Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-05-2010, 08:40 AM   #1
Effect
Effect began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1 and Kindle 3
In the market to upgrade from the Kindle 1 to non-Kindle reader

I've been noticing my Kindle 1 becoming slower. That or it's simply to slow for my taste after all this time. So current looking for a newer ereader. I finally in the process of converting my Kindle books to Mobi (finally found out how to do this) so when I make the switch to a non-Kindle format I'll be good to go. Also if I still need something from the Kindle store in the future that no one else has. That and a recent billing issue with Amazon is starting to sour me on them in general to be honest. I've noticed I'm doing more of my buying in stores anyway. So I really need Amazon less and less other then for things that I certainly can't get in stores. Even then I've been using Amazon to buy from 3rd party sellers anyway.

Just deciding is an issue. Just need something faster, wifi browsing would be nice as I have found myself using the internet browser on the kindle from time to time when I'm out and need to look up something. Not the best thing in the world but served it's purpose. I figure a non-Kindle reader won't have that internet connection but wifi is all I need for the most part. There's always a McDonalds around after all. Some color would be nice but not a deal breaker. Don't require an iPad so that's out of the question and even then I'd rather have a netbook over that and being limited by Apple isn't appealing. I an iPod Touch and that's enough. PDF reading would be nice. Something with a bigger screen is desirable but not a deal breaker.

Can anyone make any recommendations or perhaps even redirect me a thread that covers this?

Thanks
Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd suggest looking at the BeBook Neo / Onyx Boox 60 (they are the same machine). It's my favourite 6" reader by far, and has WiFi, a Wacom touch screen, good format support and truly excellent file management, with full folder support. It's not the cheapest reader on the market but it is, in my view, pretty much the best.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
Effect

Just looked up the Onyx Boox. Very nice. Bit pricey but very nice. Is it well supported in terms of users? Company is stable? Or anything like that?
Old 06-05-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Onyx are very proactive is developing new firmware versions, adding features, and so on. Good company,
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effect View Post
I've been noticing my Kindle 1 becoming slower. That or it's simply to slow for my taste after all this time. So current looking for a newer ereader. I finally in the process of converting my Kindle books to Mobi (finally found out how to do this) so when I make the switch to a non-Kindle format I'll be good to go. Also if I still need something from the Kindle store in the future that no one else has. That and a recent billing issue with Amazon is starting to sour me on them in general to be honest. I've noticed I'm doing more of my buying in stores anyway. So I really need Amazon less and less other then for things that I certainly can't get in stores. Even then I've been using Amazon to buy from 3rd party sellers anyway.

Just deciding is an issue. Just need something faster, wifi browsing would be nice as I have found myself using the internet browser on the kindle from time to time when I'm out and need to look up something. Not the best thing in the world but served it's purpose. I figure a non-Kindle reader won't have that internet connection but wifi is all I need for the most part. There's always a McDonalds around after all. Some color would be nice but not a deal breaker. Don't require an iPad so that's out of the question and even then I'd rather have a netbook over that and being limited by Apple isn't appealing. I an iPod Touch and that's enough. PDF reading would be nice. Something with a bigger screen is desirable but not a deal breaker.

Can anyone make any recommendations or perhaps even redirect me a thread that covers this?

Thanks

the Nook sounds like it would meet your needs, has wi fi along with 3G for wireless downloading. web browser, a little cumbersome but doable, but it's great to conncet in more wi fi hot spots, I found mobile websites works best, has the color touchscreen navigation and also displays color book cover art. It has gone through a series of firmware updates, the latest being v1.3 that has really enhanced it's performance and has dealt with earlier bugs.

If you have a Barnes and Noble near you the "in Store" expereince is truley alot of fun and great for bookstore lovers.

It's a solid e-reader, that is also alot of fun to have and use etc.

I strongly recommend it.
Plus right now you get a $50 Gift Cert. with a Nook purchase.

Last edited by boswd; 06-05-2010 at 11:22 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 03:57 PM   #6
Effect

Thanks. Hadn't realized the Nook had a 3G connection as well.

Is the Kindle DX the only reader of it's size current?
Old 06-07-2010, 03:09 AM   #7
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Thanks. Hadn't realized the Nook had a 3G connection as well.

Is the Kindle DX the only reader of it's size current?
You have a comparably sized product, the iRex DR1000, 10 inches for you. However, if price is a consideration, I would say you should stay clear from it...

In the second half of this year, multiple bigger eReaders are to be released. Since you seem to be price-sensitive, I commend you to study Pocketbook 901, which should be out in Autumn and is supposed to cost around $350, with the same screen as the Kindle DX and a lot of supported formats.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:33 AM   #8
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch, Pre-electronic devices
Quote:
I finally in the process of converting my Kindle books to Mobi (finally found out how to do this) so when I make the switch to a non-Kindle format I'll be good to go.
I don't understand this. Isn't the default format of the Kindle 1 mobi already?
stargazertony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:05 AM   #9
Effect

Thanks. I'll look into Pocketbook 901.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertony View Post
I don't understand this. Isn't the default format of the Kindle 1 mobi already?
From my understanding it is but there is a DRM (digital rights management) on the files. So that has to be stripped so it can be a straight mobi file. Just changing the ending of the file from .azw to .mobi doesn't seem to work. Though it could not sure. I went to the process of doing the whole process just to make sure. I was bored one day and nothing to do anyway.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:34 PM   #10
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
FYI, the Pocketbook 901 is going to be a no-frills reader w/o touch, wifi or 3G. From the latest video review done by Charbax the 902, & maybe the 903(???), will have all the bells & whistles and one could very well be an LCD device of some sort.

All that said, the Onyx 60 seems to have people really happy and the whole family of devices from Pocketbook are really great. Plus they are now the company that makes the actual hardware for a large percentage of the readers on the market today. Their firmware is also very good.

No matter to get the features you want ya might need to wait for a while....you can find a ton of video reviews as well as demos on Charbax's site here:

http://armdevices.net/author/charbax/page/28/

It might be of help to spend a few hours there to arm (no pun intended...d'oh!!) yourself for the decision.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 1, non-kindle, upgrade from kindle 1