Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-15-2015, 03:00 PM   #1
JohnRJohnson
JohnRJohnson began at the beginning.

Device: iPAD
Fixed Layout EPUB fonts not exporting...

In creating my fixed layout EPUB portfolio, I'm using free fonts that do not require licensing. I THINK that I've embedded the two fonts that I'm using properly in INDESIGN, but I'm a beginner and probably missing something. When I preview the EPUB in Folio Overlays, everything looks just like the INDESIGN file -- the fonts are correct and all the links and buttons work fine. There are no errors indicated on the working file, either. But when I export to the fixed layout EPUB, the fonts have been replaced by a default font. Everything in the INDESIGN file seems to be working, but fonts are not exporting. NOW, the odd thing is, when I export the same exact file to a reflowable EPUB, the layout is all over the place BUT THE FONTS LOOK FINE. They seem to be embedding the reflowable EPUB properly. Why is the fixed layout EPUB not exporting the fonts?
JohnRJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:11 AM   #2
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Perhaps your problem is Indesign. It doesn't seem to play well with e-books, to judge by the plaints I see on the Amazon KDP forum.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2015, 06:18 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRJohnson View Post
But when I export to the fixed layout EPUB, the fonts have been replaced by a default font.
If this is an ePub3 for the iBooks Store, you'll most likely have to add an com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml file.
For more information see this blog post.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:31 PM   #4
JohnRJohnson

This is a fixed layout EPUB not for eBooks. It will just be a 5 page portfolio I can send to prospective companies as an email attachment. As a test, I tried exporting it to a reflowable EPUB and the fonts looked fine. I don't understand why the fonts in the file aren't showing up in the fixed layout version.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:33 PM   #5
JohnRJohnson

I'm not creating an eBook. This is just an EPUB portfolio that I'll send out as an email attachment. See my response here to the other reply.
Advert

Tags
export attributes, fixed layout epubs, fonts