Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-05-2017, 08:53 AM   #76
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
I bought my PW at Best Buy after having a go at the display model. My hands-on experience convinced me to return a newly purchased Glowlight and migrate to the Amazon system. Without that experience with the display model, I may well have stuck with BN.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:40 AM   #77
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
I went to Best Buy today and didn't see the new Oasis. Employee didn't know about it. Talked to manager and it turns out the store has the new Oasis but under locked away. No display model and would only open the cabinet if I wanted to buy one. I was flabbergasted. I was also told no BB is showing the new Oasis as a display model--strictly just for sale. Talk about odd.
I wanted to see it as well, but they didn't have it on display at mine either. Very strange. I only know they have it because I checked their stock online. Has anyone seen it on display at their local Best Buy?

Last edited by sparklemotion; 11-05-2017 at 10:44 AM.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2017, 06:38 PM   #78
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
At my Best Buy they had the Oasis out on the shelves but no display model.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:05 PM   #79
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I went to BB and it wasn't on the display. Asked an employee and she said if it wasn't on display then they didn't have it. Now I think maybe they did have it :facepalm:
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:21 AM   #80
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I tried my local Best Buy and same thing: they have them locked away, with none on display or the shelves.

I may try one of Amazon's B&M pop-up locations. https://www.amazon.com/b?node=14303222011
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2017, 06:41 AM   #81
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I'll be in a town that has a Best Buy later in the week , as far as I know they never had the original Oasis on display. All the other Kindles were on display. The Amazon kiosk, had them in certain locations, but none near me. I hope I can see the Oasis 2 on display at Best Buy this time.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:12 PM   #82
Arjun1985
Arjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Oasis
Wink Finally Fixed the Slickness

Finally used some precise measurements and cutting.. and TALON grip sheet.. to do what Amazon should have done..

First I made it like the 3G version has.. A grip (used for antenna) at the bump..

See attachment..

Then added a thin layer in the slick slide... This inproves grip drastically and also holds the cover in place as well.. Since the cover does not move.. it accidentally detaches much lesser... Try this out it will help.. Finally it feels like I am holding a book without fear of dropping it.. and can concentrate on the book rather than my grip..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4332.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	159904   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4335.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	159905   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4337.JPG
Views:	382
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	159906   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4340.JPG
Views:	379
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	159907   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4341.JPG
Views:	366
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	159908  
Arjun1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:22 AM   #83
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Device: kindle v1.0
love that talon grip tape. it's on most of my grips.

/guy
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:43 AM   #84
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
That looks great! Very creative.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:44 AM   #85
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun1985 View Post
Finally used some precise measurements and cutting.. and TALON grip sheet.. to do what Amazon should have done..

First I made it like the 3G version has.. A grip (used for antenna) at the bump..

See attachment..

Then added a thin layer in the slick slide... This inproves grip drastically and also holds the cover in place as well.. Since the cover does not move.. it accidentally detaches much lesser... Try this out it will help.. Finally it feels like I am holding a book without fear of dropping it.. and can concentrate on the book rather than my grip..
I noticed in the last picture that you applied some to the bend where the cover fits onto the Oasis. Does that not interfere in any way with the way it fits in cover?
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:05 AM   #86
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Since people seem to be commenting on trying out the new Oasis in this thread, I'll follow suit. If the OP is bothered, PM me or post here and I'll make a new thread and move the "trying out" posts.

I was able to handle the new Oasis at Best Buy yesterday; they had a demo model in the Kindle display. Color me surprised, as this store had never had even the Voyage on display.

But, this was the frustrating aspect; the floor model only ran in demo mode. I couldn't test out any of the controls or settings or see how it functioned when you actually, you know, tried reading a book. What's the point? Except that handling it was enough for me to realize that I didn't like it. I found it awkward and uncomfortable to hold. It might have been in part because I'm used to holding readers in the cradle of my hand instead of grasping it by the side, but the corner dug into my palm. I found the ridge awkward and the buttons poorly placed for my hand size. Flipping it to get the bulge into my other hand didn't come naturally to me, but I I admit that as I pretty much just left hand a reader, that wouldn't be a dealbreaker. I'm also not saying that I couldn't get used to grasping the side.

The thing is, I really wanted to see how fast it was (everyone has commented on it) and play with the various adjustments. I expected to be blown away by this and instead I walked away saying, "Not for me." A good reading experience might have more than offset my poor initial reaction to how it felt in my hand.

Amazon doesn't have to lose any sleep over me; I wasn't going to buy one. But based on this experience, if I were going to get a Kindle, I'd prefer a Voyage.

Last edited by issybird; 11-10-2017 at 11:08 AM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:31 AM   #87
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
Interesting, I'll call the local BB to see if they will have a display model out. I will be very specific--not just that the Oasis is in-store but that there is a display model. The manager at the BB I went to last weekend was adamant that the Oasis was strictly sales only at all the stores--no displays.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:06 PM   #88
Arjun1985
Arjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enoughArjun1985 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
I noticed in the last picture that you applied some to the bend where the cover fits onto the Oasis. Does that not interfere in any way with the way it fits in cover?
That actually helps.. the cover sticks in place better as it does not move as easily.. Also when the cover is attached due to the slight height change (may be .5mm) when u place it on table the aluminium part does not brush on the surface thats another plus...

And afterall you can peel it off anytime if u dont like... its worth a try.. i like it..
Old 11-10-2017, 02:07 PM   #89
Arjun1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
Interesting, I'll call the local BB to see if they will have a display model out. I will be very specific--not just that the Oasis is in-store but that there is a display model. The manager at the BB I went to last weekend was adamant that the Oasis was strictly sales only at all the stores--no displays.
Makes sense considering the shortage...
Old 11-13-2017, 06:46 AM   #90
dublincheri
Zealot
dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, new Basic 2022
I bought a Talon grip sheet and it’s wonderful! No trouble holding the Oasis one handed now. I had been close to trading it for the original Oasis that was so easy for me to hold. I still have to fine tune the size and location but I am really thrilled with it! (Still kept the Decal Girl skin underneath just for extra protection.)
dublincheri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, kindle, oasis 2017, release 2017, review