Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 08-24-2007, 08:59 PM   #1
Archergal5219
Semi-retired semi-hero
Archergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Palm Zire71, EEE PC901, Sony PRS-505
Greetings all

New member here, directed over from Charlie Stross' note about Mobipocket. I found that thread and read it, and am glad to see that Mobipocket is mostly up again.

I bought my first PDA about a week after I found you could read books on it. I'm still reading book on a Palm device (Zire 71), but I'm worried about what I can replace it with when Palm goes away.

I'm somewhat insomniac, so I do most of my ebook reading in bed at night with the lights off. I definitely need a backlit screen! I like that the Palm will turn itself off after I fall asleep.
Archergal5219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:33 PM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Welcome. Glad you found us!

If you don't mind the smaller screen on a PDA, you may not really have to worry much about Palm going away. First of all, you are likely to see new Palm devices (well smartphones, anyway) with Linux based O/S that runs many Palm apps. You can run Palm apps on Win Mobile also with StyleTap emulator. If the lower resolution with Win Mobile bothers you, rest assured that will move up in the future. And, finally, you have hope with Access, the company that bought PalmSource and has their own PalmOS-compatible O/S coming out in the "near" future. I think reading opportunities and options on handhelds will increase, not decrease! Plus, in the meantime, you might find other dedicated e-book devices with backlights in the future also!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 04:02 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
If the lower resolution with Win Mobile bothers you, rest assured that will move up in the future.
I'm not with you, Bob - what "lower resolution"? I have a Windows Mobile-based HP iPaq 4700 which is full VGA res (640x480). Is this a lower resolution than Palm devices?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote