Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-05-2008, 11:03 AM   #16
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Harry's comments and the awards this translation has received motivate me to read this. Alas, it's not available in a format for my Reader. Come on, Sony, catch up! Penguin is pushing all of their products to ebooks for their customers. So why aren't you actively working with such publishers to get them in a format for your customers?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:11 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaas View Post
damn, latin- I was as happy as a clam once I could stop learning that language
Five years of Latin in school was enough of a torture for me!
I think it's one of those things where if it's forced upon you in school, you hate it, whereas if you're learning it out of interest, as an adult, it's a lot more interesting. I wasn't taught Latin in school - I started learning it, purely for interests sake, myself about 5 years ago, and now (even though I say so myself) I'm pretty fluent in it and able to read more or less any Latin author, which is very satisfying. Virgil's "Aeneid" is, I think, my very favourite Latin text - it's just such a wonderful poem.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2008, 06:55 AM   #18
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hey, that Fictionwise mob are canny buggers. I just bought the Chambers Dictionary I've been intending to buy for some time. It cost me $50, but with $38.50 worth of "Micropay Rebates". Now, you see, I've been wanting to buy Harrap's Shorter French-English Dictionary too, and, well, then, this "Deluxe" Penguin ebook of The Odyssey comes along, and, gees, will you look at that the "Micropay Rebates" come to almost exactly the total cost of those last two, effectively giving them to me for free with the $50 Chambers.

So now I've also now got an account with them, and a small amount of "Micropay Rebates" that is going to sit there burning a virtual hole in my pocket. I wonder what else I might want....

Sly mongrels, that mob.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:37 PM   #19
nevsf
nevsf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Harry's comments and the awards this translation has received motivate me to read this. Alas, it's not available in a format for my Reader. Come on, Sony, catch up! Penguin is pushing all of their products to ebooks for their customers. So why aren't you actively working with such publishers to get them in a format for your customers?
To vivaldirules... it's available directly from Penguin in Adobe Reader format, which should be compatible with the updated Sony 505. I haven't bought it yet, but I've bought other Reader books and they work fine on the 505.
nevsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:20 PM   #20
haridasi
Zealot
haridasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enough

Device: irex iliad
I've added the book to my wishlist. Which seems to just get bigger and bigger.. After discovering the ebook device I have rediscovered books.
haridasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2008, 02:35 PM   #21
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by haridasi View Post
...After discovering the ebook device I have rediscovered books.
My feelings exactly! I am reading more now than I have since I was a teenager/young adult.

Lelah
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:39 PM   #22
haridasi
Zealot
haridasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enoughharidasi will become famous soon enough

Device: irex iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmarie View Post
My feelings exactly! I am reading more now than I have since I was a teenager/young adult.

Lelah
Almost the same here. I read a lot when I was younger (I checked out two plastic bags from the library once, and finished reading them all before I had to return them).

And I must say, Mobileread makes it easy to find things to read about. And there's a lot of free offers around.

But I still buy a lot of books.
haridasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:47 AM   #23
Surfergirl
Enthusiast
Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505 (Blue)/PRS-505 (Red)/iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think it's one of those things where if it's forced upon you in school, you hate it, whereas if you're learning it out of interest, as an adult, it's a lot more interesting. I wasn't taught Latin in school - I started learning it, purely for interests sake, myself about 5 years ago, and now (even though I say so myself) I'm pretty fluent in it and able to read more or less any Latin author, which is very satisfying. Virgil's "Aeneid" is, I think, my very favourite Latin text - it's just such a wonderful poem.
Hi Harry

One of the things I most regret in life was not taking the opportunity to learn Latin when I was in school. How did you start learning it - was it a course, or book, or what?

Irene
Surfergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:42 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfergirl View Post
Hi Harry

One of the things I most regret in life was not taking the opportunity to learn Latin when I was in school. How did you start learning it - was it a course, or book, or what?

Irene
I learned initially by doing a course with the Open University - that's a very well-known national "distance learning" university here in the UK. Why not try local colleges and universities and see if they offer evening classes or other courses - very many do.

In addition, there are a number of excellent books aimed at complete beginners.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:33 AM   #25
Cookie Monster
Connoisseur
Cookie Monster doesn't litterCookie Monster doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfergirl View Post
Hi Harry

Irene
At school with good old Mrs Whittome it was the Cambridge Latin Course. That was good although since i've recently started relearning my latin i've found Wheelock's Latin to be invaluable. It's used by many universities and you can find lots of vocab flash cards and tests for it online.

If you get Wheelocks buy the Comprehensive Guide as well. One final thing don't forget to download an answer key
Cookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:24 AM   #26
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
anyone have a clue why there's such a price difference between the left/right editions of this book on BoB?
http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...06971&v=buynow
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:00 PM   #27
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
The Fagles' translations are amazing...
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:24 PM   #28
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Oh, btw: the Fagles translation of the Aeneid is (currently?) only 6$ at eBooks.com.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:51 AM   #29
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Alas, it's not available in a format for my Reader. Come on, Sony, catch up!
I don't expect Sony to 'catch up' any time soon. I choose to buy MS Lit books, strip, then convert them to lrf. I know some people have an issue with this, and the law probably does too, but I have no qualms about it since I'm not distributing it and am only putting it into a form I can use after buying it, or at least the rights to read it.

The way I look at it is, if I bought a pbook and had to tear the pages out one by one in order to read it, it's my book, it's my choice if I need to effectively destroy it to read it. I've bought the rights to read it, and may do so in whatever way I need to. So, if I buy an ebook, I've bought the rights to read it, and can do what I need to, to do so. I don't see any reason to let a format issue stop me after I've paid my money.

And this is a good deal at Fictionwise right now, I'll be getting it this weekend, I think. Thanks for the reccomendation, HarryT! This is one I've been meaning to read, and I probably would've ended up getting a pd version.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:04 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
The Fagles' translations are amazing...
I think, personally, that Richard Lattimore's translations of the "Odyssey" and the "Iliad" are hard to beat. Fagles' are great as poems in their own right, but they aren't so faithful to the original as translations.