Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-22-2018, 10:05 AM   #526
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by hengyu View Post
I had the same problem too for some books, managed to fix it by going to "edit book" and finding the ASIN in the metadata file and deleting it manually before conversion.
When converting from MOBI or AZW3 (KF8) format calibre will extract the ASIN if present and that will be passed to the KFX Output plugin as the "mobi-asin" id of the book. (That is something that I had not noticed before. Thanks for pointing it out.)

As stated, one way to prevent this is to edit the book before conversion to remove the ASIN from its internal metadata.

Another method is to intentionally add an invalid mobi-asin to the Ids field using Edit metadata, before converting the book. If you enter mobi-asin:? there it will override the ASIN present in the format that you are converting from, resulting in the intended behavior.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 01:15 PM   #527
mk12
mk12 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Another method is to intentionally add an invalid mobi-asin to the Ids field using Edit metadata, before converting the book. If you enter mobi-asin:? there it will override the ASIN present in the format that you are converting from, resulting in the intended behavior.
This answers another question I had -- how to supply a null/invalid id. I solved the problem by removing the files completely from calibre, manually editing (epub) to remove the metadata, then reimporting and converting. Thanks jhowell and hengyu.
mk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:52 PM   #528
thetyrantcbass
thetyrantcbass began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2017)
Today I had a conversion fail repeatedly because the plugin didn't recognize reflow-style 11.

I cheated by editing the plugin and adding 11 to the list of "known" reflow-styles, and the resulting KFX opened in KP3 and on my Oasis. No idea what triggered it.

I don't think I can upload the book in question and scrambling it actually resulted in a successful (though useless) conversion. Debug log (from the failed attempt before editing the plugin) is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt KFX-debug.txt (44.3 KB, 244 views)

Last edited by thetyrantcbass; 11-05-2018 at 06:56 PM.
thetyrantcbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:56 AM   #529
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetyrantcbass View Post
Today I had a conversion fail repeatedly because the plugin didn't recognize reflow-style 11.
Thanks for the error report. I was able to determine the book involved from the conversion log and duplicate the problem.

I had not seen reflow-style 11 in any books previously. Support for this will be in the next release of the plugin.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:20 AM   #530
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Version 1.24.0 - 11 Nov 2018

Detect Previewer versions up to 3.28 and remove support for Previewer versions older than 3.24. (Newer Previewer versions produce better results.)

Support additional KFX features. (reflow-style-11)
Old 11-11-2018, 04:10 PM   #531
HowlerX
Enthusiast
HowlerX began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
As always, thanks for keeping the plugin up-to-date, jhowell! You’re efforts are greatly appreciated.
Quick question: Are you aware of a way to tell Kindle Previewer that a certain page in an epub doesn't require Enhanced Typesetting and will/can therefore fallback to KF8 rendering? Some tag or special <div> or other that Amazon doesn't like to talk about, perhaps? I have an epub anthology that uses SVG to create diagonal lines and rectangular shapes under the story title. These story titles are independent of the story itself and are on separate HTML/XHTML files. Just thought I’d ask. I know that Enhanced Typesetting does not support SVG images according to the Publishing Guidelines. Seems they should be able to support some sort of fallback.
HowlerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:49 PM   #532
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlerX View Post
I know that Enhanced Typesetting does not support SVG images according to the Publishing Guidelines. Seems they should be able to support some sort of fallback.
When a book contains a feature that is not supported by KFX format it will fail to convert. For books sold by Amazon those will be marked "Enhanced Typesetting: Not Enabled" in the Product Details. In that case the fallback is to use one of the older formats for the entire book, usually KF8 (azw3). There is no fallback for just part of a book.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:50 PM   #533
mohamedselim
Technophile
mohamedselim rocks like Gibraltar!mohamedselim rocks like Gibraltar!mohamedselim rocks like Gibraltar!mohamedselim rocks like Gibraltar!mohamedselim rocks like Gibraltar!mohamedselim rocks like Gibraltar!mohamedselim rocks like Gibraltar!mohamedselim rocks like Gibraltar!mohamedselim rocks like Gibraltar!mohamedselim rocks like Gibraltar!mohamedselim rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Xiaomi redmi 5+ ,kindle Voyage etc
How about adding option in plugin options or conversion options to always create invalid asin so we preserve our created covers and not replaced by amazon covers if we want ?
Thanks Alot
mohamedselim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:41 PM   #534
Vladplaya
Vladplaya began at the beginning.

