Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-20-2015, 08:57 PM   #1
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Don't read if you have arachnophobia

A floodplain in the Northern Territory (Aus) could have the highest concentration of tarantulas in the world - an estimated 25,000 ( ) diving tarantulas live along a 10 kilometre stretch of floodplain largely hidden from outsiders and deep within lands controlled by traditional Aboriginal owners.

'The head of Queensland Museum's arachnological division, Dr Robert Raven, who has named more than 400 spiders in his 40-year career, believes the sheer number of tarantulas creates special opportunities for researchers seeking to unlock the spider's secrets..... [they] offer rare medicinal and economic opportunities ....'

All they need is for someone to volunteer to conduct the study. Volunteers anyone?

Aus Broadcasting Corp: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-2...ntulas/6560978
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spider_1.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	139467   Click image for larger version

Name:	spider_2.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	139468  

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 06-20-2015 at 09:01 PM.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:54 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I once had a housemate who had a tarantula as a pet...she called it "Tarantula-cakes".
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2015, 12:23 AM   #3
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I used to temporarily keep spiders when I was a kid. Just local wolf spiders and jumping spiders -- nothing exotic.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:59 PM   #4
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I once had a housemate who had a tarantula as a pet...she called it "Tarantula-cakes"
What happened to it? I don't know how long their life span is, but I don't think it's too long.

By the way, what did she feed it?
Old 06-21-2015, 08:03 PM   #5
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I used to temporarily keep spiders when I was a kid. Just local wolf spiders and jumping spiders -- nothing exotic.
What did you feed them and where did they live? In a special spider 'house' so to speak?

Here in Sydney it's most usual to find huntsman spiders high on the walls and on ceilings, and they're not a problem (well, I keep away from them never the less!). They eat mosquitoes and stuff, and they run away from you if you get too close.

They can look quite frighteningly large, and I'm never quite sure if they're a huntsman or something else sometimes, but we just let them be - provided they stay high on the wall or on the ceiling. Anything that wants to share floor space goes quick smart!
Advert
Old 06-22-2015, 01:20 AM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
What happened to it? I don't know how long their life span is, but I don't think it's too long.

By the way, what did she feed it?
Oh, yikes....okay, it was 1985-1986....I just don't remember. I lived in that house a year, and T-Cakes was alive when I moved out. I don't remember seeing her feed it, to be honest....The year after I graduated from college, I lived in a big house just off campus with 20 other women. Serious culture shock, given I had no sisters. I couldn't take it for longer than a year.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:27 AM   #7
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
What did you feed them and where did they live? In a special spider 'house' so to speak?
No special house -- I just kept them (individually!) in a glass jar. I'd catch the occasional house fly for the wolf spiders. This would have been when I was a kid, many years ago.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:43 AM   #8
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
To try to conquer my arachnophobia, I kept a tarantula in a terrarium for about a year [it was a male - males only live a year or so, females can live up to 20 years] - would go the local pet shop & buy a bag of crickets and dump them in ... the tarantula would remain perfectly still until a cricket walked under the 'gazebo' and BAM!

How's my arachnophobia you ask?

My response to the first post in this thread =

Actually I'm a bit better now - I've adopted several spiders living outside the house [adopted = not kill on sight and give them names] over the past few years.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:21 PM   #9
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

@poohbear, you've done well to conquer your fear to the extent you have.

We have some of the most dangerous spiders in the world here, and we just get used to knowing that they're there somewhere, but hopefully not close to us.

I don't go looking for them, and consider that most spiders are quite 'shy'. Thank heavens!!

------------------------------------ (not for poohbear I don't think)

Here's a link to the photos of our 10 most deadly spiders. If you click on the photo the spider details will reveal below.

http://www.australiangeographic.com....ngerous_image1
Old 06-22-2015, 09:03 PM   #10
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I did NOT click on that link.

A few years back I watched a program on Animal Planet - about Australia's deadly/poisonous spiders - and still remember the one that crawled into the 'D' ring in the end of the handle of a garden tool and flattened itself around the edges so it looked like a shadow .... waiting ....

I still check my garden weeder before using!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote