Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-10-2018, 09:46 PM   #16
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by citytrader View Post
All you wrote above can be easily done with USB OTG, all people that need this should send an email to Onyx support and ask to solve this bug in the kernel as I did and problem solved, you don't need an SDCard.

NOTE: The file android.hardware.usb.host.xml is present in my Note because I checked through adb.
There are also Wi-Fi pen drives (creating own hotspot) with just the flash memory thereon or with combined SD card/micro SD support.

Also cheap Smart Watches (32 GB own memory + 32 GB micro SD support) with bluetooth support for the transfer of image files, but I'm not sure about pdf/e-book file transfer support for android at the moment.

I've been using cheap wi-fi HDD enclosure (with own hotspot) for several years now, mainly for audio/video storage/transfer/streaming, but occasionally for ebooks too, both on iOS/android and e-ink readers.

I can e.g. at the same time use it as auxiliary battery by connecting Kindle DX to its USB port and also use the same USB wire for transferring books wirelessly between Kindle DX, HDD-enclosure (or any other e-ink reader connected to enclosure by USB wire) and iPad/android-tablet/phone, using enclosure's own hotspot and installed app on tablet/phone i.e. no need for laptop/pc or network when abroad if I want to transfer some ebooks stored on HDD or pen-drives to e-reader.

Last edited by Marinolino; 05-11-2018 at 12:19 AM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:12 AM   #17
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
All you wrote above can be easily done with USB OTG, all people that need this should send an email to Onyx support and ask to solve this bug in the kernel as I did and problem solved, you don't need an SDCard.

NOTE: The file android.hardware.usb.host.xml is present in my Note because I checked through adb.
The USB OTG is working with the Max2 (cable + battery needed), so it's not easy to use. But in term of security, is simple to have a SD-Card for personal data and an other for professional. The risk to plug a hard disk on the Max2 is too big for professional data.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:20 AM   #18
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
I have diverse tablets and each one has its own purpose, I don't believe this device is for watching videos at all and for the case of the maps, I don't know how the Note could be useful without a GPS...
With a paper map, I use a compass... No battery, always true, no data sent to Google I would like to have a collection of map on SDCard to use with my Max2.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:09 AM   #19
DenisR
Connoisseur
DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.DenisR is the king of the Divan.

Device: Onyx Boox Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
I would like to have a collection of map on SDCard to use with my Max2.
You can use Maps.Me and download any maps from their application (94 maps for France & 2.4Gb), or use OruxMaps but you may need to create maps using mobac on a PC.
Maps.me is useful to find some city, address , camping, ... like googlemaps, or trace a route.
Oruxmaps allows me to use IGN maps, up 1/25.0000 for hiking.
Both can be used with or without GPS.
DenisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:37 AM   #20
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
A USB OTG is not a patch, I use it a lot with my phones/tablets when I work and I need to exchange information with my customers, is very useful
Of course USB OTG is useful, but as a replacement for SD-Cards it barely patches the absence: an SD-Card is more practical.

Quote:
I don't believe this device is for watching videos at all and for the case of the maps, I don't know how the Note could be useful without a GPS...
A device is for what I decide it to be. That concept, "is for", is weak to say the least.

I cannot figure out what you were trying to express, but (*) videos are acquiring accelerating importance in the didactic scene - not even yesterday was the last time the MIT uploaded a course, and (*) if I had the right software, I would be watching videos like there's no tomorrow on the Max2. The current state is, Floyd-Steinberg dithering is powerful for static and incorrect for animation - it is also evident on traditional screens, it makes them flash. I will be experimenting with dithering thecniques and video filters to see what is best for video on EPD. Because if you do not want to, nobody is forcing, but us the rest, we will do as we deem proper, thank you.

These devices do not strictly need an embedded GPS radio: they only need a phone with GPS, Bluetooth, the right software and maybe some instructions, like the ones I uploaded last year, and which you will have found as you searched before posting but forgot as you typed. This will probably remind you:

It uses GPS.

Last edited by mdp; 05-11-2018 at 06:04 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:53 AM   #21
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinolino View Post
There are also Wi-Fi pen drives ... cheap Smart Watches ... I've been using cheap wi-fi HDD enclosure
If your telephone (as in "your main portable") supports SD-Card and radios, you are probably already set.

What you write is interesting, but the procedure to transfer data is not clear: I could not find straightforward methods of Android-to-Android file transfer, Wi-Fi or BT.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:54 AM   #22
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Eink is so awesome for maps.

By the way, I'm watching youtube videos on my n96ml, using newpipe and BS player, it works well.

It flashes a tiny bit but I dont notice much (but that's just me).

