Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-27-2018, 10:30 PM   #1
mgrimace
Connoisseur
mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Calibre settings from Kobo (KA1) -> Kindle (KO2)

Hello,

I have Calibre (v.3.34) setup to convert books to .kepub automatically upon sending to a Kobo Aura One (via the Kobo Touch Extended Plugin). I've recently sold my KA1, and decided to replace it with a Kindle Oasis 2 (which hasn't arrived yet!), instead of the Forma which was my original plan - and I need help to change my Calibre workflow from Kobo -> Kindle.

I've been looking for a similar option/plugin/guide for the KO2, and haven't found as clear setup instructions (I apologize if I've missed something obvious) - how do I set up Calibre so it converts my books to the proper K02 format when I send it to my new Kindle (i.e., automatically on send if possible)? And what IS that format (there seems to be conflicting info on azw3 vs. kfx)?
Finally, are there any other recommended settings for using calibre specifically with the KO2 (e.g., like for Kobo there was the Kobo Shelves/Collections Wiki)?

Thank you kindly for the help/support!
mgrimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:03 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
In the Kindle ecosystem there are multiple ebook formats and multiple ways of getting them to your device with tradeoffs for each combination. There is no one best solution for everyone. Also unless you jailbreak your device (look into that before you turn it on) you will not be able to have your collections controlled by calibre. Even if you do that there are tradeoffs. Good luck.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2018, 07:33 AM   #3
mgrimace
Connoisseur
mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!

Hi Jhowell,

Thanks for the info, thats a great overview and advice. I'll look into the jailbreak before powering up, though I think I'll avoid collections for now (it's specifically just series info that I'm interested in anyways).

In terms of selecting a format, as far as I can tell via this discussion:
* (dual) mobi => only format for email-to-kindle (but shows up in personal docs vs. as a 'book') - I'd rather physically connect the device and have it show up as a 'book'
* AZW3 => 'easiest' format to convert and send to device re. compatibility and having the cover show up properly etc.
* KFX => 'newest' format that supports enhanced typesetting, via KFX plugin and requires the additional Amazon Kindle Previewer software.

So for my workflow if I went with AZW3 (while I explore KFX), would be:
1) update a book's metadata (to get ASIN tag so book/cover shows up properly on device)
2) manually covert to AWZ3
3) manually send to device

Is there anything I'm missing or is there a way to convert to AWZ3 automatically on send to device (via usb)? Assuming I'm manually connecting the device, want it to show up as a 'book', and want cover to show up, (which seem like the main deciding factors in format).
Old 11-28-2018, 10:03 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If you use Send To Device, AND a device suitable format does not already exist, Calibre will offer to 'Auto convert'. (it just adds a short time to go from Epub to AZW3)

Be sure to set up your Plugboard (I insert {Series index} info into {title} and use collections for the Series, BUT you can't use Kindle Collections PI on noon-jail broken newer devices )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:56 AM   #5
mgrimace
Connoisseur

Thank you Theducks, that's a great tip for the Plugboard, I had forgotten about that - even if I can't use collections it looks like I can append series info to the title and just sort by title... that helps!
Advert

Tags
calibre, kindle oasis 2, kobo aura one