Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-08-2018, 05:19 PM   #27781
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Finished a couple of the Star Trek: Stargazer series by Michael Jan Friedman. Also finished The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware.

Now reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:51 PM   #27782
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
A Little Life was beautifully written but, even so *flings book like a I'm a major league pitcher*
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:06 AM   #27783
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Fifth Knight by E.M.Powell. Another recent purchase.
While I was doubtful of at first, but turned into a most enjoyable historical novel set in 1170.

Next I read Niven & Pournelle's Burning Tower, a fantasy set in the world of Niven's story "The Magic Goes Away", set some years after the discovery of the Wizard's Wheel, a device that uses up all the available 'manna' in a region. And once the manna's used up, magic no longer works...

I give it 4/5, because while I think the world idea is brilliant, I thought the actual storyline was not as well thought through.

And then The Summer of the Danes by Ellis Peters. I think this marks where I start on the Cadfael novels I haven't read before. A most enjoyable adventure.

Next up: Elantris by Brandon Sanderson. My most recent purchase. (I bought Burning Tower at Fictionwise, and The Summer of the Danes back in 2014!)

And My TBR pile is now one lower than at the start of the year! (Admittedly, this is after discarding 50 freebies.)

Last edited by pdurrant; 12-10-2018 at 07:12 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:20 AM   #27784
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "The Paladin", by C.J. Cherryh, bought from Baen in 2005. A most enjoyable read. I suppose Baen classify it as fantasy, but it's clearly set in Imperial China, although that's never explicitly stated. The basic storyline is a teenage girl who approaches an exiled warrior who lives in seclusion on a mountain, and demands to be trained as a sword-master in order to avenge herself on the wicked lord who killed her family.

Very highly recommended!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:46 AM   #27785
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just finished "The Paladin", by C.J. Cherryh, bought from Baen in 2005.
I read this back in 2016 and it was OK, but not very memorable, IMO.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:53 AM   #27786
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I read this back in 2016 and it was OK, but not very memorable, IMO.
I'm not sure it even counts as "Alternative History". Do we consider a detective story to be "Alternative History" simply because people with the stated names don't really exist?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:12 AM   #27787
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not sure if anyone here has read Sharp Objects but I'm kinda bored with it. Does this get any better?
Old 12-10-2018, 11:27 AM   #27788
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
Not sure if anyone here has read Sharp Objects but I'm kinda bored with it. Does this get any better?
I've not yet met a Gillian Flynn book that I enjoyed.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:35 AM   #27789
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I've not yet met a Gillian Flynn book that I enjoyed.
I gave up after the first book. Did not feel reading additional books by her would get any better. Nice to know I was not the only person who felt this way.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:33 PM   #27790
PurpleStar
Wizard

Hmmm well maybe I’ll just give up on Sharp Objects cause it’s the second time I’ve tried to get into it and it’s not working out. Too many other books to read something I’m not enjoying. Can’t believe they made a tv show out of that considering the content, but then I suppose it’s HBO.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:08 PM   #27791
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

After a 2 hour break last night to read The Scarlet Pimpernel for the book club here, it will be back into The British in India today. History presented on the personal level is an enjoyable and instructive read
Old 12-10-2018, 02:24 PM   #27792
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
All I can say is I liked it and Dark Places better than Gone Girl.

Just finished Girl on the Moon by Jack McDonald Burnett. Not sure what I will reading or listening to next.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:27 PM   #27793
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Hmmm well maybe I’ll just give up on Sharp Objects cause it’s the second time I’ve tried to get into it and it’s not working out. Too many other books to read something I’m not enjoying. Can’t believe they made a tv show out of that considering the content, but then I suppose it’s HBO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
All I can say is I liked it and Dark Places better than Gone Girl.

Just finished Girl on the Moon by Jack McDonald Burnett. Not sure what I will reading or listening to next.
I loved Gone Girl. I did try to read Sharp Object but was meh on it and didn't get far before I abandoned it.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:52 PM   #27794
PurpleStar
Wizard

Okay, screw Sharp Objects then, I'm gonna just continue with the Stargazer series by Michael Jan Friedman.(star trek). I'm on book number 4 Oblivion. Loving this series and what a deal at 99 cents each!
Old 12-10-2018, 03:27 PM   #27795
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm not sure it even counts as "Alternative History". Do we consider a detective story to be "Alternative History" simply because people with the stated names don't really exist?

It depends how much is changed, I suppose.