If you get sync issues on the Note, just adjust the audio +- controls to 150ms. VLC can do this.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:59 AM   #23
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisR View Post
You can use Maps.Me and download any maps from their application (94 maps for France & 2.4Gb), or use OruxMaps but you may need to create maps using mobac on a PC.
Maps.me is useful to find some city, address , camping, ... like googlemaps, or trace a route.
Oruxmaps allows me to use IGN maps, up 1/25.0000 for hiking.
Both can be used with or without GPS.
Very correct. I have yet to try Maps.Me .
Orux is what I use daily. Note that from Orux you can dowload maps for offline use.
Also note that Orux was removed from Google Play for a trivial matter about donations: you download it from its website,
http://www.oruxmaps.com/cs/en/
Old 05-11-2018, 06:33 AM   #24
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
* Correction on my last post, newpipe youtube player works well in the sense of speed. But it has a bug where it must be restarted before serching for videos again--otherwise excellent.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:32 AM   #25
citytrader
Connoisseur
citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: BOOX Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Of course USB OTG is useful, but as a replacement for SD-Cards it barely patches the absence: an SD-Card is more practical.
I never said it is a replacement of SD cards and for sure SD cards are not more practical because its use is different, I have them in both of my phones and I never extract them from my phones, they are only used to expand phone's storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
A device is for what I decide it to be. That concept, "is for", is weak to say the least.
Of course you can decide what to do with each device, as you use your tablet for GPS as you show in the picture, there are other people that shots pictures with a tablet on the street , it does not mean you are using the device in an optimum way.
citytrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:51 PM   #26
Drew22
Connoisseur
Drew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Onyx Boox MAX
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimble View Post
Actually, they have done so with the Max series. They released Onyx Max in May 2016, followed by Max Carta in early 2017 and Max2 at the end of 2017. Expecting an update next year isn't unrealistic, especially considering that Onyx's sales have improved and they are expanding/refreshing their entire product line .
Sorry to disappoint you, but MAX Carta was an accident. E-Ink suddenly started to use its limited production line to produce 13.3 inch Carta screens, discontuing the Pearl ones. I guess that was the moment when the restrictions from the Sony contract have lapsed. Therefore Onyx was forced to issue Max Carta on short notice. This explains why Max and Max Carta are identical, except the resolution.Not that they worked hard to bring a new Model. So the true span of time between the models is May 2016 - end of December 2017, that is 1,5 years. The lesson is, the onyx policy does not favour small improvements in a rapid salve of devices, but significant improvements over longer periods of time. If you're believe a new Max is on the way this year, you'll suffer a terrible disappointment.
Drew22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:35 PM   #27
gimble
Connoisseur
gimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipsegimble can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle, Boox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew22 View Post
If you're believe a new Max is on the way this year, you'll suffer a terrible disappointment.
Merely pointing out the facts. I am not expecting a new model any time soon as they are now busy refreshing the whole lineup, but wont be surprised either way - after all, if eink introduces a new screen, who knows what will happen. And business is business - if refreshed devices sell more, onyx will be tempted to try it more frequently at some point.

If you read my post, I was simply addressing what needs to happen to make a new/updated device (more) compelling rather than to actually expect a new one.
gimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:36 PM   #28
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimble View Post
If you read my post, I was simply addressing what needs to happen to make a new/updated device (more) compelling rather than to actually expect a new one.
There's another point, too. Although the next model might not come out for a year or two, it is well worth mentioning in advance the features which one would like to see included in it. That way they can plan to include them if they are that way inclined.

If nobody speaks up in advance about features they would like to have, they mightn't include them in the next model. And it might be too late to redesign the new model after it has been essentially finalized.

Look what happened with the unfortunate placement of the power button on the Max... it is still in the same place on the Max2. Fortunately, the same mistake was not made on the Note although other mistakes were.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:17 PM   #29
rpvreviews
Enthusiast
rpvreviews began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note 10.3; Various Kindles in past
I am sure there will be an updated Note v2 in 2020
rpvreviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:17 PM   #30
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandoe View Post
Hence, my hesitation about pulling the trigger. Can anyone substantiate or lend credence to the rumors of an enhanced version, and if so, is there any indication about the addition of either SD Card capability or frontlights?
My information is that the Chinese buyers don't care about SDCards and Onyx is producing mainly for the Chinese market. So no big chance for a SDcard slot.

Frontlight chance is slim, too. As bigger as the screens are getting the more difficult is it to implement such a frontlight. It's nearly impossible für the Max and won't probably work with the Note 2 as well.

You won't check all your preferred check boxes. There always will be some compromises. I think if you buy it know you'll be fine.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote