Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-03-2010, 12:38 AM   #1
hanuman38
hanuman38 began at the beginning.

Device: Barnes & Noble Nook
Cool ADB cannot connect to Nook with softroot 1.3?

Hi, folks.

Being a noob here, I may very well be asking a question that's already been discussed here. If so, I apologize.

I've had my Nook for about two weeks, and just successfully installed softroot 1.3. However, I can't get ADB to connect to it. I've verified that my Nook is connected to wi-fi, verified the IP address... "adb connect NOOK_IP:5555" yields the error message, "unable to connect to NOOK_IP:5555".

I'm looking into the possibility that my wireless router is preventing my computer from talking to the Nook over my WLAN... but am wondering if I'm missing something. Is there a way to work around this with USB?

And in any case... I'm really enjoying my Nook, I'm grateful to the folks who developed it as well as those at NookDevs who developed the softroot, and I'm glad there's so much good info here. Thanks!
hanuman38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:10 AM   #2
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanuman38 View Post
Hi, folks.

Being a noob here, I may very well be asking a question that's already been discussed here. If so, I apologize.

I've had my Nook for about two weeks, and just successfully installed softroot 1.3. However, I can't get ADB to connect to it. I've verified that my Nook is connected to wi-fi, verified the IP address... "adb connect NOOK_IP:5555" yields the error message, "unable to connect to NOOK_IP:5555".
You are supposed to replace "NOOK_IP" with your Nooks IP address. For example, mine would be "adb connect 192.168.2.3:5555" without quotes. You can find your IP address in the wifi menu under settings on your nook.

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
hanuman38

Hi, Eddie... and thanks. I did use the actual IP address. I should have been clearer on that. Thanks for the reply, though, and the chance to confirm that part of the process. Have a great day!
Old 05-03-2010, 05:50 PM   #4
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
To make sure wifi was enabled I went to the shop app so I knew it would have a network. I also got an error the first time so I wanted to make sure the nook didn't shut down the wifi due to inactivity.

That proved key. After I finished updating it, etc, I added the wifi locker app to the launcher so I could make sure to keep my shell.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:20 PM   #5
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanuman38 View Post
Hi, Eddie... and thanks. I did use the actual IP address. I should have been clearer on that. Thanks for the reply, though, and the chance to confirm that part of the process. Have a great day!
Maybe it's an issue with your router. I have softroot 1.3 and I used android to update both the library and launcher updates without a problem. Do you have Java installed?

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:51 PM   #6
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Device: eSlick,nook
Did you try the Wifi Locker?
riemann42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:07 PM   #7
hanuman38

Hi again, folks. I haven't tried the WiFi Locker yet, but will check it out. Before trying to connect, I did make sure WiFi was enabled, connected to my hotspot, and checked the IP address.

The router is a D-Link, and I think by default they don't allow different devices on the WLAN to talk to one another. I have a Linksys router in storage, so I might get that and give it a try tomorrow. Thanks again.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:22 AM   #8
nabour
Gaget-lovin' Nana
nabour began at the beginning.

Device: Classic Nook, Nookcolor
I'm having the same problem. Installed the 1.3 softroot - went smoothly. I upgraded the library app, but when I tried to upgrade the launcher app I my computer does not recognize the Nook IP number.

Also, I notice that (this is new with the 1.3), there is no longer a listing of my Nook's IP address under settings. It simply doesn't show up. I'm at a loss, but I'm also getting tired of fiddling around with it.
nabour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:20 AM   #9
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabour View Post
I'm having the same problem. Installed the 1.3 softroot - went smoothly. I upgraded the library app, but when I tried to upgrade the launcher app I my computer does not recognize the Nook IP number.

Also, I notice that (this is new with the 1.3), there is no longer a listing of my Nook's IP address under settings. It simply doesn't show up. I'm at a loss, but I'm also getting tired of fiddling around with it.
I cheated when I couldn't find the IP of my nook on the wifi screen. I went to my wifi router management page and looked for a wireless ip that I didn't recognize. I know the devices that are registered on my network. It is not a simple process since it depends on your router and knowing how to get to the management pages for your particular router.

My previous paragraph is the confession that I too have experienced your problem of not seeing the IP in the wifi screen.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:23 AM   #10
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Device: eSlick,nook
I do not believe it shows the IP anymore. I had to do the same.

Also, you may want to just scan the available IPs on your network. Use a tool like Angry IP to do this.

You can get the MAC address, if that helps...

Last edited by riemann42; 05-05-2010 at 02:26 AM.
riemann42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #11
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert

Hmm,

I think I will have to try the latest nmap on my nook and if it doesn't recognize it I can add the pattern to the db. Good idea. I may do this tonight if I don't wimp out and leave the laptop at work to make my bike commute easier
-Duncan
Old 05-14-2010, 07:40 PM   #12
solomon
Connoisseur
solomon began at the beginning.

Device: Win 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabour View Post
It's there - you have to keep clicking down into the actual WiFi hotspot to get it to popup. I.e. Settings->Wi-Fi->Wi-Fi Hotspot->Whatever (where "Whatever" is the ssid shown for the hotspot to which you are associated).

Then it will *finally* popup a status window with Speed/Signal Strength/Security and IP Address.

Somehow this was VERY non-intuitive when I looked for it

HTH,
Richard
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote