Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-02-2014, 11:22 AM   #1
mlotek2410
mlotek2410 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite II
Vocabulary builder problem

Im new on this forum and sorry for my English but it isn't my native language.
I have a problem with the vocabulary builder, when i trying to use it and select one of the words its shows me the usage but can't shows me dictionary meaning, it is written: There aren't any dictionaries on your device for this book's language[...]. But i have 2 defaults dictionaries and 1 for my languages and it doesn't want to translate it, but when im reading an english book there is no problem to translate.
mlotek2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:09 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
If I got it right, I think that's by design. Vocabulary Builder is meant to show the definition of a word in its native language, not in another one.

So, more details:

In which languages are the words you checked, and what kind of dictionary do you have installed?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
mlotek2410

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
If I got it right, I think that's by design. Vocabulary Builder is meant to show the definition of a word in its native language, not in another one.

So, more details:

In which languages are the words you checked, and what kind of dictionary do you have installed?
The words are in English, I have 3 dictionaries: Oxford dictionary of English and Oxfords American Dictionary and English-Polish dictionary, but default in settings is Oxford Dictionary of English. Here are examples: (sorry for quality)
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...0/855/95z5.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...0/849/vq5j.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102.../834/ll7kg.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...0/850/s68t.jpg
Old 07-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
mlotek2410

Ok, now i solve the problem, I have just opened another book in original mobi, previous the first file which i had problem was converted pdf>mobi and problem solved itself.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:27 PM   #5
dtp
dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle PW1
After or during conversion you need to state book's language for VB to recognize it; evidently in your other book language is stated.
dtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2018, 01:39 PM   #6
SFRicardo
SFRicardo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Vocabulary Builder dictionary problem

I'm having a similar problem with the dictionary in vocabulary builder. The usage shows up but it for the dictionary it always says "no Definition found"

When I highlight a word when I'm reading it always gives me the translation (italian to english) but not when I go to V.B.

If there was a fix suggested earlier in this string I missed it.

Is there a setting somewhere that I missed?
SFRicardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:37 AM   #7
dtp
dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.dtp can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle PW1
SFRicardo, the book must have a correct language set in its metadata.
dtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:23 PM   #8
booktraveler
booktraveler began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw
I have had the same problem as the op for a while and I used the hint in this thread to do the following:
1. edit the metadata of the book using calibre and change the language to English (as it should be);
2. copied the edited book back to kindle using a USB and changed the file name to the name of the unedited book and delete the unedited book (this is to make sure all my highlights etc. are still usable)

Now, if I look up a new word from the book and I can tap and see the meaning of this word in the VB. But, this doesn't apply to the words from this book that are already in the VB! So it looks like the old "language" property has been with each single word when it's put in VB. Is there any way to work around this? like editing the VB file? Any tools for this? Thanks.

Last edited by booktraveler; 07-21-2018 at 12:25 PM.
booktraveler is offline   Reply With Quote