Hey Jhowell,

First of all thank you for the work here! Its very helpful and its awesome that you are helping people out and updating this!We all really appreciate it.

I was just working on moving my Nook library to the newest Kindle, and after all the hassle of research and downloading and installing all the right programs and converters etc, I finally got all but ONE of my books on the Kindle.

The one book that would not get converted by the Calibre with the KFX plug in, is the Wheel of Time novel. It seems to me that the size of the file is the real issue. While most books are just few megs, this thing is 40. The converter usually hangs up at 67%, and stops with the fail message after 14 minutes (or so).

The sucky part is that I really would like to have that novel on the kindle, and I really don't want to buy again but through the Amazon, as the whole thing is about 120 bucks. Any idea what can be done about this to get the plug in to push through with it?

Here is the link to the screen cap with the error:

https://i.postimg.cc/HsSH9RXS/Calibr...-screencap.jpg

Thanks in the advance for any help!
Vladplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:19 AM   #535
Kaan88
Kaan88 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohamedselim View Post
How about adding option in plugin options or conversion options to always create invalid asin so we preserve our created covers and not replaced by amazon covers if we want ?
Thanks Alot
I use https://github.com/quiris11/ExtractCoverThumbs/releases to replace covers after kindle downloads it's own. This way it somehow never replaces my own cover.
Kaan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:21 AM   #536
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladplaya View Post
The one book that would not get converted by the Calibre with the KFX plug in, is the Wheel of Time novel. It seems to me that the size of the file is the real issue. While most books are just few megs, this thing is 40. The converter usually hangs up at 67%, and stops with the fail message after 14 minutes (or so).
The "MemoryError" failure indicates that calibre is running out of memory when processing the book. One solution is to use the 64-bit version of calibre if your OS can support that. Otherwise I suggest splitting up your book into smaller pieces using the EpubSplit plugin and then converting them individually.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:46 AM   #537
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohamedselim View Post
Thanks Alot
I will add an option to ignore any ASIN associated with the book and always generate a "fake" one in the next plugin release, but it may be awhile before I get around to doing that.

In the mean time you should consider Kaan88's suggestion of using ExtractCoverThumbs to overwrite the cover thumbnails on your Kindle to match the covers in the book files.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:47 PM   #538
Vladplaya
Vladplaya began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The "MemoryError" failure indicates that calibre is running out of memory when processing the book. One solution is to use the 64-bit version of calibre if your OS can support that. Otherwise I suggest splitting up your book into smaller pieces using the EpubSplit plugin and then converting them individually.
Right on! Downloaded 64 bit version and everything worked great.

Thanks for the help my man!
Vladplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:33 AM   #539
rahkum
rahkum began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Error after the plugin update of 11.11.2018

hi
I am getting the error after updating the plugin i think , i have used the pluging previously and never had an issue .
apart from plugin update i have not changed anything in my pc
Please have a look
I am attaching the Book as well as the error log file for your ready reference kindly guide me to resolve the error if possible
Jawaharlal%20Nehru-The%20Discovery%20of%20India-Penguin%20Books%20%282004%29.epub
Attached Files
File Type: txt error1.txt (1.6 KB, 204 views)
rahkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:18 PM   #540
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahkum View Post
I am getting the error after updating the plugin i think , i have used the pluging previously and never had an issue .
apart from plugin update i have not changed anything in my pc
That book contains "data-AmznRemoved" and "data-AmznRemoved-M8" attributes left over from the original Kindle source that are being rejected by kindlegen. You can search for and edit them out using the calibre editor to work around the problem. The next release of this plugin will remove them automatically.

Tags
kfx, linux, wine