Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-06-2020, 03:37 PM   #946
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
E24010: Hyperlink not resolved in toc (One possible reason can be that the link points to a tag with style display:none)
That error is produced by the Kindle Previewer and indicates that your book has a link in the table of contents (NCX or NAV) to either a non-existent location or to content that cannot be displayed. You can use the calibre editor to find and correct this problem in your source file, but it will require some knowledge of EPUB and HTML to do so.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:20 AM   #947
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Version 1.46.0 - 18 Nov 2020

Detect Kindle Previewer versions up to 3.48.
Old 11-19-2020, 03:57 AM   #948
QChristensen
QChristensen began at the beginning.

Device: none
I convert the training material my company has written with Calibre and use the Kindle plugin to convert to KFX format for those who use Kindles. Normally it works fine, but I have a book which has been translated to Russian. It gets 67% of the way through converting fairly quickly, then sits there for 25 minutes (actually 27:26 apparently) before throwing an error: Conversion error: Enhanced typsetting not supported for this book.

Any ideas on how to fix this, please?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p.jpeg
Views:	157
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	183468  

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-19-2020 at 04:23 AM. Reason: fixed images
QChristensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:23 AM   #949
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QChristensen View Post
Conversion error: Enhanced typsetting not supported for this book.

The Kindle Previewer sometimes fails to give a specific reason for conversion failure. That appears to be the case here. If you post the job log from the conversion it may be possible to determine something further from that.

See the section on "Dealing with Conversion Errors" in the first post of this thread for more information.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:57 AM   #950
chabietdatgi
chabietdatgi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by QChristensen View Post
I convert the training material my company has written with Calibre and use the Kindle plugin to convert to KFX format for those who use Kindles. Normally it works fine, but I have a book which has been translated to Russian.

I have the same problem with the Vietnamese ebook. Kindle Previewer doesn't support this language books. I tried to change the Epub language to English. It worked.

Edit book -> Content.opf -> <dc:language>en</dc:language>

And you require set languages in metadata too.

Hope this help!
chabietdatgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:07 AM   #951
steakhutzeee
Enthusiast
steakhutzeee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
Just created a .kpf file from .jpg images. Used that to create the kfx file from command line.

This is the log. It's ok? It's the first time i convert a comic book.

Spoiler:
C:\Temp>calibre-debug -r "KFX Output" -- Homunculus_1.kpf Software versions: KFX Output 1.46.0, calibre 5.6 [64bit], Windows-10-10.0.18362 KFX Output plugin help is available at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=272407 Converting Homunculus_1.kpf Processing container: Homunculus_1.kpf Removed 1 KDF SQLite file fingerprint(s) WARNING: Feature yj_non_pdf_fixed_layout already present in KPF Adding book_navigation Built approximate location_map with 254 locations WARNING: Unknown KCB data: book_state/book_input_type=4 WARNING: Unknown KCB data: metadata/edited_tool_versions=1.46.2.0 WARNING: Unknown KCB data: metadata/tool_version=1.46.2.0 kfxgen version: kfxlib-20201118 Features: CanonicalFormat-2, max_id-787, yj_non_pdf_fixed_layout-2, yj_publisher_panels-2 WARNING: Unknown kindle_audit_metadata: creator_version=1.46.2.0 Metadata: ASIN=R36VMG1EPCA61EFU8JR9BIEC8VNSMB3M, asset_id=CR!LBH73D5GHQ3ANUTYE78B62WTT3T9, book_id=e282rU93QXSTGnIihL_XMw0, cde_content_type=EBOK, content_id=R36VMG1EPCA61EFU8JR9BIEC8VNSMB3M, cover_image=760x1100, file_creator=KC, is_sample=False, override_kindle_font=False, reading_orders=1, selection=enabled, yj_fixed_layout=1, yj_publisher_panels=1 WARNING: KFX container created may be too large for some devices (52629185 bytes) Successfully converted to KFX
steakhutzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:59 AM   #952
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakhutzeee View Post
Just created a .kpf file from .jpg images. Used that to create the kfx file from command line.

This is the log. It's ok? It's the first time i convert a comic book.
It looks from the log that it converted properly. The warnings are mostly due to the version of Kindle Create you used being newer than the KFX Output calibre plugin.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:54 AM   #953
steakhutzeee
Enthusiast
steakhutzeee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
It looks from the log that it converted properly. The warnings are mostly due to the version of Kindle Create you used being newer than the KFX Output calibre plugin.
Thanks!

It seems that i can't import the kfx file in Calibre to preview it tho.
steakhutzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 02:29 PM   #954
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steakhutzeee View Post
Thanks!

