Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-19-2019, 06:57 PM   #1
blueberry pie
blueberry pie began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre eBook Reader Pro
Accessing files on chromebook

I used Calibre to convert a few epub books to AZW3 format and saved them to Google drive. I then downloaded the files to my chromebook (Pixelbook). They appear as zipped files and a default unzipper opens them to three parts. I click on the largest, the text, but I can't open it (nor the others). I have the Kindle app and Kindle Cloud reader but see no option to get at the files on my chromebook. Right clicking does not help me. That results in a window that says select an app to open, no list, choice to go to chrome web store only (already have the Kindle apps).

The intent is to put them on my elderly mom's old Kindle keyboard when I visit. There is no internet there, no pc. Thus, the downloading to chromebook for transfer.

Can anyone help me to get to the files, or suggest a way to get them onto the Kindle?
blueberry pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:24 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberry pie View Post
I used Calibre to convert a few epub books to AZW3 format and saved them to Google drive. I then downloaded the files to my chromebook (Pixelbook). They appear as zipped files and a default unzipper opens them to three parts. I click on the largest, the text, but I can't open it (nor the others).
This makes no sense to me. AZW3 is nothing like a ZIP file.

Quote:
I have the Kindle app and Kindle Cloud reader but see no option to get at the files on my chromebook.
Which Kindle app are you referring to?

The Kindle Cloud Reader is a web browser app that accesses purchased books from your Amazon account. It can't handle local files or AZW3 format.

Quote:
The intent is to put them on my elderly mom's old Kindle keyboard when I visit. There is no internet there, no pc. Thus, the downloading to chromebook for transfer.
The Kindle should look like a USB drive when connected. You would copy the file to its documents folder and eject. (Assuming that you can get the proper file.)
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2019, 11:37 PM   #3
blueberry pie
blueberry pie began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre eBook Reader Pro
Thanks jhowell. It is a mystery to me why each book downloads from Google Drive as a zipped file to the chromebook. Perhaps it's a default since there is little storage. From Calibre, I convert to AZW3, right click, save to disk. Then I upload to Google Drive. A folder appears and upon clicking on it, three files appear, an XML, an image, and, I assume, the actual text, identified only as a binary file.

The Amazon Kindle app is on the chromebook in addition to Kindle Cloud Reader. Thank you for clarifying that the KCR can't read local files.

I will have my hands on the Kindle tomorrow and will try to copy the files from the chromebook to the reader.
blueberry pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:44 AM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
It is likely that you are saving the original EPUB to disk. An EPUB is basically a zipped set of files with content like you describe.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:13 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
It is likely that you are saving the original EPUB to disk. An EPUB is basically a zipped set of files with content like you describe.
That's my first thought, too.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2019, 09:13 AM   #6
mikecgoss
mikecgoss began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Zip files from Google Drive

Anytime you download multiple files from the Google Drive, Google will zip them. You must unzip them after they are downloaded. Alternatively you can download them one at a time and they will stay in the original format.

On Android:
In order to read them with the Kindle App, you have to move them into the directory "Main Storage -> Android -> Data -> com.amazon.kindle -> files"
You can install the Free APP FX to do this.
mikecgoss is offline   Reply With Quote