Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-29-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
aan
aan began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Question Help finding a book

I'm new to "ebooks" and I just recently bought a Nook, refurbished for only $89! There are a few books I want to read but I am having trouble finding them.

I've read many things on this site that have been helpful so far, but some of them were too "in-depth" for what I want to do.

The book I'm looking for is called "Stone of Tears" by Terry Goodkind, I just finished reading the first in the series and am looking to read the 2nd now. Anyways, its not available on the Nook Store, so what are my other options?

I know you can check out books from a library, but that's kind of confusing so far to me...can I only check out books from my local library's ebook catalog? Or can I use any library?

Thanks for the help!
aan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Personally I do not have much faith in library lending, hopefully some one else will be along that can help there. I believe that the Nook can handle epub formated books which means that you can get book 2 anywhere at all. I have done some looking around the information super highway and I am yet to find the book anywhere in an electronic format, you might have to buy it in dead wood format and read that http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Sto...+stone+of+tear.

What may be happending is that the publisher, TOR books may have neglected to produce the electronic format version of book 2, this happends sometime.

I read the book many years ago and let me tell you this book is better then book one, in my opinion. In this book you will read about a spelled temple where wizzards are trained and the women who work there. In the late part of the book you will read about the towers and the Emperor. I will say nothing more about the content since it will ruin the book.

Last edited by jbcohen; 03-29-2011 at 01:02 PM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
The publisher seems to want people to pirate it instead.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:07 PM   #4
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Apparently there's no legit epub version of Stone of Tears available. (Amazon does have a Kindle version, which means you'd have to strip the DRM and convert it to epub format for your Nook.)

Re using a library: You can check out books from any library for which you have a library card. You can go to your library's Web site and see which ebooks are available; sadly, many libraries have only a limited selection.

Some libraries will allow nonresidents to obtain library cards for a yearly fee. Free Library of Philadelphia is one such; the card now costs $35.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy it around here.

What format did you read the first book in?

So far, the only ebook format I've found is in Kindle; which doesn't help you at all. You may be out of luck for an ePub version.

As to the library, you can only use libraries you belong to. Your first step is to see if your library offers ebooks. If it does, then join. After that, visit the ebook page and download Adobe Digital Editions and OverDrive Media Console to your computer.

Also, check to see which other libraries your library has reciprocal borrowing agreements with. Joining them gives you even greater flexibility with borrowing books. My library system has agreements with over a dozen other library systems and I've joined more than half of them. It comes in handy when the book you want is on a waiting list. Checking the others might find it available or on a shorter waiting list.

Feel free to ask detailed questions about setting up your library account and downloading books. It's really quite easy.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
aan

I read the first book in "real" book format as I didn't have the nook yet. I read somewhere about stripping DRM, is that what calibre is for? If so, can I just buy that book from amazon, strip the DRM, and load it onto my nook?
Old 03-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #7
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
So far, the only ebook format I've found is in Kindle;
It must be limited to Americans only then because there isn't one on Amazon UK. I'd watch out it wasn't Topaz format before you buy it, that would be a pain to convert to epub and it will be full of OCR mistakes when you do.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
You can also do a search on Overdrive (the system most libraries use for ebooks and audiobooks) and it will help you find which library has a particular title: http://search.overdrive.com/

In this case, Stone of Tears only seems to be an Audiobook, not an ebook.
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:12 PM   #9
Cordanim
Kindle Newbie
Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Cordanim , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G, Kindle 3 3G, iPad 2, BlackBerry Bold 9900
Well, I can't help you find an ePub version, but I will tell you that the Sword of Truth series is still the absolute best fantasy epic I've read.

ENJOY!

Kev
Cordanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:36 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Buy Stone of Tears from Amazon, strip out the DRM, convert to ePub using Calibre and then pirate the hell out of it for being an exclusive eBook.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:17 PM   #11
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
I just did a search on Overdrive and Stone of Tears is available for lending as an audiobook at many digital libraries, including the Free Library of Philadelphia (here) and the Singapore Library (here).

Sorry, didn't notice that the audiobook availability was already noted
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiSara View Post
You can also do a search on Overdrive (the system most libraries use for ebooks and audiobooks) and it will help you find which library has a particular title: http://search.overdrive.com/

In this case, Stone of Tears only seems to be an Audiobook, not an ebook.

Last edited by Loosheesh; 03-29-2011 at 07:19 PM. Reason: to clarify
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:13 AM   #12
aan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordanim View Post
Well, I can't help you find an ePub version, but I will tell you that the Sword of Truth series is still the absolute best fantasy epic I've read.

ENJOY!

Kev

Exactly, I haven't read a whole lot of fantasy novels before, but I LOVED the first book, couldn't put it down. Anyways, I may just end up buying the hard copy of the book so I can start reading it soon. Went and looked at the local BN today...surprisingly they did not have a copy of it in the store, either.