Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-16-2018, 03:13 PM   #1
Armybrat
Armybrat got an A in P-Chem.Armybrat got an A in P-Chem.Armybrat got an A in P-Chem.Armybrat got an A in P-Chem.Armybrat got an A in P-Chem.Armybrat got an A in P-Chem.Armybrat got an A in P-Chem.Armybrat got an A in P-Chem.Armybrat got an A in P-Chem.Armybrat got an A in P-Chem.Armybrat got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
My 2018 Kindle pw battery is very poor

There is much to like about the new Kindle especially since I replaced an older one which was minus some of the new features. What is not to like is the poor battery life. I have done all the right things but no change. It goes down about 20% in a day or so with moderate reading and no wifi.
I looked at the product homepage on Amazon and searched user comments and there are many with the same issue.
I am not returning it yet, hoping there might be an update due to the high number of buyers with this problem. Also an early replacement might result in getting another K with the same issue.
There are some reviewers praising the battery but the critics outnumber them. I would appreciate any comments and feedback from others. I have not posted a review on Amazon but will soon. Thanks everyone.
Armybrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:55 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
...There are some reviewers praising the battery but the critics outnumber them. I would appreciate any comments and feedback from others. I have not posted a review on Amazon but will soon. Thanks everyone.
Have you checked to see if it's still indexing books? This is a common issue with Kindles when you first move books (especially a lot of them) into it. Until the books are indexed it uses up a lot of battery. Several here have suggested leaving your Kindle plugged in while it's indexing because it will go much faster.

To check to see if books are still indexing, do a search for a nonsensical string of letters, like dkadjeoidjkd (anything that won't actually be found). If the Kindle is indexing it should let you know — sometimes it gets stuck on one book.

Other than that I couldn't tell you why the battery would be weak.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:37 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Note: to check indexing it is sufficient to search for ‘.’ (period). One need not strain the brain trying to come up with a ‘nonsense’ string.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:22 PM   #4
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
or just hit a few letters in a row on the keyboard. The bottom one with no vowels. Not much thinking involved.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:39 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Note: to check indexing it is sufficient to search for ‘.’ (period). One need not strain the brain trying to come up with a ‘nonsense’ string.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
or just hit a few letters in a row on the keyboard. The bottom one with no vowels. Not much thinking involved.
Well, it's my nature to make things hard on myself. Thanks for the advice (to both of you). Since the period works I'll just use that in the future. Thanks.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:50 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Well, it's my nature to make things hard on myself. Thanks for the advice (to both of you). Since the period works I'll just use that in the future. Thanks.
This is the first I've heard of "." as a nowhere search string. I'm somewhat curious why it works.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:31 PM   #7
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Yes, I am too.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:50 AM   #8
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I'm a compulsive reader. Always have been.I have fond memories of my dad screaming, "Put the damn book down and go out and play ball with the other kids." I have the good fortune, though, to live where we have a steady supply of electricity. So, if my Kindle lost 20% in a day I'd plug it in when I went to bed.

I'm amazed at the problems Kindle owners who don't read have. It amazes me even more that people who can report how much their idle Kindle battery goes down each day worry about it.

I have three Kindle Paperwhite 3s. I'm giving one away to someone who reads but I'd noticed at times the charing light would turn green but the Kindle would show a charge of 95%, more or less. One Kindle charged to 100% and, oddly enough, it was the oldest of the three.

I left the two plugged in for a bit after the light turned green and they all went back up to 100%. Most inportantly to me, is that I can still read a novel with reacherging.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:43 AM   #9
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Thanks for the report, I was thinking about buying one for a friend. Smaller battery leads to more power cycles and a shorter lifespan. I have freak issues with my Oasis v2 battery as it is...water proof is nice but I miss that battery cover. Never would have upgraded from the v1 without the 7 inch screen. Just makes me happy <3
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:52 AM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza_Cant_Read View Post
Smaller battery leads to more power cycles and a shorter lifespan.
Iirc, the PW4 has slightly higher battery capacity compared to the PW3. I think it's got a dual-core processor, though, so that might use more power.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:39 AM   #11
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
There is much to like about the new Kindle especially since I replaced an older one which was minus some of the new features. What is not to like is the poor battery life. I have done all the right things but no change. It goes down about 20% in a day or so with moderate reading and no wifi.
I looked at the product homepage on Amazon and searched user comments and there are many with the same issue.
I am not returning it yet, hoping there might be an update due to the high number of buyers with this problem. Also an early replacement might result in getting another K with the same issue.
There are some reviewers praising the battery but the critics outnumber them. I would appreciate any comments and feedback from others. I have not posted a review on Amazon but will soon. Thanks everyone.

it is stuck indexing _ have a tad over 400 books and it took 5 days for the kindle to stop indexing. also it has a power save feature under settings after it takes the most current update
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:08 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I'm amazed at the problems Kindle owners who don't read have. It amazes me even more that people who can report how much their idle Kindle battery goes down each day worry about it.
I think it becomes a problem when you have a certain expectancy for a product and it fails to meet that expectancy. People who own Kindles can expect them to be stay charged for (at least) a couple weeks (without use). When they don't meet that expectation, they're not working as advertised.

I read a lot too, but I don't always use the same eReader. If I pick up a Kindle that's gone dead in a week (without use) then there is an issue with its battery. Actually the Sonys are best in this regard, probably because they completely shut down after a specified amount of time.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:24 PM   #13
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
"I think it becomes a problem when you have a certain expectancy for a product and it fails to meet that expectancy."

Absolutely. That was a problem for me when I got married, went to college, and went into the military. That darned gap between expectation and reality.

Now, I live with my dog and read on my Kindle.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:38 AM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ilovejedd: They kept the dual-core as an Oasis only thing. The PW4 uses the same CPU as the PW3 .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:44 AM   #15
Armybrat
Armybrat got an A in P-Chem.Armybrat got an A in P-Chem.Armybrat got an A in P-Chem.Armybrat got an A in P-Chem.Armybrat got an A in P-Chem.Armybrat got an A in P-Chem.Armybrat got an A in P-Chem.Armybrat got an A in P-Chem.Armybrat got an A in P-Chem.Armybrat got an A in P-Chem.Armybrat got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I am the OP.
Expectations have pitfalls. So do comparisons such as comparing my new Paperwhite with my 2013 Paperwhite (cost $0) which had dramatically better battery life than my new one
(cost $249). This is another First World problem for me. Thanks for the suggestions.
Armybrat is offline   Reply With Quote