Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-05-2013, 08:40 AM   #76
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxStirner View Post
Could it be possible to port Git or any other of Glulx interpreters as well? I'm asking this because the most interresting and innovative of the recently available games are created in Glulx nowadays (to mention Emily Short only whom I"m a big fan of haha.. Btw I would recommend ANY of her games blindly especially Floatpoint. My all time favourites for Z-machine are Vespers and Varicella and these are also good as a starter for the IF newbie. Good starting point is the XYZZY Awards List in my opinion.
Anyway, I don't want to be a burden, just asking. THx for the Frotz port to Fvek and twobob.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2601616

and specifically https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...38&postcount=3

There is an "all in one" for 3 interpreters out there too...
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #77
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxStirner View Post
Could it be possible to port Git or any other of Glulx interpreters as well? I'm asking this because the most interresting and innovative of the recently available games are created in Glulx nowadays (to mention Emily Short only whom I"m a big fan of haha.. Btw I would recommend ANY of her games blindly especially Floatpoint. My all time favourites for Z-machine are Vespers and Varicella and these are also good as a starter for the IF newbie. Good starting point is the XYZZY Awards List in my opinion.
Anyway, I don't want to be a burden, just asking. THx for the Frotz port to Fvek and twobob.
Hello max.. glad to see another IF fan in the kindle community..

Kindles and IF seem to be made for each other.. text only.. no fiddling with graphics and colour.. and in the case of the paperwhite, sound too..

There are now kindle ports of interpreters for z-machine, glulx and tads games..

As twobob mentioned.. there's a single kual button incorporating all the three.. see: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=48

Enjoy..!

Yes.. Emily Short is one of the big names.. You played her Galatea..?
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2015, 10:07 AM   #78
HannahChimes
HannahChimes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Exclamation Restoring error?

(I'm using a paperwhite)
When I start a game, everything works great.
I can save, but when I try restore, it starts printing weird things like
Spoiler:
[stopped: success]
[Procedural rulebook]
[Turn sequence rulebook]
[parse command rule]
[before reading command rulebook]
for Reading a command rulebook
[before Constructing the status line rulebook]
(Insert pages of garbage specific to the command and game).
(insert the text I'm supposed to see).
> [before Constructing the status line rulebook]
[after Constructing the status line rulebook]

and on and on, pages of it.
It still prints the text from the game, but it's mixed in with the rest.
Even the quit command prints nearly a page of text, and the "Are you sure you want to quit?" is 3/4 of the way down.
HannahChimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:32 AM   #79
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sounds like you've somehow managed to turn on diagnostic information, but I'm afraid I don't know how that's happened.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:41 PM   #80
HannahChimes
HannahChimes began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sounds like you've somehow managed to turn on diagnostic information, but I'm afraid I don't know how that's happened.
That's what I'd guessed, but using the debug options, I can't turn it off.
HannahChimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2016, 11:50 PM   #81
kahjuay
kahjuay began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle PW32GB
Hi,

I had just jailbroke my PW2, and my firmware is still on 5.6.5. After the installation, frotz crashed almost immediately and I managed to see that it failed because curses wasn't initialized. The other IF interpreters such as glulxe and gargoyle seemed to crash with the same error message.

I then tried to start frotz via kterm, and this time the error message was "Error opening terminal: xterm." I saw that Frotz is compatible with PW1, could you let me know whether it is compatible with PW2 too please?
kahjuay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:53 AM   #82
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahjuay View Post
Hi,

I had just jailbroke my PW2, and my firmware is still on 5.6.5. After the installation, frotz crashed almost immediately and I managed to see that it failed because curses wasn't initialized. The other IF interpreters such as glulxe and gargoyle seemed to crash with the same error message.

I then tried to start frotz via kterm, and this time the error message was "Error opening terminal: xterm." I saw that Frotz is compatible with PW1, could you let me know whether it is compatible with PW2 too please?
Check for some recent updates of those things -
At one point in the 5.6.x series of firmwares, some library versions where changed by Amazon.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:01 AM   #83
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yeah, kterm was certainly updated to work with >=5.6.5, dunno about the others...

From the OP it sounds like it should be easy to compile.
If curses wasn't initialized it sounds like that was also updated on the Kindle, so you will need to do that^^.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:03 AM   #84
gameshire98
gameshire98 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 (PW2 90D4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahjuay View Post
Hi,

Does not work in PW2 same error "Error opening terminal: xterm"
gameshire98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:14 AM   #85
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Again -- did you make sure you are using the version of kterm compiled for fw5.6.x ???
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:34 AM   #86
pete330
Connoisseur
pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pete330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You have to set the TERM environment variable correctly before starting frotz in the terminal. If I remember correctly this worked for me: export TERM=linux. (enter this command in kterm before starting frotz or put it in the frotz startup shell script).
pete330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:43 PM   #87
Frotz
Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frotz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle touch
I'm David Griffith, the custodian of Frotz. I recently became aware of this thread when an issue was filed on Frotz at https://github.com/DavidGriffith/frotz/issues/79 wherein this port of Frotz complains "Hard drive on fire!". That was supposed to be an indicator that something went terribly wrong with the operating system upon which Frotz was running. It happens if the $HOME environmental variable is missing. Has anyone else come across this message? I'd like to talk to whoever it was who packaged up Frotz for Kindles so we can work out this problem.
Frotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:59 PM   #88
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
IIRC, that is correct, the environment variable HOME is not set on Kindles for 'root'.

The user 'root' normally has a home directory backed by tmpfs, although some of our add-ins do create a storage backed "home" for 'root'.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:19 AM   #89
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
$HOME points to /tmp/root on my pw1.
It's undefined on my pw3, kt3.
To make it work, define $HOME in a script before starting frotz.
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dialog, frotz, interactive fiction, launcher add-ons, ncurses, xterm