It seems that i can't import the kfx file in Calibre to preview it tho.
The easiest way to preview KFX files is to use Amazon's Kindle Previewer. (You will need to change the file extension from .kfx to .azw8 in order to open it with that software.)
Old 12-09-2020, 08:40 PM   #955
mrpops
mrpops began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
hmm i have a bit of a problem and i'm not sure where i'd go to get it fixed.

I have a Kindle Voyage, I use the kindle cover screensaver hack + I sideload everything in .kfx (coverted epub to .kfx)

Previously everything worked perfectly and the screensaver cover mod picked up all .kfx covers fine. I actually have the old version of the kindle previewer when it worked (Kindle Previewer 3.35.0)

Do you have any idea what has gone on from there to now, to break compatibility? I have a bunch of old .kfx books which load perfectly (created using whatever version kfx output was available around the same time as the above mentioned Kindle Previewer) but unfortunately any new ones I create just don't get picked up.

Any ideas how I diagnose this further?

edit: just to clarify, the books themselves sideload fine, the thumbnail exists and works - the only issue is that the screensaver cover mod no longer picks up the cover.

Last edited by mrpops; 12-09-2020 at 08:44 PM.
mrpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:53 AM   #956
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpops View Post
Do you have any idea what has gone on from there to now, to break compatibility? I have a bunch of old .kfx books which load perfectly (created using whatever version kfx output was available around the same time as the above mentioned Kindle Previewer) but unfortunately any new ones I create just don't get picked up.

Any ideas how I diagnose this further?
The screensaver program for jailbroken Kindles uses kfxmeta.py to extract the cover from KFX books. That is a program I wrote in 2016 based on my understanding of KFX at that time.

Kfxmeta assumes that the first image found in a KFX file is the cover. That is true for KFX files delivered by Amazon, which have book metadata (including the cover) in a separate file from the book content. But is is not always true for KFX files created by KFX Output since they have everything in a single file. It was only by chance that the screensaver ever worked properly for KFX Output books.

Kfxmeta could be updated to handle covers more correctly, but that is a project that I do not have the time to take on right now.
Old 12-10-2020, 01:31 PM   #957
mrpops
mrpops began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The screensaver program for jailbroken Kindles uses kfxmeta.py to extract the cover from KFX books. That is a program I wrote in 2016 based on my understanding of KFX at that time.

Kfxmeta assumes that the first image found in a KFX file is the cover. That is true for KFX files delivered by Amazon, which have book metadata (including the cover) in a separate file from the book content. But is is not always true for KFX files created by KFX Output since they have everything in a single file. It was only by chance that the screensaver ever worked properly for KFX Output books.

Kfxmeta could be updated to handle covers more correctly, but that is a project that I do not have the time to take on right now.
ah thank you for this comprehensive answer and yeah this all tallies with my observed behaviour too. That it will find random chapter images, or publisher used images (that aren't covers), or facebook / twitter icons or any image it can find and use that as the cover.

Its kinda strange though at one point I had a working setup and KFX worked fine alongside it. Is there an easy accessible repo of past versions of kfx output so I could try those out and find a known working solution?

edit: stumbled upon this that might do the trick, time to do some testing

edit 2 to log some testing
kfx output v1.45.0 - calibre, version 5.6.0
ERROR: 'Unsupported Kindle Previewer 3 version 3.35.0 is installed (version 3.38.0 or newer required)
kfx output v1.44.0 - same as above
kfx output v1.41.1 - same as above

hmm im not sure how far back i'd need to go then, seems this repo doesn't start from initial development. i'll try kindle previewer 3.39.0 and see how that goes.

kfx output v1.41.1 - conversion succeed at least. Testing isn't promising though. nope, same issues as before.

will edit more if i can dig up older repo's of past kfx output versions to find one that works. Oh from digging through the changelog I can see that 'Version 1.34.0 - 12 Nov 2019 - Detect Kindle Previewer versions up to 3.35 and remove support for Previewer versions older than 3.32. Version 3.35 supports the widows/orphans CSS properties and vertical Japanese text.'

so thats the version i need to find somewhere.

Last edited by mrpops; 12-10-2020 at 02:13 PM.
mrpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:45 AM   #958
OasisPageTurner
OasisPageTurner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019
Thank you so much for developing this plugin!
OasisPageTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 02:37 PM   #959
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OasisPageTurner View Post
Thank you so much for developing this plugin!
You're welcome.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:21 AM   #960
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Version 1.47.0 - 22 Dec 2020

Add support for the Linux platform. Requires that the Kindle Previewer be installed under Wine. See the "Installation" section of the plugin documentation for more information. (Thanks to mwaschbu.)

Add an option to include messages from the Kindle Previewer's quality report in the conversion log.

Tags
kfx, linux, wine