Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-17-2020, 09:14 AM   #1
alland
alland began at the beginning.

Device: ipad pro
Creating Fixed Format ebooks of spreads

Hopefully somebody knows the answer to solving my problem converting fixed layout PDFs that apparently have to display as a spread in ePub and AZW3:

• We have created a series of children's picture books using Affinity Publisher, outputted them as flattened PDFs (because that's the only way to reliably preserve the layouts. That works perfectly.
The problem comes when I try to convert using the current version of Calibre to create ePUB and AZW3 files:

The biggest challenge is that the drawings are designed for a spread (i.e. the two facing pages) so I have to ensure that the two facing pages display jointly in the ebook reader (Kindle, Apple, etc).
If I generate single pages, what I get in the reader is apparently unpredictable i.e. some show one page, some show both pages, some don't match the facing pages! But if I generate spreads (i.e. the two facing pages outputted as a single page), then the ebook readers can display two of these spreads at a time or some other unsatisfactory result.

There must be a good solution as many other people have successfully published kids's picturebooks — but I sure can't figured how to make this work to get output that will reliably display in readers like Kindle, Apple, etc.

FYI - just to be clear, with Affinity Publisher the only good option would seem to be to output to PDF, so that's pretty much got to be my starting point for the ePub and Kindle output.

Any help or advice will be hugely appreciated as I have spent (wasted?) hours trying to make this work reliably ... Thanks!
alland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:08 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I don't know much about this topic, but it seems to be something differs across the different distribution/reading platforms.

For the Kindle platform this topic is discussed in the Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines in section 12.4.1: Requirement #1: Using a Synthetic Spread When Orientation-Lock Equals None.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2020, 10:27 AM   #3
alland
alland began at the beginning.

Device: ipad pro
Red face

Thanks! Downloading the info now!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I don't know much about this topic, but it seems to be something differs across the different distribution/reading platforms.

For the Kindle platform this topic is discussed in the Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines in section 12.4.1: Requirement #1: Using a Synthetic Spread When Orientation-Lock Equals None.
alland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
affinity, fixed layout ebook, pdf conversion failure, spread