Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-22-2018, 03:22 PM   #1126
Cookp
Cookp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Kubrick prompting for password at the 'Flashing main kernel and partition' step

I've spent many an hour reading through many of the threads in this section but I don't think I've come across this scenario.

At the stage where Kubrick starts 'Flashing main kernel and partition', on the red status bar/line, where it initially displays 'Flashing...' the bar gets overwritten with 'root@192.168.15.244's password:'.

It seems to corrupt the status bar so I'm guessing it's not something that is expected at this stage of the process. I've tried typing in the password, fiona2279 in my case, but the process seems to be hanging.

Any thoughts on why this is happening or how I can avoid it and allow the flashing to progress?

Does the Kubrick process assume a different password such as 'mario' that I've often seen mentioned? Do I need to adapt a Kubrick script to use my specific password?

FWIW I can get diags running and USB networking allows me to WinSCP/PuTTY connect to the Kindle with root/fiona2279 but I've been unable to make much headway beyond that.

Appreciate any suggestions people might have.

Many thanks.
Cookp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:18 PM   #1127
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
What model are you writing about?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 04:21 AM   #1128
Cookp
Cookp began at the beginning.

Doh! Kindle 4NT.

..I'd said it in my head but forgot to write it down
Cookp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:04 PM   #1129
Scopy
Scopy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Hello,

I have a KV and I am not able to put it in USB Downloader mode.

Any idea? Please

Thank you very much.
Scopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:18 PM   #1130
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Scopy: Hint: read the thread title, then read what you just wrote.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:20 PM   #1131
Scopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Scopy: Hint: read the thread title, then read what you just wrote.
I am sorry. I am a little lost.

I couldn't find anything for KV, so when I read this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=180113

K5 : Kindle 5 (Touch) Index [may also serve as a general category, referring to the FW 5.x family in general: Touch, PaperWhite 1 (PW1), PaperWhite 2 (PW2), Kindle Basic (KT2) & Kindle Voyage (KV)]

I understood, Kindle 5 (Touch) is equal to KT, so KV is inside that group.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:43 PM   #1132
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
That holds true as far as the *software* is concerned, not the hardware. And that's usually reserved for the "K5" notation. "Touch" should pretty much always mean a venerable original Kindle Touch .

Which is why I tend to use "FW 5.x" to make that SW/HW difference more explicit nowadays.

TL;DR: Nothing we can do about a KV, short of opening it up, sorry :/.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:25 AM   #1133
Scopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
That holds true as far as the *software* is concerned, not the hardware. And that's usually reserved for the "K5" notation. "Touch" should pretty much always mean a venerable original Kindle Touch .

Which is why I tend to use "FW 5.x" to make that SW/HW difference more explicit nowadays.

TL;DR: Nothing we can do about a KV, short of opening it up, sorry :/.
Ok, many thanks. I understand now.

My problem is a corrupted book which doesn't allow the KV to reboot, due to not enough RAM memory. I am almost sure of it but I have no way to delete the ROM memory. I will try the motorola fastboot cable to see what happen and if it doens't work I will try via serial port.

Thank you so much.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:19 AM   #1134
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopy View Post
Ok, many thanks. I understand now.

My problem is a corrupted book which doesn't allow the KV to reboot, due to not enough RAM memory. I am almost sure of it but I have no way to delete the ROM memory. I will try the motorola fastboot cable to see what happen and if it doens't work I will try via serial port.

Thank you so much.
It does not work, you can go directly to the serial port thread.
(Say what, you think we are a bunch of amateurs here? )
Old 12-17-2018, 08:28 AM   #1135
Scopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It does not work, you can go directly to the serial port thread.
(Say what, you think we are a bunch of amateurs here? )
Many thanks, I will try with it.

(I have never thought that, I have read a lot in this forum and it is incredible the information it contains, so thank you very much, it's just that for Kindle Voyage I didn't find a guide for debricking, there is at less three thread without solution and maybe a cause of that I am more lost. But no, I don't think that and I apologize if it's due to a misunderstanding by my english level.

Many thanks.)
Old 12-17-2018, 08:58 AM   #1136
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopy View Post
Many thanks, I will try with it.

(I have never thought that, I have read a lot in this forum and it is incredible the information it contains, so thank you very much, it's just that for Kindle Voyage I didn't find a guide for debricking, there is at less three thread without solution and maybe a cause of that I am more lost. But no, I don't think that and I apologize if it's due to a misunderstanding by my english level.

Many thanks.)
That was a comment written before the day's first cup of coffee.

There hasn't been a lot written about the KV here, so you didn't miss anything.

Best to look up (with web search) a Voyage Teardown or two.

Last edited by knc1; 12-17-2018 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:42 PM   #1137
Scopy

Thanks
Old 02-18-2019, 09:11 AM   #1138
masterjet
masterjet began at the beginning.

Exclamation

Link are mostly dead, could someone reupload to some other share?
masterjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:42 AM   #1139
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterjet View Post
Link are mostly dead, could someone reupload to some other share?
"Mostly dead" ??
You only need one working link per file.

Once you get that copy, why don't you post it at some file sharing site?
From what you write, it reads as if you would really enjoy providing a free download to every Tom, Dick, and Harriet that comes along for a few years.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:17 PM   #1140
lj001
lj001 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
hello everyone!
I'm new here.

My Kindle Touch was bricked, and I want to debrick it by using this tool.

BUT when I used the Kubrick ISO in a vm ,it was stuck in the step"Press NEXT once your kindle is in Fastboot mode".
I guess it maybe something wrong with my vm,so I wanna put the ISO to the USB stick,and then use the usb-livecd mode.

HOWEVER ,I could not download the "Live USB Stick" file(All 3 links could not work neither).

SO is it the only way leave to me is to burn the ISO to the real CD ,and let the computer start by the CD?

Beg for your advice sincerely~!
lj001 is offline   Reply With Quote