Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-03-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
tsantsa
tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none yet
ANOTHER which should I buy...I know...

Ok, for my first post I am asking the age old question "Which one should I buy!"

I am pretty much looking at the 'big 3,' being: Sony, nook and Kindle but I am open to other suggestions.

Some questions:

1. Which of these handles PDF's the best?

2. As far as purchases are concerned, am I locked into buying from each manufacturers store or am I opened up to purchasing from other vendors.

3. I see the Kindle has an 'experimental' browser which I presume is best suited for google searches and email. That's about all I'd use it for anyhow. But I see now that the nook has been rooted with a browser available. Does the Sony have anything that can be used to check emails and whatnot? Furthermore, if AT&T doesn't like people checking their emails on the Kindle (and other devices if they can) are they going to yank 3g access?

4. Is there anywhere that I can demo the Kindle? I have seen the Sony at Best Buy and plan to head out to b&n soon to check out the nook (gotta check to see if they have it for demo first!).

Thanks for any help. Remember, I am open to other suggestions other than the 3 I've mentioned above.
tsantsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, tsanta.

Here is our Wiki on dedicated ebook devices, maybe this might help with your decision.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_devices

As for the Kindle, there is no place to 'demo' it. However, you do have a 30 day unconditional return policy. Buy it, download to your hearts content, (free ones from here maybe? ) check it out thoroughly............if its not what you want/need, return it paying shipping only.

\
\Doesn't get better than that.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
Ghostlight
Book Nut
Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Ghostlight is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: iPad 2, Nook Color
I can say that I am very pleased with my Sony PRS600. Here is a quick run down of what I like.

Screen is clear, and I find eInk to be a lot easier on my eyes than a backlit screen. Gesture for page turn is minimal, or you can use the buttons. You can 'turn down the page' for future reference, make notes, and highlight. The included software is very nice,and you can use calibre with it too (which I like better, personally). You can format your own text files in Atlantis (free to try) and save them as an ebook which can then be loaded onto the reader. The unit is nicely designed, and is very comfortable in the hand. There are several font sizes that you can switch between. Ebooks I have bought from other sites work just fine on it, although you DO want to watch your format to be sure it's acceptable. It's also great on downloads from free sites such as our own mobileread forum and Project Gutenberg. I'm sorry I haven't encountered any PDF's yet; can't speak on that issue. I am very pleased with my reader, and I'm glad I made the investment. Please ask if there is anything more specific you'd like to know.
Ghostlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I suggest also looking at the Oynx Boox 60. It has better PDF support than the big 3, plus WiFi with full browser capability. Its touch screen is for a stylus only though, and it is more expensive.

Unless you strip the DRM (encryption), the Kindle is largely tied to the Kindle Store (and the Kindle Store is off limits to other devices) but both the Sony and the Nook can read any Adobe ePub and PDF from many stores. However the Nook treats these (and all your own content) as 2nd class citizens, with the best capabilities limited to B&N ebooks only. You can't read DRMed B&N ebooks on the Kindle or the Sony. The Oynx does not have a store but can read any Adobe ePub and PDF.

If you expect to have a large library, only the Oynx has folders (the Sony instead has "collections" for ebook management).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:14 AM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
tsantsa, around here I am unaware of a single disappointed PocketBook customer.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 12:31 AM   #6
tsantsa
tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none yet
Wow, I'm liking the PocketBook 301+. I really like it's format support too. I don't see if it has WiFi like the Boox has...they are both very close to what I'd like really with the PocketBook in a price range that I really like...

I hadn't even heard of those honestly. On that note, how is the eSlick?
tsantsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:37 AM   #7
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
@ tsantsa if you want wifi check out the 302 http://www.pocketbookreader.com/PocketBook_302.html
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote