Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-04-2017, 09:43 PM   #1
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
Question Kindle Oasis shows special offers in chinese

Hi!

I've bought an Oasis WiFi with special offers on ebay (certified refurbished). All is fine except it shows me special offers in hieroglyphs (suppose it is in chinese) on the main screen. When I click on it it says "Special offers (0). More Special Offers are available. Please connect wirelessly to download the latest Special Offers". My wifi is on, so I don't get what it want. Could you help please? Or I should call Amazon for that?
hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:47 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Have you turned off and on the wifi?
Have you registered the kindle to your account?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2017, 09:59 PM   #3
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Yes. It is registered with country "Canada". I can change country to US, but it does not help. Since I am in Canada, I can't unsubscribe through the amazon.com because of this: "To unsubscribe from Special Offers / Offers and Ads, a valid U.S. billing address is required. Update your 1-click payment method here." I don't have a valid US address. So it does not show me proper special offers and I can't unsubscribe from it.

I would live with special US offers, but I don't like that chinese text )) Pointless for me.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:05 PM   #4
hel
Sorceress

Oh my god... After playing with changing country from US to Canada and back now I don't see that chinese text anymore, other screensaver and no bottom line on main page. But it still shows me "View Special Offers" in menu, there are nothing when I click (Special Offers (0)), but it's totally ok.

Last edited by hel; 09-05-2017 at 09:05 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-04-2017, 10:56 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
Oh my god... After playing with changing country from US to Canada and back now I don't see that chinese text anymore, other screensaver and no bottom line on main page. But it is still show me "View Special Offers" in menu, there are nothing when I click (Special Offers (0)), but it's totally ok.
It is showing you none because you have none.
Glad the swapping countries got rid of the symbols.
Advert
Old 09-05-2017, 03:23 PM   #6
hel
Sorceress

Yes, I am so happy... It was so disturbing.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:32 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Since in Canada they don't sell Kindles with special offers, why not call Amazon and see if they'll remove the special offers. You've nothing to lose.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:33 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
It is showing you none because you have none.
Glad the swapping countries got rid of the symbols.
Quote:
Yes, I am so happy... It was so disturbing.
If the Chinese comes back, then using:
DO_FACTORY_RESTORE * **
in the top of visible USB storage, followed by a re-boot will return the Kindle to the same state it was in when first turned on.
I.E: ready for the selection of language.

BIG NOTE:
Everything that was not on the device when it came out of the box will be GONE.
That includes the registration, you will have to re-register it with your Amazon account.
So make sure you have back-ups of anything on the Kindle that you want to keep.

(*) Which is a filename, all uppercase, no extension, no contents - then reboot the Kindle after removing the USB cable.
(Someone recently took me to task for not saying that it was a filename - so there, the details as a footnote.)

(**) Which is a general "cure all" for any kind of funky behavior.

Last edited by knc1; 09-05-2017 at 09:41 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:21 PM   #9
hel
Sorceress

Factory reset was the first thing I did. It did not help, that Chinese thing came back.

Yes, I will call Amazon if it will come back. But for now it almost disappeared (just have it on menu), so it is fine. Special offers are good if they works, pretty useful I think.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:18 AM   #10
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
The special offers on the Kindle Oasis can be disabled on your Amazon account if you want to do this.

It doesn't cost anything to disable this (or didn't for me in the UK).
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:44 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort1997 View Post
The special offers on the Kindle Oasis can be disabled on your Amazon account if you want to do this.

It doesn't cost anything to disable this (or didn't for me in the UK).
You can't do this, though, if you're in a country where devices with special offers aren't sold. I think Canada may be such a country.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:02 AM   #12
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Harry, you're right Canada has no special offers, nor does China seem to, they also don't sell the Oasis there. Probably a Japanese model although not that it really matters.

Does removing special offers persist over device de-registration? You could try making an account with a U.S address and removing it. It'd only be worthwhile if it sticks around after you log out though.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:19 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Factory reset was the first thing I did. It did not help, that Chinese thing came back.
- - - - -
Not the same thing.
You must read carefully, this English can be tricky:
"Factory reset" != "Factory restore"
when speaking (reading) en_Amazon.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:52 AM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Harry, you're right Canada has no special offers, nor does China seem to, they also don't sell the Oasis there. Probably a Japanese model although not that it really matters.

Does removing special offers persist over device de-registration? You could try making an account with a U.S address and removing it. It'd only be worthwhile if it sticks around after you log out though.
Amazon has to remove the special offers. There is no work around.
If you live in a country that doesn't have special offers Amazon will sometimes remove them for free.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:06 PM   #15
hel
Sorceress

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Not the same thing.
You must read carefully, this English can be tricky:
"Factory reset" != "Factory restore"
when speaking (reading) en_Amazon.
Sorry, what the difference? There is reset (just rebooting the device) and factory reset, which mean reset to the factory state. I did the second one. What do you mean saying ‘factory restore’?

Tags
oasis, special offers, troubleshooting