Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-31-2008, 09:48 AM   #31
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Screen savers? Why do you need screen savers on an eInk device? It doesn't suffer "burn in" like a CRT does!
They are used as a signal that the Kindle is in sleep mode, so they are actually "battery savers". If the wireless is explicitly turned off, I don't know how much difference it makes. I also saw a post, which I did not necessarily believe, that the screen saver mode is identical to actually turning the device off (except that the latter gives a blank screen - again as a visual clue that it is "off").
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:08 AM   #32
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
They are used as a signal that the Kindle is in sleep mode, so they are actually "battery savers". If the wireless is explicitly turned off, I don't know how much difference it makes.
Yes, I wonder this about my Kindle, they don't make it very clear in the docs. It has what is called "sleep mode" which you can put the device in, or it goes into itself after you don't turn a page for a while. This is when the "screen saver" pics are displayed. Or, you can turn the "power" switch off which blanks the screen.

So, is the only difference between sleep mode and off that the screen displays a pic? Of course, they screen doesn't need power to display the pic so there is no difference there. Turning the machine on and taking it out of sleep mode seem to take the same amount of time... about 5 seconds.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2008, 12:07 PM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thank you - that makes sense. It sounds a little like the Gen3's auto power-off feature, but that just blanks the screen (and powers off the machine) after a certain period of inactivity.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:46 PM   #34
honeybunny
Connoisseur
honeybunny has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2 GSM
I think it's just meant to be pretty. They used beautiful greyscale bitmaps that look fabulous in greyscale and on the eInk display. Some people here have made more images that you can add, as well.
honeybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:48 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
They are used as a signal that the Kindle is in sleep mode, so they are actually "battery savers". If the wireless is explicitly turned off, I don't know how much difference it makes. I also saw a post, which I did not necessarily believe, that the screen saver mode is identical to actually turning the device off (except that the latter gives a blank screen - again as a visual clue that it is "off").
Battery savers? NOPE! Battery wasters. Every time the screen updates, some of the battery is used. So this "screen saver" is actually not needed to save the screen nor is it saving any battery life. It's just a feature that's not needed at all since it doesn't do what it is claimed it does.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2008, 11:54 PM   #36
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I like the feature. I use it as an opportunity to upload my own pics containing contact information should my Kindle be lost or "walk away".
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:08 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Battery savers? NOPE! Battery wasters. Every time the screen updates, some of the battery is used. So this "screen saver" is actually not needed to save the screen nor is it saving any battery life. It's just a feature that's not needed at all since it doesn't do what it is claimed it does.
But it's not using any battery life either (provided it's just a static image); it takes just as much battery power to blank the screen as it does to display any other image .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:08 PM   #38
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Its just showing the screen saver image, no updates to the display.

Doesn't the kindle search index database get updated in suspend mode (assuming you recently bought some books that have yet to be indexed)?

-d
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #39
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
You're all forgetting: it disables the next/prev keys and any other keys which may lose your place in the book. The HOME button, the search button, etc..... It may be saving some battery by not scanning those buttons -- but it sure saves frustration of having lost your place in the book!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote