Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-25-2015, 06:43 PM   #1
kreacherteacher
kreacherteacher began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Original Screensaver images of Kindle DX anywhere available?

I would like to have the amazon kindle dx screensaver images (resolution 1200x824) so that I can put them on my Pocketbook 912 (resolution 1280x825).

Can somebody tell me how I could get those? Search in forum, google, etc. did not help me with this.

Is there a way to get them out of the .bin file of the firm ware? I can not open the firmware .bin with daemontools though... (thought I could open it like a cd and maybe find the image files but did not work)

Are they anywhere to download?

Or could anyone provide the for me?

Would be very thankfull for any advice!

PS: I do not mean the 600x800 screensavers from the kindle keyboard, kindle 1 or two...
kreacherteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:46 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
KindleTool: Create/Unpack Kindle update files
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2015, 07:28 PM   #3
kreacherteacher

That was an amazingly quick and good answer!! Thank you very much.

I could open Kindletool in my windows powershell and use it to extract the firmware Update_kindle_2.5.8_B005.bin in to a folder. But there are other .bin files inside and also some .tar.gz and .sig and other stuff. I also extracted the other .bin files which were in the folder "05". There was one folder named "img" with some system images (.gif), like charging image, etc.

But so far I have no clue where those screensaver images could be and there is no other .bin to extract. Or am I doing something wrong?

Is there a way to let kindletool search through the whole .bin (recursive)?
Old 01-25-2015, 07:51 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

'fraid I haven't got a clue. I have never desired to excavate in a Kindle update. I just use them.

NiLuJe probably knows....
Old 01-25-2015, 08:46 PM   #5
kreacherteacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
'fraid I haven't got a clue. I have never desired to excavate in a Kindle update. I just use them.

NiLuJe probably knows....
Thx for your help! I gonna try and contact NiLuJe!

If somebody else knows something please let me know.

When I have got the files I will also post it here afterwards!
Advert
Old 01-26-2015, 09:09 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreacherteacher View Post
Thx for your help! I gonna try and contact NiLuJe!

If somebody else knows something please let me know.

When I have got the files I will also post it here afterwards!

If those images are copyrighted images (or images licensed to Amazon), then you will not be allowed to post them here.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:13 PM   #7
kreacherteacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

If those images are copyrighted images (or images licensed to Amazon), then you will not be allowed to post them here.
Don
(Moderator)
I was aware that posting them would not be allowed. I meant posting the solution to searching through the .bin file of dx's firmware...
However i have not come closer to this goal so far...
Old 01-26-2015, 05:33 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Now I come to think of it, it was only in fw5.x that they started distributing full system images instead of path files.

IIRC kubrick (kindle unbrick liveCD) also doesn't include DX images, for some reason or another -- but in reference to it, people have put up images in several places on the internet.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:18 AM   #9
kreacherteacher

Ok, so I found a quick and easy solution to my problem. It could go better but I do not want to sit around optimizing screensavers for a pocketbook all days

I found the screen savers (plus the identifications from which pictures they were taken;-) online https://markfiend.wordpress.com/2011...es-identified/

Then I took Irfanview and batch converted them (all at once) simply to bmp files (which will be also greyscale and 800x600).

Load them onto a pocketbook 912 (or 903,etc) into the logo folder and they will be displayed in the center and as big as possible. Due to other page size ratio of the kindles there will be a little space on the upside and downside but I still do like it since most of the backgrounds look still nice since the are to designed to fade in the white background color.