Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-02-2022, 11:28 AM   #1
darrenma
darrenma began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Sharing books by email

I have used Calibre to download The Economist and then send to my kindle for a long time. in previous version, the email subject is:E-book: The Economist, and the attachment file name is The Economist - calibre.mobi,which is easy for me when ever I want to share with my friends.
But The latest three versions changed the way, the email subject changed to a random string which is difficult to know what email is about.
can it change back to previous design? or is it possible to customlize the function in the tweaks of preference?
darrenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 12:11 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
There are many posts on what Amazon broke (I'm to lazy to link them right now). This is NOT Calibres fault.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2022, 12:43 PM   #3
darrenma

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
There are many posts on what Amazon broke (I'm to lazy to link them right now). This is NOT Calibres fault.
I am not talking about Amazon's not reading the metadata.

I am saying the way calibre sending books by email, as I am also using them in the email sometimes, but now the subject is a random string so unless you open the mail you don't know what is about by the subject.

Last edited by darrenma; 10-02-2022 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-02-2022, 01:16 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenma View Post
I have used Calibre to download The Economist and then send to my kindle for a long time. in previous version, the email subject is:E-book: The Economist, and the attachment file name is The Economist - calibre.mobi,which is easy for me when ever I want to share with my friends.
But The latest three versions changed the way, the email subject changed to a random string which is difficult to know what email is about.
can it change back to previous design? or is it possible to customlize the function in the tweaks of preference?
This was fixed in calibre 6.6.1 (actually 6.6.0). Are you running that version?

EDIT: The fix changed the file name. The subject is still numbers.

Last edited by chaley; 10-02-2022 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Accuracy
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 02:01 PM   #5
darrenma

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
This was fixed in calibre 6.6.1 (actually 6.6.0). Are you running that version?

EDIT: The fix changed the file name. The subject is still numbers.
I am running 6.4 in which the email subject is the ebook title while sharing books by email
Advert
Old 10-02-2022, 10:19 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Send to a non kindle address and you will get a subject that is not a random string.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 04:08 AM   #7
darrenma

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Send to a non kindle address and you will get a subject that is not a random string.
great!
Old 01-28-2023, 08:03 AM   #8
DeepVoid
DeepVoid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th Gen
Quote:
How to use a non kindle email address for a kindle device?
DeepVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 10:53 AM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepVoid View Post
You need to set up an email relay using GMX, Outlook Web, whatever to send the email rather than directly from calibre. This will also help to avoid issues where Amazon will not accept calibre's SMTP server since that your computer's external IP address is unlikely to be in their allowed listing.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 12:16 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
??? I thought the only e-mail way into a Kindle is using Amazon, so they can forward it in their protocol via whispernet or TCP/IP

Do Kindles run an e-mail client? How do you set it to use a different POP service?

OP
An alternate (very clunky) is to use the 'experimental' browser built in to older K's to access the Calibre Content server (If on Local Network, you do not need port forwarding)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 03:34 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Yes, you "allow list" your sending address on your Amazon Device page for a Kindle, where you can copy or edit the Kindle destination address.

There is no email on the Kindle. It's the famed "Whispernet" delivery only from Amazon direct on WiFi or mobile/cell depending on model.

If you normally use a desktop email client that has SMTP settings (outgoing or sending server) then that's what you use in Calibre.

You can test send an epub from the desktop email
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot at 2023-01-28 20-26-49.png
Views:	59
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	199302

Here is ficticious hosting someone uses. But if you have email with your ISP, using their SMTP, it goes in the boxes.

The GMX & Outlook are only convenience. As indeed is the built-in email sending.

You are really sending from the ISP or mail provider or hosting company SMTP.

Many ISPs in UK and Ireland will block a personal SMTP, like is built into Calibre. So really for sending email to anything (rather than web mail) you need an SMTP on the internet that you hyave an account with. It can gmx or outlook, or your ISP or a hosting package.

I've tested "Send to Kindle" email, but not the newer web interface which allows bigger files. Your ISP or hosting may have a smaller SMTP limit than Amazon anyway.

I prefer to do my own conversions, use USB cable and keep my content private.
One could use the Calibre Share by Email to send PD (or your own created content) to friends, family or beta readers, but I prefer a specific written email with an attachment.

Other people could add your sending email address to their kindle, and then you can email PD ebooks to someone that has no PC or can't work attachments and USB.

One advantage of Kindle over all others, someone could have 3G/4G kindle you set up, and no Internet and you buy their books (on account you created for them) and also send them PD books.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-28-2023 at 03:43 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 09:59 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepVoid View Post
Since you cant see the subject of emails sent to amazon, as those emails are not forwarded to your device the subject on emails sent to kindle addresses is irrelevant.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 05:45 AM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Since you cant see the subject of emails sent to amazon, as those emails are not forwarded to your device the subject on emails sent to kindle addresses is irrelevant.
Indeed, the Kindle only gets the converted attachment from Amazon. The body text is also lost.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote