Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-14-2013, 01:17 AM   #16
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
apparently within 14 days or so.
Still not available here, despite media reports that Android 4.4 was being rolled out to Nexus 7 WiFi-only devices as of yesterday.

I'm particularly interested in the new immersive mode, and wish it would work by default in all relevant apps, instead of app developers having to enable it explicitly. I'm mainly talking about Moon+ Reader Pro, of course. We'll see.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:22 AM   #17
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Still not available here, despite media reports that Android 4.4 was being rolled out to Nexus 7 WiFi-only devices as of yesterday.

I'm particularly interested in the new immersive mode, and wish it would work by default in all relevant apps, instead of app developers having to enable it explicitly. I'm mainly talking about Moon+ Reader Pro, of course. We'll see.
Google usually releases updates in batches. It might take a day or 2 for your turn to come
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #18
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:

The update went out yesterday. I manually updated my Nexus 10, it's a very simple process if you don't want to wait for your device to receive the OTA, which may take a few days.

The immersive mode can't work by default, it's a new feature available on 4.4 so apps could not prepare for it. We should start seeing apps update to support this new feature over the next few weeks.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #19
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
it's a very simple process
Over-the-air update is "very simple". Anything else is for geeks. Well, it's going to take a few more days. It might be a good idea to write to the Moon+ developer to support "immersive mode". I may do so after I get 4.4.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #20
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Over-the-air update is "very simple". Anything else is for geeks. Well, it's going to take a few more days. It might be a good idea to write to the Moon+ developer to support "immersive mode". I may do so after I get 4.4.
Well, I guess it's all relative, but if you're allergic to the command line, then yes, you're better off waiting for the OTA.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #21
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Well, I guess it's all relative, but if you're allergic to the command line, then yes, you're better off waiting for the OTA.
Or lazy. I always prefer command line but have also become very lazy about these kind of procedures. So I am waiting for the OTA. And last time I did the Framework trick but that had as a consequence that I had to reset my Nexus 7 and re-install all apps.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #22
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

See, it's not laziness but carefulness. I have enough work as it is.

I hear there are some bad changes, too, such as enforcing Google Now as the left-most screen, and home button going to the 2nd-from-left screen now. iOS 6-like. Weird that as iOS 7 switched to the former Android gesture of disclosing search (vertical swipe), Android switched in the reverse direction, putting search on left-most screen as old iOS versions used to. Well, a third-party launcher can take care of that, if necessary.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #23
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
I hear there are some bad changes, too, such as enforcing Google Now as the left-most screen, and home button going to the 2nd-from-left screen now. iOS 6-like. Weird that as iOS 7 switched to the former Android gesture of disclosing search (vertical swipe), Android switched in the reverse direction, putting search on left-most screen as old iOS versions used to. Well, a third-party launcher can take care of that, if necessary.
The Google Launch Experience is not part of the update, so far it is exclusive to the Nexus 5, though you can install it on any 4.1+ device (I have it running on 2 of my devices). But even then, it's just a home app, so if you don't want or like it, there are countless others out there, one of my preferred ones is Nova Launcher. This launcher has Google Now on the left most screen, as you indicated, and also has the "OK Google" keyword, which I find very useful.

The Home button does not take you to the 2nd left most screen, it takes you to whichever screen you were last on.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #24
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

A Moon+ Reader Pro update has just been released, supporting KitKat's "immersive mode"... I can't wait!

However, Android 4.4 still is not available in the standard fashion (OTA update) for me (2013 Nexus 7, WiFi-only). It's Day 17 now, following Nexus 5's release on November 1st. The OTA update was supposed to be available since last Tuesday when it started rolling out according to Google, but I hear very few users have been able to get it so far.

I must say, even though iOS 7 is awful compared to the most recent Android releases, Apple manages the distribution of their OS updates a lot better than Google. A new iOS version is practically always available on day one for everyone around the world. Whereas we've now been waiting for almost 3 weeks for KitKat to arrive...

Last edited by Faterson; 11-17-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #25
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
A Moon+ Reader Pro update has just been released, supporting KitKat's "immersive mode"... I can't wait!

However, Android 4.4 still is not available in the standard fashion (OTA update) for me (2013 Nexus 7, WiFi-only). It's Day 17 now, following Nexus 5's release on November 1st. The OTA update was supposed to be available since last Tuesday when it started rolling out according to Google, but I hear very few users have been able to get it so far.

I must say, even though iOS 7 is awful compared to the most recent Android releases, Apple manages the distribution of their OS updates a lot better than Google. A new iOS version is practically always available on day one for everyone around the world. Whereas we've now been waiting for almost 3 weeks for KitKat to arrive...
Well, some of us have been enjoying our KitKat dessert for a few days now. Really, give it a try, it's that easy!
Old 11-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #26
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Nope, sorry, too busy for that, and it's not a standard, Google-recommended procedure anyway. Especially it's no excuse for the laggy distribution.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #27
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Nope, sorry, too busy for that, and it's not a standard, Google-recommended procedure anyway. Especially it's no excuse for the laggy distribution.

I just loaded KitKat on my Nexus 7b today, and it was a totally painless procedure, using Google provided tools like ADB and install script provided with the Google/Asus factory image.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #28
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Painless for whom... In 2013, no one should be bothered with install scripts and downloading factory images and hooking up a handheld device with a computer. That may not be painful to you, but it would be for regular users, besides being time-consuming as well. When the other option is just "press a button to update", there's no comparison. Personally, I'm sick of "flashing my devices" over and over again back in the old Windows Mobile days, and I stopped doing that years ago -- I simply lack the time (or appetite).
Old 11-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #29
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Painless for whom... In 2013, no one should be bothered with install scripts and downloading factory images and hooking up a handheld device with a computer. That may not be painful to you, but it would be for regular users, besides being time-consuming as well. When the other option is just "press a button to update", there's no comparison. Personally, I'm sick of "flashing my devices" over and over again back in the old Windows Mobile days, and I stopped doing that years ago -- I simply lack the time (or appetite).
In case you had not noticed, you have beat that horse to death in this thread. You are just repeating yourself over and over.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #30
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Smile

Maybe that's because Android 4.4 still isn't available for download? You know, if you don't wish to hear your customers constantly bitching about a certain issue, fix it. I'm not aware of having repeated myself in this thread (then again, I'm too busy to be re-reading my posts); I've simply been reacting to posts made by you and afv011, in which you appear to be suggesting that manually upgrading OSs on handheld devices is a universally acceptable solution for 2013. I just don't think so!