneously or become outdated in performing their task to require replacing several at same time but a GP device would do this at one go... I don't tend to grab the "latest & greatest" just because it's there, I tend to apply more simple criteria - do I need this or do I want this? Very different...

Each to his own but there will always be those who prefer dedicated devices toperform a task very well and others who want a multi-purpose device and accept that it is a "Jack of all Trades."
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:51 AM   #11
tothepoint
Writer
tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.

Device: Kindle
I'm one of those who loves my Kindle for the reason that the display isn't an LCD display and doesn't give me eye strain.
tothepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #12
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Keeping costs low by buying one item... not necessarily, my ereader and tablet combined cost less than an iPad or any of the other big names tablets except the Fire... and that's no good for me because it's 7" Where's the worry about replacement... one "all purpose" item fails and you can't do a thing until replaced, one dedicated device fails and you can still use others to do other things until specific device replaced... and I have never had all dedicated devices fail simultaneously or become outdated in performing their task to require replacing several at same time but a GP device would do this at one go... I don't tend to grab the "latest & greatest" just because it's there, I tend to apply more simple criteria - do I need this or do I want this? Very different...

Each to his own but there will always be those who prefer dedicated devices toperform a task very well and others who want a multi-purpose device and accept that it is a "Jack of all Trades."
elcreative,
I didn't mean to imply that it was wrong to have a lot of devices, and in fact confessed that I had a big bookcase full, just that some people might be looking for machines that do more than one task to conserve their funds.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #13
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
My posts here are not to argue one way or another. But as a 'consultant' to many friends who trust my judgement and opinion, I try to encourage reading and eDevices while at the same time warning them of the potentially negative aspects that they may not have considered when getting excited about a purchase. If they can live with the defects and disadvantages, great. Everything is a compromise, be it price, size, weight, screen type, charge duration or availability of books in the required genre.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #14
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mldavis2 View Post
My posts here are not to argue one way or another. .....

Whaaa? Hmmm??? Are you addressing to someone??

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:33 PM   #15
Zanshin
Connoisseur
Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 4 (non-touch), Kindle DX Graphite, Asus Transformer
As long as tablets will have backlit screens they won't be suited for serious reading.

And I have to say, Archos sucks when it comes to tablets. I loved their mp3 players but their tablets are just cheap crap (well you get what you pay for).
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote