Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-05-2021, 11:34 AM   #151
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwepret View Post
On the JB hotfix download page there no mention of KOA3 being supported,
I never updated the filenames, because it was getting silly.

If you're not talking about the filenames, please point me to a direct quote of what you're talking about .

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwepret View Post
and on the post linking to it specifies downloading 1.15.N, while the version I downloaded is 1.16.N.
Again, which post would that be?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 12:17 PM   #152
bettyboop3
bettyboop3 began at the beginning.

Device: pw3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I don't know how you got the idea that being on a list of all known kindle models means the firmware can be downgraded. The only current kindles that can be downgraded are older Paperwhite 4's.
I think this can be made more clear at the start of the thread. The text reads:

Quote:
"If your firmware is not on this list...It's higher than 5.13.3: Your device is not supported by this jailbreak."
I recommend the copy read:
Quote:
"If your firmware is not on this list...It's higher than 5.13.3: Your device is not supported by this jailbreak. There are no known methods to downgrade to a version that is supported by this jailbreak"
I had my PW3 device running 15.13.3 and was successful in putting it into airplane mode, then running the updated jailbreak and installing MRPI and KUAL. I tested a few extensions from the snapshots thread successfully.

I also installed the Rescue pack.

Despite the red copy in the initial post, in following the instructions in this post, "Making sure your JB survives updates" I mistook this step as actually blocking OTA updates of the OS.

The reason I thought this is there are so many different points of reference that I presumed that the specific purpose of this step was to disable OTA. It references that Airplane mode is the only known way to prevent "being screwed" though I read that passage as to "while performing this step" rather than forever while using this jailbreak until the methods in this thread are worked out.

As a result, while testing aspects of USBNetworking with wifi enabled, my device auto-updated to 5.13.5! The KUAL application now shows a dialog Application Error. I looked in documents and there is a KUAL.kual file with zero bytes.

Since I had installed the recovery prior to the OTA update, is there any way to ssh in and successfully revert?

I realize I misread the instructions, but I was earnestly trying to keep the device running 5.13.3. I very much regret not attempting the hacks to prevent OTA.

I'm pretty bummed, I had hoped to get a wireless page turner working via a Homekit button as a project and feel stuck now.
bettyboop3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2021, 01:45 PM   #153
cwepret
cwepret began at the beginning.

Device: KOA3
It's been a decade since I've used a classic forum like this so bear with me haha, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I never updated the filenames, because it was getting silly.

If you're not talking about the filenames, please point me to a direct quote of what you're talking about .
I was referencing the tools snapshots page for the "K5 JailBreak Hotfix"only shows the following above it:
Quote:
Packages targeting the Kindle 5 (Touch/PW1/PW2/KT2/KV/PW3/KOA/KT3/KOA2/PW4/KT4):

Quote:
Again, which post would that be?
That was in reference to this post and was just the filename. So nothing wrong there, just confusion on my part.

Though if you could confirm as I'm on KOA3 w/ 5.12.4 with the devkey from the jailbreak on this post and I'm more than a little new and over my head. As I'm running >=5.12.X does this mean I continue with the K5 JB Hotfix as normal (add hotfix bin to root, don't restart device, navigate to updates)? I have not yet installed KUAL, MRPI, or anything else, solely just added the jailbreak. Just hesitant to take it off airplane mode and hit update only to find I didn't follow the instruction correctly.
cwepret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 01:59 PM   #154
cwepret
cwepret began at the beginning.

Device: KOA3
If I could edit my previous post I would, I didn't realize the K5 JB Hotfix bin is recognized as an update and can be done without taking the Kindle out of airplane mode. I've run the hotfix, seems all good.

Going to continue with installing KUAL, MRPI, and renameotabin.

Regardless, thank you all for the help (and great jailbreak)!
cwepret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 02:31 PM   #155
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@bettyboop3: Just reinstall the hotfix, if you actually finished the JB properly beforehand, you're probably mostly okay.
Advert
Old 06-05-2021, 02:32 PM   #156
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@cwepret: Thanks, fixed both of those .
Old 06-07-2021, 12:32 PM   #157
easyrider
easyrider began at the beginning.

Device: android phone
Quote:
@bettyboop3: Just reinstall the hotfix, if you actually finished the JB properly beforehand, you're probably mostly okay.
@NiLuJe,
how do I reinstall hotfix?
By copying the Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.16.N_install.bin file to the root directory?
As described in:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1597
easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 12:49 PM   #158
easyrider
easyrider began at the beginning.

Device: android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider View Post
@NiLuJe,
how do I reinstall hotfix?
By copying the Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.16.N_install.bin file to the root directory?
As described in:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1597
I've reinstalled hotfix via Update my kindle but
still getting error while trying to run KUAL
easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:11 AM   #159
dnmmx
Enthusiast
dnmmx is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider View Post
I've reinstalled hotfix via Update my kindle but
still getting error while trying to run KUAL
This should help you: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=26
dnmmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:14 AM   #160
dnmmx
Enthusiast
dnmmx is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Hi Guys,

Hope you are all doing well.

I do have one question out of curiosity.
Let's say you have working JB with PW4 5.13.5 firmware.
Does this mean you can downgrade to say 5.10.x or 5.11.x, or is that not an option anymore after going beyond 5.13.3?
dnmmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:34 PM   #161
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Downgrading was *never* an option (at least not the way you're thinking of).
Old 06-15-2021, 04:02 AM   #162
docholodoc
docholodoc began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw3 2017
Lightbulb I've did the jailbreak on kindle pw3 5.13.4 by serial-port

Hello, help me, I can't put any hotfixes. The log file is there, error 007 when installing hotfixes. Failed to install: JB hotfixes, MRPI, Kual ( i try to install all of this fixes in succession). I do not know how to attach a text file, I am new to the forum, so here is what is written in the log-
Loaded logging functions
Didn't find existing developer key
Unable to create developer key (1)
Updated permissions for developer key
Enabled developer flag
Finished installing jailbreak, restarting...
Later I will describe in detail how I did jailbreak, I used a programmer and a 341a voltage divider, I will make a little more detailed guide about soldering and choosing parameters, some things were not obvious when working with 341a.
docholodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:18 PM   #163
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Starting with a double-post as your first foray into the forum is not a great look.
Old 06-15-2021, 12:19 PM   #164
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by docholodoc View Post
Unable to create developer key (1)
Then you did not, in fact, JB your device at all, which kinda explains everything .

As for why: there's a dedicated procedure for serial JB. This is not it. Trying to fit a round peg into a square hole without understanding what the peg and the hole both do is bound to get you into trouble.
Old 06-24-2021, 11:22 AM   #165
gleniu
gleniu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Hello Guys,

many thanks to the team for the great work, I really appreciate that

I'm fully aware that you can JB your Kindle up to 5.13.3, but I'm just curious if JB survives further system updates (5.13.4 to 5.13.6) if it is properly JailBroken already.

Best regards
gleniu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.13.3, exploit, jailbreak, kindle, kindlebreak