Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-25-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
lomax
lomax began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Custom PRS-505 cover for the slightly insane

Okay, bear with me. Some of this will seem ludicrous at best and severely obsessive-compulsive at second-best.

I am a relatively new owner of a sleek dark blue Sony PRS-505. I love it. I'm sure there are many others reading this who can relate. I commute daily by bicycle and bus- so I need some type of protective cover that will keep my reader both dry and protected from casual drops and possible wrecks. I have wrecked once in the past, and been rained on many, many times. I am also somewhat intrigued by aesthetics of industrial design including the beauties and mystique of the golden ratio / rectangle.

I have posted a few entries about constructing my own protective case, which you can read about here and here.

I will attempt to plot my progress on this site as well, as I know there are several people that have mentioned a desire for some type of protective case as well. Maybe if this turns out successful, people could emulate my processes, and if it turns out disastrous, then you can have a chuckle at my expense.

So, I like to do things in an extreme manner- for this particular project, I would ideally like to have a shock absorbing material implemented in this design like d30 or Alpha Gel. Both of these are cutting-edge materials with no real access to buy raw sheets of their products, though- so I think for now I will have to settle for Sorbothane. I think this will do for now.

I have gone as far as to work this out in Google's Sketchup to produce a workable design, so for now I am just waiting on some samples to come in.

I think a 3mm-thick layer of dark blue neoprene is going to work well as the dominant material, and I am going to attempt to encase the Sorbothane within the neoprene to act as a shock absorber. I will attach sewable Velcro to ensure the flap stays closed, and I will stitch all material together with Kevlar thread, because, you know, that's what bullet proof vests are made out of.

So, this is basically just a post to say that I am going to attempt to make a soft-shell, durable, aesthetically pleasing case, and if it works out, I'll post my plans and step-by-step guides that I tried to make it if anyone else wants to give it a go.

Thanks for reading.
lomax is offline   Reply With Quote