Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-04-2017, 05:00 AM   #61
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I didn't get the original Oasis because I didn't trust that battery setup. This one looks pretty good. I'm happy with my Voyage but it's getting older and it's about time to start saving for a new Kindle. I may get another Voyage but I usually get the 3G versions so i can have access to Wikipedia and translations. I could get the new Oasis with Wifi only for less than the new Voyage. I'm not fond of the larger screen and it's loss of portability but, in fact, I prefer reading without the cover so if I get a Wifi Oasis and read it at home I can still use my Voyage to take with me.

I do most of my reading at home anyway.

Lots to think about while I'm saving for one. Of course i can get a Paperwhite and save even more.

Barry
I have a similar setup. I bought my wifi Voyage three years ago, then last year I bought the 3G version when I retired. Hubby had my wifi Voyage. Now i've splurged on the Oasis 2 hubby is moving to my 3G Voyage, and I am back to my Wifi Voyage for out and about. Its much more portable and fits in a dedicated pocket in my handbag.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:02 AM   #62
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Without a case, DO NOT TAKE YOUR KO2 OUT OF THE HOUSE. You are risking it more by taking it out and using it without a case then you do using it without a case at home.

Without a case, do not USE IT IN THE BATHROOM. More accidents with ebook readers occur in the BATHROOM than in any other areas of a house.

The good thing is that if you can't resist and accidentally drop it in the toilet, you can still use it. I don't need to tell you what the bad thing is. But I will tell you this: You may have to throw it away by flushing it down the toilet!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2017, 09:56 AM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Without a case, do not USE IT IN THE BATHROOM. More accidents with ebook readers occur in the BATHROOM than in any other areas of a house.

The good thing is that if you can't resist and accidentally drop it in the toilet, you can still use it. I don't need to tell you what the bad thing is. But I will tell you this: You may have to throw it away by flushing it down the toilet!
Don't drop the KO2 in the toilet especially after number 2. I don't think that's part of the waterproofing.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:07 AM   #64
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
pooproofing?
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:25 PM   #65
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Device: kindle v1.0
i had to cancel my return for the fabric case i was dissatisfied with. i find the new oasis impossible to handle naked. the device, not me, y'understand.

i still dislike it. a lot. the case, i mean. it seems very heavy, i'll always worry about the device falling out, and it slides around in back where it meets the bulge of the oasis. one guy was on amazon defending it and he said that it holds the aluminum back surface a fraction of an inch off a flat surface it's placed on, but i find this not to be true, but maybe he has one that doesn't fit well. or maybe it's mine that doesn't fit quite right.

even with a screen protector on, i'm not about to grip the reader on the display surface and without a case that's what you end up doing. there's still not enough to grip on the left and here's the biggest complaint i have about the larger size.

let's say you have the buttons on the right and since that's where the bulge is, that's likely where you're gripping it. with your right hand. now, you want to go into the menus and do a bunch of stuff. which hand do you use to do that? unless you have huge, very flexible hands (gollum?) you're going to have to keep holding on with your right and use your left hand for the menus. and i'm not coordinated enough to use my left hand.

so let's say you want to shift your grip to your left hand to allow your right hand access to the top to click the selections--there's no grip on the left side. none. nada. zero. so now you have to flip is so the buttons and the bulge are on the left which will free up your right hand to make choices. just fscking insanity. and wasn't an issue at all with the smaller, lighter original oasis so that's why i'm having an ocd meltdown trying to find ways to actually use my new toy.

btw, i turned the special offers off. i figured that now i have a case back on it, opening the cover should have me back reading very quickly and without having to shift my grip to swipe.

on the positive side of all the pain of adaptation, it has triggered me to clean up my ebook files which were scattered everywhere. i consolidated the calibre library and deleted and repopulated my clearview (mac ereader) library. i archived all the loose files off to an external drive.

/guy

Last edited by gteague; 11-04-2017 at 03:29 PM.
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2017, 03:39 PM   #66
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
let's say you have the buttons on the right and since that's where the bulge is, that's likely where you're gripping it. with your right hand. now, you want to go into the menus and do a bunch of stuff. which hand do you use to do that? unless you have huge, very flexible hands (gollum?) you're going to have to keep holding on with your right and use your left hand for the menus. and i'm not coordinated enough to use my left hand.
I'm left-handed, and I've always held devices in my right hand precisely so that my left hand is free for doing stuff that requires precision. Why not hold the Kindle in your left hand?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:47 PM   #67
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Nevermind

Last edited by mystika1; 11-04-2017 at 05:37 PM.
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:48 PM   #68
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Device: kindle v1.0
@harryt: with age has come shakiness and tremors. i no longer dare change my camera lenses out in the field unless i have a bag to hold under them. with the previous oasis i could hold it with my left hand without any problem--this new much larger and heavier one makes this impossible for more than a couple of minutes without propping my left forearm or elbow on something or using some support from the other hand.

/guy

Last edited by gteague; 11-04-2017 at 03:55 PM.
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:16 PM   #69
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm left-handed, and I've always held devices in my right hand precisely so that my left hand is free for doing stuff that requires precision. Why not hold the Kindle in your left hand?
Oh my! I think the secret is out.

The Oasis was actually designed for us lefties.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:40 PM   #70
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Oh my! I think the secret is out.

The Oasis was actually designed for us lefties.
...it's about time *something* was!

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:19 PM   #71
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
And here I thought those other guys were just joking...
His stance has softened a bit over the years. He used to go ballistic whenever anyone wrote about reading caseless at home or even take a reader out of its case for more than a few seconds.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:29 PM   #72
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
...it's about time *something* was!

Shari
The Voyage doesn't discriminate against either handedness. Even the case is neutral in this respect.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:52 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
even with a screen protector on
Remove the screen protector. You don't need it and it does nothing for you other than diminishing the clarity of the screen.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:41 PM   #74
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
I went to Best Buy today and didn't see the new Oasis. Employee didn't know about it. Talked to manager and it turns out the store has the new Oasis but under locked away. No display model and would only open the cabinet if I wanted to buy one. I was flabbergasted. I was also told no BB is showing the new Oasis as a display model--strictly just for sale. Talk about odd.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:09 AM   #75
chele162
chele162 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
I went to Best Buy today and didn't see the new Oasis. Employee didn't know about it. Talked to manager and it turns out the store has the new Oasis but under locked away. No display model and would only open the cabinet if I wanted to buy one. I was flabbergasted. I was also told no BB is showing the new Oasis as a display model--strictly just for sale. Talk about odd.

That’s how it was at my Best Buy too. I looked for it myself but it wasn’t with the other Kindles. No display or even a tag with the price on the shelf. I asked an employee but he knew what I was talking about. They had them locked up in cabinets way up high. If you didn’t ask, you wouldn’t even know they sold them. Seems like a strange marketing strategy but at least I got one!
chele162 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, kindle, oasis 2017, release 2017, review